• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

Beta Needed for YA Fantasy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rosie Lloyd

Registered
Reaction score
Hi

Thanks for taking the time to read this message.

I'm in the later stages of editing my novel and I've realised I need a beta who can help me to develop certain elements which are underdeveloped at present and to pick up any issues I haven't noticed.

It is a YA fantasy, which currently stands at around 46,000 words so there is room for expansion, which I think it needs.

To give you an idea of plot, here is my blurb:

Tal is just seven when she witnesses her house being destroyed by a sinister storm cloud, taking her parents with it. As she grows, she has to fend for herself in a city which has become a place of fear and danger. Tal is not alone; many of her peers are also orphaned. What is this shadow and why were these families targeted? The Shadow and The Hood is the story of these children’s survival and discovery of the truth behind their parents’ deaths. How do the mysterious Shadows, summoned up from the darkness, sustain one person’s corrupt power complex?

The biggest expansion I feel I need is the romance element. It is there but I feel it is underdeveloped, so if you're particularly familiar with the romantic subgenre, you might be particularly helpful for me.

I'm happy to swap manuscripts with a critique partner or to just have a beta. In particular, I have a lot of experience with grammar checking, proof reading and stylistics.

If you're interested in a swap or in helping me out, send me a message. I won't be offended if you decide you can't help me after having a look at my first chapter - just don't keep me waiting ages whilst you decide!

Thanks for your time!

Rosie

WriterTrek

Boldy Writing
Registered
Reaction score
You might want to hang around the forums for a while before asking for a beta, though you might get lucky.

I suggest heading over to the "Share Your Work" sub-forum and critiquing the snippets of stories that other people post.

After you have 50 posts (there or elsewhere), you can post some of your own story in SYW and get some feedback that way. If someone likes what they read enough you might have an easier time finding a beta!

HannahKarena

Registered
Reaction score
Interested in Beta, Maybe CP?

Hey! Enjoyed your pitch--I'm intrigued! I'm willing to try out the first three chapters and see if we're a good fit! I also have a YA manuscript I'm looking for a CP for, but if it's not your cup of tea, I'm still willing to beta :]

Status
Not open for further replies.