• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Folio Literary Management

Krista G.

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
How long would you advise waiting to hear from Michelle before inquiring? Most folks I know who get an agent seem to attract notice within days, not weeks. This leaves me wondering if she received my email or if she's just not interested....

Thanks for any suggestions!

I queried Ms. Brower back on November 17, didn't hear anything, and decided to follow up on February 4. Still haven't heard back, but assuming my first query didn't go through, I'm now at the bottom of the queue, so no big surprise.

sciri

Maxine Fan
Registered
Reaction score
I wouldn't nudge. My experience with her is that she tries hard to get back to people in a timely fashion. Hang in there!

Chumplet

This hat is getting too hot
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chumpletwrites.blogspot.com
I sent a query to Paige Wheeler before noticing she was closed to queries. After I received the email stating that, I fired one off to Michelle Brower since she allows pasted pages.

ejwriter

lurk & learn
Registered
Reaction score
queried michelle on 2/14.
polite form rejection yesterday (3/8)

Krista G.

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
Anyone know how Ms. Brower responds to queries? Does she read in order? And does she hold on, or quickly respond, to the ones she likes?

I sent a query back on November 17 of last year, then followed up on February 4 of this year. Still waiting to hear back.

ronempress

Registered
Reaction score
Website
ronempress.blogspot.com
Krista, when you find out, I'd like to know. I hate to bug her, but I had subbed to her when she was with Wendy Sherman and never got a response there either. That said, I'd like to hear from her as she commented during judging on Miss Snark that she was interested in my book with revisions.

hoyateach

Dancing with limbo sticks
Registered
Reaction score
Here's my timeline for querying Scott Hoffman:

Query sent March 4, 2010
Request for 50 pages, 1-page synopsis, and brief bio, March 8, from his reader, Cicily Janus.
Request from Cicily for full MS, March 17
Word that she's kicking it up to Scott with her recommendation, April 4.

Interestingly, I had a very nice chat with her online the evening of April 4, which she initiated (we were logged into GMail at the same time), after receiving her email. She gave me some very nice feedback as well as word that she was spending the evening plowing through some 400 queries. Lonely work, this reading business.

I'll keep you all posted and to those of you querying and waiting, best of luck!

Mr. Anonymous

Just a guy with a pen & a delusion
Registered
Reaction score
oops @ doublepost

Last edited:

Mr. Anonymous

Just a guy with a pen & a delusion
Registered
Reaction score
sent my full ms to cicily this weekend. now I wait.

xcomplex

Fantastic Fantasy!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.arielemerald.blogspot.com
I sent a query to Scott Hoffman on friday last easter weekend! I will update you guys about the reply and good luck to all of you as well. Keep your fingers crossed! :)

senseiseth

Registered
Reaction score
I sent my query to Scott Hoffman this last friday, and I'm still waiting to hear back from him.

I hope it goes well.

senseiseth

Registered
Reaction score
Also, does anyone know if he has a preference towards dark historical fiction.

xcomplex

Fantastic Fantasy!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.arielemerald.blogspot.com
Also, does anyone know if he has a preference towards dark historical fiction.

good Luck to you! We sent it one the same day so we should get it back at around the same time. I can't wait lol. Anyways here is what I copied off the site...

What I'm looking for (and what I'm not looking for.)

My tastes are extremely eclectic; about the only types of projects I won't consider are series romance, cozy mysteries, or Westerns. My current list is about half fiction and half nonfiction. My fiction is about half literary, and half commercial (chick lit? Sure - if it's smart and fresh, and has a strong voice.) My nonfiction is spread out among serious journalistic or academic nonfiction, narrative nonfiction, and quirkier pop-culture books.
If your project doesn't fit one of the "established" categories, I'm probably your guy - I love projects that can't be easily classified.
I'm always on the lookout for:

• Beautifully-written literary fiction, regardless of the subject;
  • Spiritual or religious-themed fiction and nonfiction (it doesn't matter what religion);
  • Books that can hook me on concept alone;
  • Dark, dark novels. The darker the better;
  • Any book about a time, place, or group of people that hasn't been extensively written about;
  • Political, historical, or science-based nonfiction, particularly from academics;
  • Excellent SF or Fantasy that crosses over into the world of literary fiction;
  • Heartbreaking memoirs;
  • Website or blog-based books;
  • Drop-dead funny nonfiction;
  • (I'll probably regret this, but...) First novels. There's nothing better than the feeling of telling an author you've just sold his or her first book.

scope

Commonsensical Maverick
Registered
Reaction score
''...... For reasons beyond all of our control, this industry (it's not a "literary world") is overwhelmed and nuts. Treat your manuscript like a product and make that sale".

IMO that pretty well sums it up. Basically, the overwhelming portion of publishing really doesn't pivot on pure "literary work". Whether it's an agency or publisher they are in business to make a profit, as large a profit as they can. While I disagree with a number of their policies and ways of doing business, I certainly don't blame them for trying to make the most they can from a monetary investment they make. I would and I imagine most of you would. They are in a commercially oriented business and want and need product that appeals to the largest possible audience (of course they make some--but very few--exceptions). And what do the overwhelming majority of readers want to buy? Commercial works, not "literary" works.

There are still some places to try and sell literary works (e.g., certain magazines, university press'-though they too are producing less and less of same, some small publishing houses) but I agree that the premise of the publishing industry centers around commercially driven works. Knowing that, and if one agrees with same, I see three choices: 1) hop on the bandwagon and start writing commercial material. 2) continue to write literary works and at best expect minor results. 3) if none of the above write for your own pleasure. 4) self-publish,although I can only seethat bringing about disasterous results.

a. climacus

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
Registered
Reaction score
I completely agree that the industry centers around commercial work and that "literary" is getting more difficult to sell, but I don't think it's quite as dire as you make it sound. Sure, everyone is freaking out right now but good houses (FSG, Knopf, Scribner, and Little Brown) still publish plenty of literary fiction. It's not what pays the bills, but it's not going away either. As far as I know they're still giving out the Pulitzer and the National Book Award. The Paris Review just pulled Loren Stein away from FSG. It's a tough sell right now, no doubt, but the arts aren't dead.

Roly

silly puppy monster
Registered
Reaction score
I remember resending one in Feb and I still haven't heard back. Maybe no response = no.

senseiseth

Registered
Reaction score
i certainly hope so, because i hate not knowing what's going on.

oh and good luck to youxcomplex, i hope everything goes well.

ronempress

Registered
Reaction score
Website
ronempress.blogspot.com
All ye who have waited on Michelle past 6 weeks, send her a status query. Use a different email if you don't get a response. She responded immediately yesterday and asked me to resend.