• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Intuition Press

SAWeiner

Reaction score
TO ALL-

There is a new online publisher, www.intuitionpress.com, who promises to publish just about anyone, although without editing, but will pay royalties for sales. It sounds a little too good to be true after all the exasperation I've had trying to find a place for my novel.

So, has anyone had experience with them? If so, are they legit or is this just another PublishAmerica type operation that offers false hope? Thanks.

TRENNER

pepperlandgirl

American Aquarium Drinker
Registered
Reaction score
If you want to do this, just get yourself a webpage and a domain name (www.trennersbook.com or something), convert it to a PDF, and post it yourself. It's the same effect and you retain complete control!

Though really, nearly option is ideal. Where would your readers come from, for one thing.

SAWeiner

Reaction score
pepperlandgirl said:
If you want to do this, just get yourself a webpage and a domain name (www.trennersbook.com or something), convert it to a PDF, and post it yourself. It's the same effect and you retain complete control.

Then, I'll be self-publishing. With intuitionpress.com, I'd be published, which sounds better. Additionally, there are costs to setting up an operation as you suggest, particularly if I want to sell the book, not just distribute it free. These costs would ordinarily be absorbed by a publisher.

So, I still want feedback as to whether www.intuitionpress.com is legit.

Where would your readers come from, for one thing.

Of course, that's a problem. It's a problem now for conventional publishers too, since less people read books. I am thinking up an out-of-the-box marketing campaign that hopefully will help.

Aconite

Registered
Reaction score
TRENNER said:
Then, I'll be self-publishing. With intuitionpress.com, I'd be published, which sounds better.
Well, actually, you'd just be printed.

Additionally, there are costs to setting up an operation as you suggest, particularly if I want to sell the book, not just distribute it free. These costs would ordinarily be absorbed by a publisher.
If all you want is to have the book available for purchase at no cost to you, why not think about lulu.com? They're upfront about what they do and don't do, their accounting is honest, and you have a lot of control over the finished product.

Of course, that's a problem. It's a problem now for conventional publishers too, since less people read books. I am thinking up an out-of-the-box marketing campaign that hopefully will help.
Naw, "fewer people read books now" is a myth. If you check the numbers (no, no, I really am not going to Google and post them--I'm not--because I have to finish those edits--no, Aconite, get your fingers off the Search field...), you'll see that more books are being bought now than ever before. Plenty of people are reading, and the majority still get their books through bricks-and-mortar stores. If you want to sell lots, that's still the best way to go.

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
TRENNER said:
Then, I'll be self-publishing. With intuitionpress.com, I'd be published, which sounds better.
No. The most charitable description of the service Intuition Press offers is "self-publishing."

Another concern: it doesn't actually appear to have released any books. New services like this spring up all the time on the Internet, and only some survive. You'd be more secure with a similar service that's been around for a few years, and has proved it can stay in business.

- Victoria

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I also think it will be self-publishing either way. A self-publisher you know nothing about is an even greater risk then an established service like lulu--to you and your buyers. Lulu will put out your ebook, a real book, anything you want and they do have a modest ability to sell a few, possibly very few, copies unlike an unknown.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
They've put up some books, although you have to dig to find them. Anyone brave enough to download a free preview or two?

JerseyGirl1962

I heart Malamutes! :-)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
They've put up some books, although you have to dig to find them. Anyone brave enough to download a free preview or two?

I downloaded the first chapter of a detective novel. (You're right that you have to dig to find the books. Sheesh.)

Long, winding sentences, too many curse words (okay, the guy's a bad ass; do you have to send up a curse word in every other paragraph?), the MC keeps talking about his damned knife, and the paragraphs aren't separated with an extra space. This one did a number on my eyes as well as on my brain, and not in a good way.

IMHO, needs editing, in a big way.

~Nancy

Popeyesays

Now departed. Rest in peace, Scott, from all of us
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
TO ALL-

There is a new online publisher, www.intuitionpress.com, who promises to publish just about anyone, although without editing, but will pay royalties for sales. It sounds a little too good to be true after all the exasperation I've had trying to find a place for my novel.

So, has anyone had experience with them? If so, are they legit or is this just another PublishAmerica type operation that offers false hope? Thanks.

TRENNER

Withno effort on their part they will make your book available on a website hardly anyone knows anything about. Nobody will know it is there in the first place and any sales you see will be in the ones and twos.

They have actually been around for at least a year. And when did you hear about them?

How likely is it that anyone else will hear about them or your book.

Don't waste your time or your book.

Regards,
Scott

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Well, I can't get their page to load except through cache, and the pages I'm finding are all from 2007. I've got a feeling this one's dead.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Well, site is back and they published a couple ebooks last year.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
M'kay, domain is still registered to Intuition/Monica Martino, but redirects to Amazon. The books put out this year were created using Blurb.