The AW Amazon Store
Buy books by AWers

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: E-Literate-World

E-Literate-World

Anybody else see any red flags flying with this contest? It seems to target "new writers" who want to be e-published. There's a fee to enter, but the prize will depend on the number of entries:
    The monetary prize will be determined by the amount of entries received. Once the competition is well established we shall be in a position to advertise a specific monthly monetary prize for placed entries.

The King and Queen of Cheese BenPanced's Avatar
    The fact there's no set prize amount and it'll be based on the number of entries makes me go . That doesn't sound right to me.

This is to pay for the prizes, the judges’ time and the time taken to format winning stories for publishing via Kindle.
    This makes it sound like it could go either way. They get 10,000 entries, that's $80,000 AUD. Who's to say they won't offer $500 and keep the rest for "judges' time and the time taken to format"? I'm not saying they're dishonest but most of what I've heard about contests that do this hasn't been too promising.
    I still poop rainbows.

I won't steal any of your ideas. I have enough of my own I'm not using.

Wilde about Oscar aliceshortcake's Avatar
    Another thing - who are the judges? For all we know e-Literate could be picking the winners' names out of a hat.

It's not just the judges who remain nameless. I couldn't find the name of anyone who is responsible for the contest or website. Even the previous anthologies published by this contest lack names (beyond the winners featured). Check out February's addition: http://www.amazon.com/Cut-Long-Story...slivandword-20

Editor of the anthology? e-Literate-World
    Preface by? eLiterate-World.com

No names of who is involved in eLiterate-World anywhere I could find

Anybody else have any luck?

Disapproving plot bun disapproves. FluffBunny's Avatar
    Third burrow on your left. Your other left.
    None. They're using a privacy registrar for both the E-Literate and MyMateKindle domains. I was unable to find a business registration for either doing a search in Australian business records. Nothing of any interest in their page source, either. I'm drawing nothing but blanks so far. I'll try digging deeper when I get back home.
    House-rabbits: Can't live without 'em and can't stop 'em from ordering thermonuclear devices off the Internet.

Please check all weapons, weasels and cilantro before entering. Thank you.

Disapproving plot bun disapproves. FluffBunny's Avatar
    Third burrow on your left. Your other left.
    My apologies for the double-post, but this was a little long for an "ETA".

One of the involved parties (assuming there's more than one) is a gentleman named, Kenny. Or, at least, signs the name of Kenny to a message. You can see 2 posts from him here - http://authonomy.com/mymessages.aspx...5-10cc3ac2fc32 The user name is "Kendo". He states in a message dated 64 days ago, that he "recently" started his website, "MyMateKindle" (that was a quick name change!). In the second message, dated 48 days ago, he states that, "The blog is growing (up to about 50 unique visitors p/day now and my aim is to get that to several hundred within the next 3 months) so I'm hoping it can benefit new authors."

"Kendo's" page on Authonomy is nearly blank; the only info given is his MyMateKindle webpage and that he created it March 13, 2013. The only book on his bookshelf is that of the young lady he was posting messages to above. That page is here - http://authonomy.com/writing-communi...ourkindleblog/.

My apologies for this being so poorly written, but I'm heading out the door for an appointment. I'll try and make it more readable when I get back. :/
    House-rabbits: Can't live without 'em and can't stop 'em from ordering thermonuclear devices off the Internet.

Please check all weapons, weasels and cilantro before entering. Thank you.

Formerly Phantom of Krankor. Torgo's Avatar
    The About Us page suggests they'll be running this monthly. The prize - apart from an undefined sum of money - is to be published on Kindle and 'marketed through Amazon'. That's pretty pathetic, isn't it? It's not like publishing on Kindle as an indie is remotely difficult. Also, the T&Cs are very fuzzy on the publishing rights (do they get the exclusive rights? Hard to say.)

I'd run a mile.

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    Underwent a change of management and went quarterly, but the first competition thereafter (Oct '13) was the last completed. Nor is there any sign of the anthologies.
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017: