Old Fart's and Pouffes Bar, Grill, and Hogewey Infirmary

NathanBrazil

riff-raff
Registered
Reaction score
And what do we call him out of earshot? (Now that word 'earshot' has me wondering. Where did it get its humble beginnings?)

PorterStarrByrd

nutruring tomorrows criminals today
Registered
Reaction score
It's how far you can shoot an arrow when you pull the bowstring back to you ear. I can't pull the string back that far any longer. The last time I did it the bowstring took my ear off altering my directional hearing until I grew another one.

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Can you hear me now?

I find all this talk about workable ears to be unconscionable hearing-shaming. :e2paperba

However, the boss at PU is correct that "earshot" is the range which the unaided ear can hear normal conversation and is related to bows and arrows. It was coined in the early 1600s (when Porter was a lad) as an analogy to the range the average bowman can shoot an arrow*.

The augmented ear can detect sounds a greater ranges:

better_hearing.jpg

* About the same range as JJ's .358 Winchester (with a trajectory like a rainbow) :greenie

Last edited:

NathanBrazil

riff-raff
Registered
Reaction score
I apologize Chase. Unfortunately memory is one of the things that has often failed me.

That is an interesting tidbit of info. I've always found the etymology of words fascinating.

NathanBrazil

riff-raff
Registered
Reaction score
*Checks Porter's glasses. Wipes a few dead bugs off of the lenses.*

NathanBrazil

riff-raff
Registered
Reaction score
Wow. If the bugs mean that much to you. *Goes to retrieve the dead bugs and steps on Porter's glasses, crushing one of the lenses.*
Um, you know there are mental exercises that you can use to trick your brain into thinking the lens is still there - I think. *Hands bugs and glasses to Porter.*

Last edited:

GailD

Still chasing plot bunnies.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I apologize Chase. Unfortunately memory is one of the things that has often failed me.

I don't think Chase is overly 'sensitive' about that. Besides, they say that when you lose one sense, you gain another. Chase knows that you're thinking. :D :)scared:)

I find all this talk about workable ears to be unconscionable hearing-shaming. :e2paperba

However, the boss at PU is correct that "earshot" is the range which the unaided ear can hear normal conversation and is related to bows and arrows. It was coined in the early 1600s (when Porter was a lad) as an analogy to the range the average bowman can shoot an arrow*.

The augmented ear can detect sounds a greater ranges:

better_hearing.jpg

* About the same range as JJ's .358 Winchester (with a trajectory like a rainbow) :greenie

*primes crossbow* :evil

I never liked insects that much

:roll: Slick!!

PorterStarrByrd

nutruring tomorrows criminals today
Registered
Reaction score

You have been reading and believing too much of it. While the first WRITTEN reference to earshot was in the early 1600's. my buddy Carl coined the word about ten years earlier. One of my arrows flew a little farther than usual due to a strong tailwind and wounded Willie. He was too far away to hear us yelling "FORE". Willie never outlived the the ridicule and the word most associated with it but he did survive well into the 1600's, all the while walking with a noticeable limp.

Chase

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
One of my arrows flew a little farther than usual due to a strong tailwind and wounded Willie. He was too far away to hear us yelling "FORE".

Another etymological first! Not a golf term as many surmise, "FORE!" means protect the foreskin of one's willie from wind-drifted arrows.

We all lament his limpness.

Education is so full of it wonder.

NathanBrazil

riff-raff
Registered
Reaction score
Don't shpoil my fun Chase. :tongue It's nothing but wonder from where I'm standing. *Takes off rose-colored glasses.* Wha? *Puts them back on.*
Much better.

Last edited:

Chase

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I apologize Chase.

You're busted,Nathan. You faked a US spelling of "apologize" here, but above spelled "coloured" like writers north of the border.

But the big give-away is the apology. Canadian soldiers :guns:in combat:

Bang! "Um . . . sorry over there."

Bang! "So sorry, eh?"

Rat-a-tat-tat! "Sorry, sorry, sorry."

Last edited:

NathanBrazil

riff-raff
Registered
Reaction score
Noooo, I don't think so, eh? I can't say as I'm seeing what you're seeing - maybe a bit early to be dippin' into the port, eh?

Last edited:

NathanBrazil

riff-raff
Registered
Reaction score
Where did my Canadian brethren go? I guess I'll have to drink all three then. :e2drunk: And that's my twin brother - never could handle his liquor.