Freelancing Industry Changes

Jack Parker

Sleep is only caffeine deprivation.
Registered
Reaction score
How has the industry changed for freelance writers in the last five years?

When the economy fell apart in 2008, did that change anything for those of you who have been freelancing for years?

What did that time mean for those of you who began freelancing around the time of the market collapse and how have things changed since then?

I ask these questions because I absolutely cannot stomach working for someone else anymore. Just... no. I can't handle the politics, lies, policies, lack of rewards (emotional or physical), games, and everything else that goes along with working for companies anymore. Hard work and a strong work ethic just don't matter and they certainly don't pay-off anymore. All companies are looking for are "warm bodies" who show-up and will work inhumanely hard. (Including making up for the work the lazy ones don't do but the company can't deal with or fire for fear of lawsuits.)

Seriously, I can't do it. I don't want to train for anything else either. That leaves writing as the only thing I have any interest in.

I'm not under any delusions that it's easy but I DO know that I can do this and do it well.

So, how has the industry changed in the last five years for those of you with years of experience? For those of you who began freelance writing careers within the last couple of years, what has been your biggest challenge or obstacle to overcome?

Finish this sentence: "If I knew then what I know now..."

Offerings of advice, warnings and encouragement will all be received with intense gratitude!

I've read the Sticky Threads and gone through quite a bit of the archives to answer most questions. One thing that struck me is how many people have been willing to write lengthy articles for so very little money! I have to think that this has only damaged and hindered a fair pay structure for freelance writers. From what I've learned in my own research, the pay for freelance writers hasn't changed much over the last few decades!

Susie

Thanks, special friend for my avi!
Registered
Reaction score
First, :welcome: to the cooler, Jack. Great question and hope you can always be writing. Although markets have diminished in the last five years, writers have still had work accepted, books published, etc. Guess we just have to work harder and smarter. I've had a few pieces published and still sending out as much as I can. Much good luck!

Jack Parker

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you, Susie! When I get my teeth into something I want to accomplish, there's no stopping me. I don't care how hard or arduous it is. I'm just hoping to get a feel for the freelancing business since it's changed. Good writing, God willing, still prevails!

Susie

Thanks, special friend for my avi!
Registered
Reaction score
You're welcome, Jack 'n much good luck! You sound like you will accomplish your dreams!

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hi there.

I feel as a freelance writer, that I am constantly having to reinvent myself. Markets change and go out of business all the time. What usually happens to me with publications is things are going fine and then all of a sudden they decide to stop using freelance material. So then I have to look around and find something else.

I like to think in terms of stepping stones. For example, recently I wrote an article about arthritis for a local newspaper in my state. I did quite a bit of research for it. The payment was only $50, but I felt it's a stepping stone to help me land publication in national magazines. I can use this clip when I query them with health-topic ideas.

I guess the biggest change in recent years is that many magazines and newspapers are now online instead of in print.

Jack Parker

Registered
Reaction score
I really appreciate everyone's responses. Reinventing myself, expanding my areas of expertise, changing with the times... I can handle all of that. Something that really burns my buttons, however, is how often businesses and publications are stiffing writers when it comes to paying the bill.

This bothers me intensely! I am a very principled person. I will not can not say nothing when I'm confronted with hypocrisy. If I buy something or use a business' services, I'm expected to pay for it. If I don't, they aren't sweet about it. They don't waffle or mess around. They don't renegotiate the price. It's "pay up or we'll take legal action and destroy your credit."

I can't tell you how often I'm hearing stories about freelancers not getting paid. Who do these businesses think they are? They don't stand for it when it comes to their products and services so why is it "okay" for them to do it to others? They will turn you over to collection agencies, bombard you with phone calls, apply fees and penalties... and we're just supposed to accept their non-payment without a word or plan of action for ourselves? What's worse is that I hear these writers giving up or just letting it slide. I don't get it.

Admittedly, circumstances vary. If I had a steady client that always paid and ended up being late once in awhile, that's fine. But for a client, even a first time client, to outright stiff you? That's unacceptable and I couldn't just let it go, no matter how small the amount. It's the principle of it all that matters. When a company gets away with stiffing one writer, they'll move on to the next.

I'm reasonable and flexible and easy to work with. I understand hard times. But business is business and the bill eventually needs to be paid according to the agreement made. Once I become more familiar with the pay structure and the how things are usually done, as well as establishing myself a bit, I intend to have a structured payment plan. After all, it's a business, not a hobby.

I promise I'm not nearly as snotty as this post might come across! Howver, I can be stubborn when it comes to standard business practices and principles. Non-payment is not acceptable. Late payments over 30 days will have penalties applied (noted in the initial contract) with any future work requiring full payment in advance. I may lose a client or two that way but do I really want difficult clients anyway?

This can't possibly be unreasonable... can it?

