publishing excerpts

augusto

Registered
Reaction score
Website
willtinkham.blogspot.com
I just received this rejection from an anthology editor for the first chapter of a WIP I had submitted:
I’ve gone back and forth on your submission but have finally decided not to include it. This is not a reflection on the quality of your submission. This is part of a novel, and I want you to complete your novel and shop it without worry that an agent will reject it because it has been published elsewhere. Best of luck with that process.
Would an agent reject a novel simply because an excerpt had been previously published? (This might explain my lack of success with my other two novels.) I've been under the impression that published excerpts were a good thing, that it showed that others were interested in it, that it was a kind of pre-publicity. Wrong?

folkchick

Not a new kid
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thescribe.godaddysites.com
Perhaps their guidelines are such that they own copyrights for the life of the work, thus leaving you unable to include the piece in a completed novel. It sounds like they are thinking ahead for you.

lauralam

Moonshade
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not sure about the legality, but nicest rejection ever? I vote yes.

augusto

Registered
Reaction score
Website
willtinkham.blogspot.com
Perhaps their guidelines are such that they own copyrights for the life of the work, thus leaving you unable to include the piece in a completed novel. It sounds like they are thinking ahead for you.

I should've mentioned that their guidelines state:
All rights revert to the author after publication.
I always look out for which rights they're after. Nicest rejection ever? I don't know, I guess I was too confused to notice it that way. Thank you both for your help!

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
This antho editor misunderstands the rights they are buying. Having an opening chapter previously published as a standalone piece has no bearing on the publishablity of the full length novel.

Last edited: