Status
Not open for further replies.

Nononana

A little obsessed
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ninagjones.com
I know that rejection is part of the process and I am just begininng, but I received my first rejection on a full manuscript from a small press. It was a form letter, so I don't know why exactly. I'm not going to lie and say it doesn't sting. Part of me is concerned because my story has a very dark ending, which doesn't fit squarely into the genre I am writing. I have one more full out and I am thinking it will go the same way because of this...

amschilling

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amschilling.com
The first rejection off a full hurts, no doubt about it. Hang in there, and try to remember that all you need is one "Yes." Plus: you got a full request! That in itself is something to celebrate.

Bear in mind that even if they'd given you feedback, it's ONLY about what didn't work for them. It may or may not hold true for others. So unless you get feedback from multiple sources saying the same thing? Don't panic. I know the temptation is there, but one person's "too dark" ending might be just what someone else is looking for.

Disclaimer: written by someone who does not give her own characters uplifting endings. Not until the end of the series, anyway. And even then, only if you count surviving with a pulse uplifting. ;)

mayqueen

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Ouch, I'm sorry. The first rejection on a full stings, especially when it's a form rejection. But don't dwell on it too much and start second-guessing everything. If you start noticing a pattern of feedback that is personalized and specific, then you can reevaluate your ending. But right now, give yourself some time to sulk, and then get back on the horse. This is a marathon, not a sprint. It only takes one yes.

Nononana

A little obsessed
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ninagjones.com
Thanks to you both. I am actually already feeling okay about it. I was still kind of buzzing from getting two requests for fulls in as many days. I was preparing myself for the fact that likely the good news wouldn't keep coming, but you always have that little voice in you thinking it could happen! As far as the ending, I am pretty committed to it. To me, changing that aspect would ruin the integrity of the story. Trying to find small presses that don't require happy endings or even happy for now endings in my genre is tough! But then, who knows, maybe it was something else. I'll never know in this case. :Shrug:

sovermonter

Registered
Reaction score
Nina,

Please don't sweat one form reject. I'm new here, but from what I understand,form rejections on fulls are common and getting commoner. They don't mean the ms. needs any surgery. Maybe run the ending past a couple of trusted readers. Good luck!

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com
There are so many variables that come into play with a full rejection, form or not, that it just isn't worth spending precious emotional time on. Take it for what it is and move on. You will develop a thickening of the epidermis, to the point that these unpleasant buggers will nearly roll off your back like water. But that involves redoubling your efforts and hitting the sub trail. Again, again and again. "Submit until hell won't have it", as James says.

Oh, and the best of luck and success to you!

tri

NoblinGoblin

I write in bed.
Registered
Reaction score
So far, I've gotten about four rejections after I've sent out requested partials. I have two fulls and two partials that I'm waiting to hear back from. I'm not sure how I'll feel if I'm rejected after submitting the fulls, but my guess is that it will suck. Yes, the first rejection stings, but so do subsequent rejections. That said, don't give up, and don't allow that rejection to cloud your optimism. :)

Nononana

A little obsessed
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ninagjones.com
Awww, thanks everyone! This is my first book and it is nice to be able to hear from people going through the same trials as I don't know any other fiction writers.

I got another rejection today, but this time there was some specific feedback. It was flattering despite the aspects they thought were not a good fit for them. I am not sure I agree with all the feedback, as it is very subjective, but I think it's a good sign that someone thought well enough of the manuscript to provide specific feedback even if they didn't think it was right for their house. They sort of implied that they were willing to look at it in the future again, but I think too many changes to the core of my story/characters would be required to be in line with the type of romance they want the book to become. This specific publisher does require happy endings (or happy for now), but when I submitted the ms, they asked me about this and I told them at best the ending could be interpreted as "happy for now" and sent them the last few paragraphs to make sure it was worth their time. They still took a stab at reading the whole thing. So I guess that's good that they still wanted to give it a go after reading the less than happy ending.

Today's rejection didn't hurt as much as the first, I think because the form letter was kind of a dagger, it felt much colder than the personalized rejection I got today.

I have another requested full out, which is making me really nervous. This publisher does not require happy endings, so I am going a little nutz-o waiting on a response!

duru_antilles

Registered
Reaction score
I have two rejections on fulls so far and neither came personalized with more than one line of very lukewarm praise. "There are some things here to admire" or "this is unique but not for me." The helpful rejection of more than two sentences is like some mythical creature. Haha.

Last edited:

Valkyrie

Registered
Reaction score
I am so sorry to hear that. But they're a small press, and the fact that you've had two full requests means your book stands out! So you shouldn't sweat it, and be proud that you've written something that is so well-written and marketable that you've gotten such requests in your first place. You're just one step closer to getting it published!

ohheyyrach77

Awesome.
Registered
Reaction score
You got a request for a full! Congrats!
Look on the bright side! That's still a big deal.

Keep all of your rejections so when it's published you can tell all the reporters exactly how many idiots turned down your best seller.

Status
Not open for further replies.