Francesca2.0

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.beafreelancewriter.com
Not unreasonable at all.

I can't tell you how often I'm hearing stories about freelancers not getting paid. Who do these businesses think they are? They don't stand for it when it comes to their products and services so why is it "okay" for them to do it to others? They will turn you over to collection agencies, bombard you with phone calls, apply fees and penalties... and we're just supposed to accept their non-payment without a word or plan of action for ourselves? What's worse is that I hear these writers giving up or just letting it slide. I don't get it.

I feel ya. I've been in that situation twice already (I know, shame on me) where the client suddenly stopped responding to my messages once I submitted the work. I tried reaching out via phone and email multiple times, but no luck. And yes, I just let it slide because it just wasn't worth it to chase after these people.

But I did learn my lesson. Now, I charge a 50% fee up front before I even pick up the pen and doing so has prevented me from landing in those nightmare client-won't-pay-up situations.

gettingby

Registered
Reaction score
You can set all the rules you want, but don't expect them to fly with every publication. Most freelancer starting out (especially with big publication) writing on spec. That means you write the story and do all the work and only get paid if they publish it. I think most places do pay their writers. I have been doing this a long time and haven't really run into the problems you are worried about. I think you should focus on what your writing and only worry about payment issues if you actually have something come up.

Sparklederp

Registered
Reaction score
Being able to keep up on writing markets and demand is huge. I'm finding that there's a huge market for qualified copywriters in web marketing, so that's where most of my marketing efforts are going. Writing as a jack-of-all-trades is more difficult, and it really pays off to identify a niche where there's demand and hone your skills and qualifications there.

Some folks are talking about nonpayment issues, and I've found that with marketing clients, these problems are close to nonexistent. These clients need their copy as soon as possible to pass on to their clients for marketing campaigns, and I (as most other writers, I suspect) have a clause in my contract specifying that the work is not legally theirs for use until payment is remitted. 75% of my clients pay the same day that they receive the invoice, and the rest have a given schedule (every Thursday, every second Monday, etc.) on which they send payments.

Jack Parker

Registered
Reaction score
I feel ya. I've been in that situation twice already (I know, shame on me) where the client suddenly stopped responding to my messages once I submitted the work. I tried reaching out via phone and email multiple times, but no luck. And yes, I just let it slide because it just wasn't worth it to chase after these people.

But I did learn my lesson. Now, I charge a 50% fee up front before I even pick up the pen and doing so has prevented me from landing in those nightmare client-won't-pay-up situations.

Naturally, there is a learning curve for freelancing and it sounds like you've rounded that corner and made some good choices!

Jack Parker

Registered
Reaction score
You can set all the rules you want, but don't expect them to fly with every publication. Most freelancer starting out (especially with big publication) writing on spec. That means you write the story and do all the work and only get paid if they publish it. I think most places do pay their writers. I have been doing this a long time and haven't really run into the problems you are worried about. I think you should focus on what your writing and only worry about payment issues if you actually have something come up.

Thanks for your input. Yes, when you're new there isn't going to be a lot of rule setting. Hopefully people starting out will understand that.

In all the research I did prior to beginning, I came across the problem of non-payment quite a bit. When that happens, it's only wise to take note of the possibility and be prepared -- once you've established yourself. To disregard it completely isn't very smart.

As a new freelancer, I intend to write my heart out, meet deadlines faithfully, and let my work speak for itself. Once I have good credibility and a proven track record, I will be prepared for situations of non-payment instead of waiting for it to happen because I ignored the experience of others.

Jack Parker

Registered
Reaction score
Being able to keep up on writing markets and demand is huge. I'm finding that there's a huge market for qualified copywriters in web marketing, so that's where most of my marketing efforts are going. Writing as a jack-of-all-trades is more difficult, and it really pays off to identify a niche where there's demand and hone your skills and qualifications there.

Some folks are talking about nonpayment issues, and I've found that with marketing clients, these problems are close to nonexistent. These clients need their copy as soon as possible to pass on to their clients for marketing campaigns, and I (as most other writers, I suspect) have a clause in my contract specifying that the work is not legally theirs for use until payment is remitted. 75% of my clients pay the same day that they receive the invoice, and the rest have a given schedule (every Thursday, every second Monday, etc.) on which they send payments.

The copywriting field is huge and a great opportunity for those who are qualified. I have a friend trying to get me into it. It's just absolutely not who I am.

Some of the best advice I've received from successful freelancers is what you also stated. Identify your niche and specialize in it. My interests vary so it will take some time for me to hone in on what my niche is. But, time is going to pass anyway, right? And I have lots of patience.

I appreciate your input. It's very encouraging.

Sparklederp

Registered
Reaction score
The copywriting field is huge and a great opportunity for those who are qualified. I have a friend trying to get me into it. It's just absolutely not who I am.

