• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Hummingbird House Press

JL_Benet

writer/teacher
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlbenet.com
This is a new publisher. It's actually so new that it's not technically even live yet (hence the website not being up yet).
33ytgs7.jpg

JL_Benet

writer/teacher
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlbenet.com
Oops. Will a moderator please correct the spelling of this thread (as it doesn't appear that I can) to Hummingbird House Press? Thanks.

FluffBunny

Disapproving plot bun disapproves.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Third burrow on your left. Your other left.
No website (as you point out); they ran a contest in order to find a logo via "99 Designs"; Nancy Siegel is listed as CEO, but Michael Collins and Ms. Siegel are listed as "organizers" on Bizapedia.

They posted the following description of their publishing house on 99 Designs:
"We are a company that publishes/edits/sells horror books. We want the kind of logo that doesn't scream horror at you but is tastefully done in a sinister manner."

They have a placeholder of sorts up on Facebook with a total of 3 likes thus far and there endeth what little I can find at a glance.

ETA: *sighs gustily* I hate typing on my iPad some days. Typos repaired (while you wait!) and adding that Ms. Siegel is listed as registrant on the West Virginia business registration/registration which was taken out in August of last year.

Last edited:

FluffBunny

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
No luck so far finding anything out about either Siegel or Collins. The only (public) info available on Siegel on Linkedin lists HHP as her only experience. Perhaps someone more familiar with Linkedin can say whether that's common or not. I note that someone with the same name has the equivalent of their entire resume posted. It may be brief simply because it's a placeholder.

The address listed on the business license as both the official and the designated office address appears to be a house on a cul-de-sac, if Google maps is to be trusted. It may be a new enough company that they don't have a commercial building yet or that they do, but the business license info hasn't been updated yet.

Pet peeve alert: Don't advertise nonexistent webpages or use placeholders on FB or Linkedin or...well, anywhere, really. Don't get me interested and then leave me with a, "Safari can't find the server" message. By the time your page is active, I'll have forgotten about you and never (except under a very narrow set of circumstances) go back and recheck. At minimum, have a decent placeholder/under construction page to pique my interest further and make me want to recheck it. Get all your danged duckies in a row before you go live/advertise. End Pet peeve alert.

What convention are they planning on attending, JL? I confess I neither read nor write horror, but I do love a good mystery. ;)

ETA: Disregard. I believe I found it. :D It's interesting that they're accepting pitches at their booth, but not taking part in the convention pitch program; perhaps they registered too late to do so. Having never been to a convention, is accepting a pitch at your booth normal? I would think it'd be a pain trying to be heard in a crowded salesroom, not to mention possibly creating a bottleneck, but what do I know?

Last edited:

JL_Benet

writer/teacher
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlbenet.com
They are attending World Horror Con. I assume that what I posted is the flyer they will be handing out at the convention. I only saw it because it came up on my Facebook feed, so I don't think they're going to officially open until World Horror Con/Stoker Weekend.
http://www.stokers2013.org/
For those not in the genre, World Horror Con is THE professional convention for the horror publishing world (especially when it's held in conjunction with the Horror Writers Association's Stoker Weekend). For those of you who haven't gone, it's fundamentally different from your local fan con as the focus is very strongly on the publishing industry and business of writing. That's not to say it isn't a fun time, or that fans don't enjoy it. The fact that they recognize the importance of this convention to the industry does say something about them.

It isn't normal to do the pitch sessions at the booth. Perhaps they did miss the cut-off deadline. I don't know.

As far as the logo, I think being willing to plop down almost $300 for logo design does hint to a willingness to put money into the business.

As far as where there office is located, you will find that even the top publishers in Horror are often run out of someone's house. In the digital age, it's not uncommon to have staff all over the world.

FluffBunny

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The fact that they recognize the importance of this convention to the industry does say something about them.

Or they did what I did: type "United States largest horror con" into Google. :evil That's how I found which con it was.

In any case, I'll be interested when their website is up and running. Admittedly, the phrase from their logo request, "We are a company that publishes/edits/sells horror books..." makes my teeth itch. It may be that they were just trying to give a bunch of non-writers an idea of what it is publishers do. Or they may have a pay-for-editing section--that's the itchy part. But it's all a moot point until they actually give us some facts to go on.

