• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Folio Literary Management

Anonymissy

not so anonymous
Registered
Reaction score
Angkor, When did you query her? I think that is a great strategy, by the way: wait & see. It really is a subjective thing. Good luck with those other fulls.

EgyptianGoddess

Working On Life
Registered
Reaction score
Twelve days after sending in my first three chapters at her request, I received a tentative rejection, if I can coin a term. She said she thought there was too much narration. Reviewing these chapters carefully, I see that about two-thirds is dialogue and action. So, I'm puzzled - don't get it. Anyway, Paige ended by saying:

". . . if you decide in the end to rework your material, I'd be happy to take a look at it. Thanks and good luck!"

I'm going to put this one aside as I await replies from the three agents who have my full manuscript.

I had one agent tell me that I spent too much time on narration at the first crime scene in my book (crime/mystery). I was like huh? I looked at it carefully, it was all of half a page. My feelings on it were, if you're gonna give a reason for turning it down, at least make it valid. I have no intention of changing that particular portion, it's not large at all, and it's important, to make things "real" that some narration deals with crime scene procedures. In the end, I just rolled my eyes and didn't worry about it.

Go with your gut. Like Anonymissy said, it's all subjective. What one agent doesn't like, the next one will.

Good luck!

Angkor

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Anonymissy: I queried 5/17, she replied 5/18. Her style is very polite and personal.

Egyptian: I had similar experiences when shopping for an agent for my first two books -- "plot is too slow"/"Plot is too fast-paced." "Too many characters"/"Not enough characters," etc. To the extent you get any feedback at all, you want to pay close attention to consistent criticism. This all underscores just how very subjective this game is.

yeswecan

Registered
Reaction score
Any updates on Erin N? She's had my requested full for 3 months but haven't heard one word since, even after a few e-mails...I even e'd her when I was discussing representation with an agent but decided that person wasn't a good fit.

Erin seems to have fallen into a black hole or else she really hated my ms.!

Last edited:

yeswecan

Registered
Reaction score
That's strange--wonder why she's MIA? She seemed very enthusiastic about my novel, but then disappeared. Maybe we should e-mail one of the other agents?

Good luck--keep us posted!

budgie_brain

Registered
Reaction score
Hi, Erin and yeswecan--I e-queried Erin N on Jan 6 and got a reply March 13. I assume it was basically a form rejection, but she was nice to personalize it with my name. This is what she wrote in case you're interested:

"Thanks so much for sending your query, and for offering me the chance to consider your material. Unfortunately, I am not taking on any new clients until June 2009. Since it's crucial that you find an agent who will represent you to the best of his or her ability, I'm going to have to step aside from asking to represent your manuscript.

You should know that my decision reflects my present work-load, and the type and amount of material which I'm presently representing. It does not reflect on your material, and I certainly encourage you to continue to seek representation, especially since this is such a subjective business -- what works for one agent or publisher may not work as well for another (I'm afraid, though, that I cannot recommend someone for it).
"

Last edited:

Vermilion

Sleepless in Asia
Registered
Reaction score
^Laney and Paige are still accepting queries.
I e-queried Laney yesterday and received a polite e-jection about a few hours later.

Erin

Listening to my other selves
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.erinrichards.com
Budgie, thanks for posting your email from Erin N. Maybe I'll requery her later this summer.

Katpaws, yes, Paige reps YA. FWIW...I queried her on an adult book 6/3 and she rejected me lightning fast on 6/4!

yeswecan

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Budgie--but that's around the time she requested my full ms. and I sent it the next day! (I also queried in January) She explained that she was behind on reading queries, etc. cuz of conferences, and that she was getting a lot of requested mss.
Not one word since then and it's been about 3 months. She seems nice but very busy...

Luckily I kept sending out queries and have gotten some serious interest--good luck!

stevewed

Aspiring Reader
Registered
Reaction score
Website
steveweddle.com
My guess is that June/July are usually pretty busy because all of the students, teachers and professors are no longer slammed with school-work and can finish up the manuscript and send it out.

kyner9

Registered
Reaction score
Paige Wheeler

Five weeks ago, Paige Wheeler requested a partial of my novel... Her normal response time is four weeks. When should I be concerned? I mean, how long should I wait before contacting her about my manuscript?

alias octavia

smooshed
Registered
Reaction score
Five weeks ago, Paige Wheeler requested a partial of my novel... Her normal response time is four weeks. When should I be concerned? I mean, how long should I wait before contacting her about my manuscript?

I would wait at least 8 weeks. 12 weeks would be better for a follow-up if she didn't give you an indication when you would get a response.

starlight

Registered
Reaction score
Paige Wheeler just requested a partial of my manuscript. I was delighted to say the least, but a little confused too. In addition to the first three chapters, she asked for a short one to two page synopsis and a brief bio including any previous publications. In accordance with the submission guidelines on Folio's website, I had already sent a synopsis and a brief bio. Granted the bio wasn't much, but it included absolutely everything worth mentioning about my writing experience. Much as I wish I could truthfully say something more, I simply can't. And if she already read my synopsis, why is she asking for another? If she didn't read it, why is she expressing an interest in my work? I guess I'll just send it all again, but I feel like I must be missing something here.

EgyptianGoddess

Working On Life
Registered
Reaction score
Paige Wheeler just requested a partial of my manuscript. I was delighted to say the least, but a little confused too. In addition to the first three chapters, she asked for a short one to two page synopsis and a brief bio including any previous publications. In accordance with the submission guidelines on Folio's website, I had already sent a synopsis and a brief bio. Granted the bio wasn't much, but it included absolutely everything worth mentioning about my writing experience. Much as I wish I could truthfully say something more, I simply can't. And if she already read my synopsis, why is she asking for another? If she didn't read it, why is she expressing an interest in my work? I guess I'll just send it all again, but I feel like I must be missing something here.

Maybe she overlooked it. It was sent via email embedded in the email? It can't hurt to copy and paste it in again, just do a bold type heading above each thing. It's what I would do, anyway.

scope

Commonsensical Maverick
Registered
Reaction score

No need to make a big deal over a positive reaction. Obviously, the synopsis and bio you sent were lost or misplaced. Just send them again, perhaps with a very short, polite note -- one or two sentences -- just in case the originals subsequently turn up.

Good luck.

mcove

Registered
Reaction score
Great things to say about Laney

For anyone who is wondering where to start in finding a lit agent, I strongly recommend Laney Katz Becker at Folio Lit. She is an incredible agent, and definitely one of the hardest working women in the industry. I took her on as my agent and in just a month and a half, she helped me restructure my book proposal and made it much better organized and in better shape overall. Currently, my book is going to auction next week, in a hideous economy, and I have to give Laney much credit for this. Best of luck, all!

Last edited:

JamieB

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.jamieblair.blogspot.com
Just a quick FYI: Agent Query says email query only for Paige Wheeler, but their website says to paste in first 5 pages. I usually check the website in addition to AQ, but didn't this time. Fortunately, Ms. Wheeler was nice enough to email asking me to requery with the first 5.

Erin

Listening to my other selves
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.erinrichards.com
Just a quick FYI: Agent Query says email query only for Paige Wheeler, but their website says to paste in first 5 pages. I usually check the website in addition to AQ, but didn't this time. Fortunately, Ms. Wheeler was nice enough to email asking me to requery with the first 5.

I did the same thing and she emailed me yesterday to requery with the 5 pages. Quick reject today, though!

ronempress

Registered
Reaction score
Website
ronempress.blogspot.com
Scott Hoffman/Rachel Vater

Does anyone know why they're not accepting queries this year or when they might open again? They're both at Folio. Thanks!