Some of the best advice I've received from successful freelancers is what you also stated. Identify your niche and specialize in it. My interests vary so it will take some time for me to hone in on what my niche is. But, time is going to pass anyway, right? And I have lots of patience.

I appreciate your input. It's very encouraging.

You're right - the demand is absolutely there for copywriting, but it's there for dozens of other niches as well. If you have something that you love, do it until you become great at it. Make connections and gather a client base. If you don't know what your niche is yet, write until you figure it out. It took me three years to figure out that copywriting was mine. You'll find yours. :)

Deleted member 42

Earning a living entirely from freelancing requires starting the career and getting steady clients before you quit your dayjob.

You'll want to have enough savings to live off of for at least six months, but a year is better. That means food, rent, utilities, gas, car payments, insurance, and emergency funds.

Jack Parker

Registered
Reaction score
Earning a living entirely from freelancing requires starting the career and getting steady clients before you quit your dayjob.

You'll want to have enough savings to live off of for at least six months, but a year is better. That means food, rent, utilities, gas, car payments, insurance, and emergency funds.

That's the goal. Fortunately, my current job is a good one to have in the meantime because it offers more flexibility than most. My living expenses are quite low so it's a goal that's within reach.

WriterBN

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.k-doyle.com
Also, don't forget (if you're in the US) that you'll be paying higher taxes due to self-employment. I tend to joke that half my income goes for health insurance and the other half goes to the IRS, but it's not far from the truth.

Jack Parker

Registered
Reaction score
Also, don't forget (if you're in the US) that you'll be paying higher taxes due to self-employment. I tend to joke that half my income goes for health insurance and the other half goes to the IRS, but it's not far from the truth.

That's why with every endeavor, every choice, every belief, every principle, and every opportunity, we must count the cost.

There are pluses and minuses to everything. Self-employment isn't easy and success isn't guaranteed. But the same is true for working for a company. Getting ahead, making enough to live on, getting a promotion, etc., isn't guaranteed either. You can get fired, laid-off, have your hours and income reduced while more work piled-on at the same time... I've experienced all of that. During times of company success, workers are very, very, very rarely rewarded for it even though they're a direct result of that success. Instead, the suits and investors reap the rewards.

Been there. Done that. Burned the T-Shirt.

Success means different things to different people. Yes, we all need money to live on. Personally, the freedom of being out from under the heavy and controlling thumb of a company that treats me like a warm body and could care less if I have bills to pay is more of a success to me because I am now in charge of my own life. It might be more difficult and involve more risks but that's part of the cost that people need to count. I accept it.

I currently make 65% less money because I left an industry that I just couldn't stomach anymore. The physical and emotional stress, depression, lack of a life outside of work, and de-humanizing treatment as an employee was unacceptable. Yes, the money was good but my happiness, well-being and my life are worth far more to me than a decent paycheck. A nice paycheck doesn't give any company the right to treat their employees like robotic warm bodies without lives outside the building.

I currently work at a job where I enjoy the work and my level of satisfaction is greater. The pay is significantly less but so is the stress. What I lost in income I gained in time, health and peace of mind. How much are those worth?

Still, the company politics are there. Hours get reduced for employees while managers and higher-ups continue to receive bonuses. My livelihood is being played with. THESE ARE RISKS!

At least with freelancing, the risks I take are MY OWN TO CHOOSE. I can live by my core principles and beliefs and not the ones a company has created to keep people in line.

Does that make sense?

I'm not trying to argue that freelancing is for everyone or that it's easy. But, at 47, I've surpassed my limit and tolerance of company crap. Taking back the freedom and control of my own livelihood, with all the risks involved, is worth everything. I'd rather barely scrape by, scratching every month to make it but be making my own choices than to have total strangers that don't care two hoots about me control everything I do and when I do it.

Having said all that, I once again want to SINCERELY thank each person for their words of advice, warnings, and encouragement. I appreciate all of it because I DON'T know everything. Learning about taxes and insurance is something I need to become more aware of, actually. I WANT to hear the bad along with the good. The more I know the more I can prepare and be fore-armed!

Last edited:

Deleted member 42

Seriously, line up gigs first. Start saving. Pick a date six months to year down the road to give notice or ask for a raise.

Stash every penny you can. Educate yourself about COBRA, and medical savings plans, and the new health insurance plans.

Jack Parker

Registered
Reaction score
Seriously, line up gigs first. Start saving. Pick a date six months to year down the road to give notice or ask for a raise.

Stash every penny you can. Educate yourself about COBRA, and medical savings plans, and the new health insurance plans.

Excellent advice. Received and taken seriously. I received my COBRA information packet in the mail yesterday and a savings plan to store a minimum of nine months of living expenses has already been developed and implemented.

