Old Fart's and Pouffes Bar, Grill, and Hogewey Infirmary

VeryBigBeard

Preparing for winter
Registered
Reaction score
Yours lasted 10 yrs? Lucky bum.

Well, it is down to two and a half wheels, one of the arms is loose, the recliner adjustment knob is gone resulting in an additional unexpected lowering axis and if it wasn't for the hydraulics killing it first I think the seat was about to fall off the central pillar. So 10 years, yes. 10 good years? No.

Thanks to all for the help in naming this scintillating feeling. The best part is that the seat still goes up. It just doesn't stay up. It's like a ride at a bad amusement park. Take that where you will.

JoeBear

Thick-skinned, but I shoot back.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Well, it is down to two and a half wheels, one of the arms is loose, the recliner adjustment knob is gone resulting in an additional unexpected lowering axis and if it wasn't for the hydraulics killing it first I think the seat was about to fall off the central pillar. So 10 years, yes. 10 good years? No.
Okay, the additional details help, not so much in coming up with a word for that sinking feeling, but coming up with a name for the chair.

You should absolutely name the chair Porter. There must be some genetic connection 'cause the description is spot on.

pkbax

It's nap time, right?
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, the additional details help, not so much in coming up with a word for that sinking feeling, but coming up with a name for the chair.

You should absolutely name the chair Porter. There must be some genetic connection 'cause the description is spot on.

Yup. Sounds 'bout right, JB.

JoeBear

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
To be honest ... Haggis has probably already got it catalogued
Mmm...when he's right, he's right.
icon10.gif

GailD

Still chasing plot bunnies.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
As it happens, does anyone know a good word for that sinking feeling you get as the hydraulics on your office chair finally cut out after ten long, long years of service?

I could use that word right about now.

I'm not sure about a word for that feeling, but I definitely know what I'd have said about it.

I'd tell you, but Haggis would pee on my leg.

Porter would say he did it, once.

JB would look shocked, like he doesn't even know me.

Lavern would go and fetch 'old spanky'.

PKB would say something insightful and funny and make me laugh.

Syn would undoubtedly agree with me, 'cos she's smart.

The duchess would take a photo. Which is a good thing 'cos someone should record this stuff.

So, with regard to your chair, VeryBigBeard, the only forum-tolerated words I can use for this are: Gravity sucks!

Sorry.

:D

JoeBear

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not sure about a word for that feeling, but I definitely know what I'd have said about it.

I'd tell you, but Haggis would pee on my leg.

Porter would say he did it, once.

JB would look shocked, like he doesn't even know me.

Lavern would go and fetch 'old spanky'.

PKB would say something insightful and funny and make me laugh.

Syn would undoubtedly agree with me, 'cos she's smart.

The duchess would take a photo. Which is a good thing 'cos someone should record this stuff.

So, with regard to your chair, VeryBigBeard, the only forum-tolerated words I can use for this are: Gravity sucks!

Sorry.

:D
Gail who?

JoeBear

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
To be fair ... the electrons are probably en route .. on such a long trip.
Yeah, then they got passport problems, money conversion, and the incessant problems associated with language from real ('Mercun) English to SA vestiges of Brit English.

My head hurts

JoeBear

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
That's why I don't travel much anymore ... then there's the watch list thing.
Which is a shame 'cause I suspect the English taught at PU is probably the standard that most countries and other teaching institutes try to adhere to.

PorterStarrByrd

nutruring tomorrows criminals today
Registered
Reaction score
*Pay in currency other than chickens and pig parts and contract to wash dishes.

Pig parts are accepted if they are center cut pork chops or good quality bacon. We reserve the right to establish their value. Europarts are way to highly valued, while nice ones from Washington DC are, shall we say amply fatty and at the top of the heap.

Last edited:

JoeBear

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Pig parts are accepted if they are center cut pork chops or good quality bacon. We reserve the right to establish their value. Europarts are way to highly valued, while nice ones from Washington DC are, shall we say amply fatty and at the top of the heap.
Probably should go to the expert - I 'spect Haggis never heard of poor quality bacon...perhaps poorly cooked but even that is probably rare.

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
even that is probably rare.

Back on the farm in Montana (visiting nieces, nephews, and grandkids groan and try to sneak out of the rec room :gone:), nobody who wanted to live to a ripe old age
old-300.gif
ate any pork or venison rare.

JoeBear

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Back on the farm in Montana (visiting nieces, nephews, and grandkids groan and try to sneak out of the rec room :gone:), nobody who wanted to live to a ripe old age
old-300.gif
ate any pork or venison rare.
I left that for Haggis 'cause I owe him some straight lines, but I guess he's at the veterinarian's office for a prostrate prostate exam.

Last edited: