First name or last name?

Pup

Registered
Reaction score
I'm writing a historical biography. The subject, let's say John Smith, starts out surrounded by a large family, then gradually moves out on his own.

Normally I'd refer to him "Smith." But with lots of other Smiths to talk about at the beginning, it makes more sense to call him "John," to make clear who I mean.

Gradually, there's less about his family and more about him. Then he gets married and has children, producing more confusing people with the same last name.

What's typical in formal writing? Should I call all the Smiths by first names throughout, and call others by their last name?

That's what I'm doing now and it's simple and clear, but is there any rule or tradition against calling subjects by their first name in formal writing?

John Olexa

Registered
Reaction score
Interesting question! I went and grabbed one of my books on the wild west. I just happened to pick one dealing with the Gunfighter Clay Allison. It seems when you know who the author is referring to he uses "Allison", when it's not so clear he uses "Clay".

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

I don't think there's any standard format, except to make it clear whom you are referring to. Sounds like that's what you're doing. So, go ahead with it.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

Sunnyside

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.brianjayjones.com
It's your decision -- whatever you think fits your main character. When I wrote my biography of Washington Irving, I always called him "Irving," until one of this many brothers came on the scene, in which case he was "Washington" until the brother exited stage left. And it's not really confusing at all to the reader.

For my current project, it's always "Jim" and never "Henson."