I'll definitely check out the medical savings plans. That's one I hadn't thought of yet. Thanks.

For the record, I realize my soap box posts are rants. They're merely meant to express the level of exasperation I'm at as well as serving as a bit of therapy to type out my feelings. I promise I'm not harping on these things. I'm the sort that, once I express myself (sometimes twice) I feel much better!

Bless you all for your patience with them... and me!

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
I wrote freelance articles for national magazines before I started writing novels. I did specialize--in hunting/fishing articles. At my peak, I was publishing an article in a different magazine every month for several years. While the mags were the top markets, paying the top wages, I struggled to make a living at it. Take, for example, a 1,500 word feature in Guns & Ammo (1,250 for the main, plus a 250 sidebar). It paid $500.00, but I had to provide the photos. They wanted 35 SLIDES (yes, it was after digital was prevalent) to choose from. I think they used six of them. That's pricey to produce, so I eventually lost money on the deal. The prestige made it worth it in the long-run, because I wound up with editors contacting ME, instead of the other way around. Magazine editors are a small group. They talk. :)

There's still a couple of my articles online (Colorado Gobblers) and (Rocky Mountain Pheasant Hotspots) at Game & Fish Magazine. Keep in mind that in this age of shifting websites, these articles have been continuously online for TEN years! Why? Because I wrote about things that were timeless. I picked topics that were interesting then and are still interesting now. I've always been proud of my features.

Most of the articles I wrote were 750-1,500 words, and paid from $250.00 to $400. I tended to only work for mags that paid on acceptance. I doubt my hourly wage was better than minimum wage. The research was insane. Experts to talk to, pages to print and review, draft after draft after draft to rewrite---because the word count had to be exact. 1,250 doesn't mean 1,000 or 1,310. It means 1,250.

To get repeat business from an editor means you have to make their job as easy as possible. Don't make them edit word count too much, offer as many options as possible for sidebars, be willing to completely rewrite things on a whim (I once had an article accepted for a summer issue---only to have the issue where I was to appear unexpectedly take on drought issues. The article became a winter piece for the same lake. Tricky to rewrite sailboats and hiking into ice fishing with "don't get frostbite" sidebars. :ROFL:

I kept busy and kept the money coming in. I was determined to do the best I could. But when I found out what I could earn from books, I had to make the leap sideways to fiction.

I still miss writing freelance stuff and have considered going back into it, at least partially.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that it can be slim pickings, even when you're busy. Keep a war chest to pay the bills at first, because it'll take some time before you have regular checks coming in. It took me about a year to cultivate a stable of editors that could trust me to perform on time, every time, so that they would call me instead of me querying them. I never had a problem with people paying, but then, the major magazines had accounting departments to take care of that sort of thing. ;)

Good luck, whichever way you decide to go!

Last edited:

Deleted member 42

Keep in mind that the old days of writing articles for magazines as a primary occupation are gone.

Many magazines no longer pay outside writers; many others no longer exist in print or digital form.

The freelancing rates that were common when I started—anywhere from .10 a word to 1.00—are long gone.

And remember that you're often paid on publication plus anywhere from 30 days to 90 days.

I would suggest paying off any credit cards, or mortgages or other debt. If you pay property tax, either have a special savings account for it, or pay in advance.

Start buying staples that will keep in terms of things like printer cartridges, canned goods, etc.

Think about stocking a freezer.

Figure out what you can cut down on/reduce now, especially in terms of getting your car checked, or reducing utility bills, or cultivating a fondness for biking walking or bussing.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
I don't know if I totally agree. There are still a LOT of magazines out there. I see them on the shelves in bookstores to this day. Admittedly, many are niche pubs, but I still get emails on occasion asking if I have time to write a feature. (I don't, so I've had to say no.) But there are hobby magazines, women's magazines that need fillers, airline magazines that need destination pieces, children's mags that need new product reviews and interviews with interesting people in interesting jobs.Hobby magazines that need new takes on an old subject, etc., etc.

I'm not saying it's easy. Far from it. But IMO, there are a lot of opportunities if someone wants to get in, even now. :)

Deleted member 42

I'm not saying it's easy. Far from it. But IMO, there are a lot of opportunities if someone wants to get in, even now. :)

Starting now though, without any clips or prior history, is going to be tricky.

I wouldn't want to start from 0 in the current climate.

rainsmom

Feeling like an old timer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.melissa-c-alexander.com
There are writing jobs other than freelance writing too. Consider work-from-home contracting. I've been doing it for over 10 years, and I can't even imagine going into an office again. My last contract was very regular -- essentially no different from a regular job except I worked from home -- but now I'm moving onto a project-based contract where they will contact me and ask my availability on a per-project basis. Very similar to freelancing, except I don't have to hustle the work. Pay is much, much better than that kind of writing already discussed too.