Looks like a heck of a good convention, in any case! And New Orleans...*sighs jealously*

G. Applejack

Write faster! FASTER!
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm digging that logo too. I'll give them some time to get on their feet, ect. But if their book covers look as nice as the flyer, I'd be willing to give them a second look.

HapiSofi

Hagiographically Advantaged
Registered
Reaction score
For those not in the genre, World Horror Con is THE professional convention for the horror publishing world (especially when it's held in conjunction with the Horror Writers Association's Stoker Weekend). For those of you who haven't gone, it's fundamentally different from your local fan con as the focus is very strongly on the publishing industry and business of writing. That's not to say it isn't a fun time, or that fans don't enjoy it.
Sheesh. That's the same song and dance about it being a professional rather than a fannish convention that you hear about World Fantasy Con. It's not true in either case. Fans do the work of putting on both WHC and WFC -- and the conventions should damned well be grateful, because the fan community is much better than J. Random Pro at running conventions.

You don't prove that you're professional by snubbing or deprecating the people who are working to put on your annual convention. You prove that you're a pro by making sales.
It isn't normal to do the pitch sessions at the booth. Perhaps they did miss the cut-off deadline. I don't know.
It makes as much sense to hold pitch sessions at the booth as it does to hold them anywhere else.
As far as where there office is located, you will find that even the top publishers in Horror are often run out of someone's house.
That's because horror collapsed as a commercial genre in the late 1980s. Genre stalwarts have carried on publishing it, often undercapitalized and in difficult circumstances; but that doesn't mean that every horror publisher operating from home is created equal.

Anyone can put out a flyer at a convention.

FluffBunny

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Just an update: out of curiosity I tried their webpage again today. A little over 2 weeks to go until the convention where, according to one website, they're debuting a book entitled, "Barbers & Beauties", an 8 story flip book anthology and they're still not live. It's also almost 3 weeks since JL_Benet made the first post containing their flyer advertising their website. I can only hope they go live soon, because that's not good for their business. :(

JL_Benet

writer/teacher
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlbenet.com
Sheesh. That's the same song and dance about it being a professional rather than a fannish convention that you hear about World Fantasy Con. It's not true in either case. Fans do the work of putting on both WHC and WFC -- and the conventions should damned well be grateful, because the fan community is much better than J. Random Pro at running conventions.

You don't prove that you're professional by snubbing or deprecating the people who are working to put on your annual convention. You prove that you're a pro by making sales.

It makes as much sense to hold pitch sessions at the booth as it does to hold them anywhere else.

That's because horror collapsed as a commercial genre in the late 1980s. Genre stalwarts have carried on publishing it, often undercapitalized and in difficult circumstances; but that doesn't mean that every horror publisher operating from home is created equal.

Anyone can put out a flyer at a convention.
I don't know where this animosity is coming from, but you are wrong on a number of points.

I never denigrated fandom, but as someone who has been involved in the Horror Writers Association (the organization running the 2013 convention) in various capacities through the years, I can attest to the fact that they are indeed a professional genre organization. While writers may also be fans, the organization is devoted to the professional aspects of horror writing. If you look back at who has run the World Horror Con (even when HWA wasn't involved), you will noticed that there has not been one year in its entire existence when it wasn't run by professionals in the field (usually writers, artists, publishers and editors). Your experience may be different, but that means your experience is wrong (at least as it relates to World Horror Con and the Stoker Weekend). Go back and look at the past World Horror Cons and Stoker Weekends if you don't believe me.

If you've ever been to a pitch session, you might realize why holding it in a busy, noisy, non-private room may be problematic. I have been in, and helped facilitate, many pitch sessions at various venues. I would think that would be common sense, but you know what they say about common sense...

As far as businesses running out of a person's house being equal, that is so far afield from what I said as to be ludicrous. All I meant from that statement (which everyone else got) is that running a small press out of a home isn't an automatic red-flag.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
But, no further activity.

fornickels

Registered
Reaction score
And no submission guidelines anywhere, so apparently they don't want submissions.