Hiding your scent

efreysson

Closer than ever
Registered
Reaction score
The second of act of my VIP is all about the protagonists being trapped in an abandoned city and hunted by a vampire who controls a wolf pack.
I'm wondering how the characters might try prevent the wolves from sniffing them out. If they stay inside and on top of buildings and travel by jumping from roof to roof rather than use the streets, might that help?
Also, does walking in water really dampen one's scent? The city is partially flooded.

girlyswot

Registered
Reaction score
Website
myromancereviews.wordpress.com
I think the water thing comes from hunting with dogs. When they reach water, they can't follow the scent, but I think that is just because the scent doesn't stay on the water (especially running water) as it does on land. But once the trail has been found on the other side of the water, they can follow it again. The wet person still smells.

SuspiciousCookie

Deliciously Ominous
Registered
Reaction score
Website
athousandkeystrokes.wordpress.com
Kind of depends on the state of the city. Is it destroyed, or just abandoned? If it was just abandoned, your characters could try to look for scent-killing deodorants, detergents, spray or special scent-free clothes (hunters usually wear those) in some stores.

Something else that's important: Always, always try and make your characters move downwind of the vampires/dogs. The scent should be carried away from the pack, as far away as possible, so it's vital to not have the wind carry your scent right into the nose of them. You can easily find out if you are travelling downwind if you feel the wind blowing in your face when you face the dogs. Or, you know, simply use a handkerchief.

I would advise you to avoid all water. My logic tells me it would simply wash away the scent-killers, making you an easy prey again.

Please note that all of this comes from simple research as I'm not a hunter or anything, so you might want to wait for an expert's response on this one.

Cheers and I hope I could help,
Cookie

Last edited:

jclarkdawe

Feeling lucky, Query?
Registered
Reaction score
Pepper. Just spread some pepper on your trail. It will destroy a dog's nose for hours. It works like pepper spray. Otherwise, anything that is stronger smelling then you and will burn the nostrils will cover the scent. Gasoline for example. Skunk probably.

Wolves are not big scent trackers. A lot better then humans, they will fail dismally compared to a beagle or other dog that is bred for tracking.

Wolves are mainly using their noses to scout out the situation, like looking and listening. But smell travels with the wind, and you're blind to scent over about half of a circle around you. Think about downwind and upwind. Understand that in a city, the buildings cause the wind to change direction in ways that are unusual.

There is a MYTHBUSTERS episode where they're tracked by a dog. See http://mythbustersresults.com/hair-of-the-dog. But realize there's a lot of differences between a trained bloodhound and the average dog.

Best of luck,

Jim Clark-Dawe

Elaine Margarett

High and Dry
Registered
Reaction score
scent detection

There is nothing that will mask the scent of prey/humans when being scented out by a canine or wolf. Period. Water actually conducts scent, and search dogs are used to find the bodies of people below the water surface. Scent molecules float to the surface and will be transported by both air currents above the water and water currents.

If the humans/prey are inside the building they will be detected. The only scenario that would work for you is to have them jump from building to building, especially if it's hot. Sunlight and hot air will draw scent upwards in what we call a chimneying effect. If it's cold or at night the scent will drop to the ground although it will be confusing to the wolves, possibly buying your people time.

Last edited:

Elaine Margarett

High and Dry
Registered
Reaction score
Pepper. Just spread some pepper on your trail. It will destroy a dog's nose for hours. It works like pepper spray. Otherwise, anything that is stronger smelling then you and will burn the nostrils will cover the scent. Gasoline for example. Skunk probably.

Wolves are not big scent trackers. A lot better then humans, they will fail dismally compared to a beagle or other dog that is bred for tracking.

Wolves are mainly using their noses to scout out the situation, like looking and listening. But smell travels with the wind, and you're blind to scent over about half of a circle around you. Think about downwind and upwind. Understand that in a city, the buildings cause the wind to change direction in ways that are unusual...

Pepper will not mask the odor, although it will be an irritant. Wolves can and will both trail and air scent, superbly. Ground tracking is not the most efficent way for a hunter to hunt so there is no reason for wolves to adopt this method, although they are certainly capable of it. Tracking is where a dog will follow footstep by footstep (think Bloodhound). In search and rescue we generally will use air scenting dogs as opposed to ground tracking dogs although ground trackers certainly have their place.

Not sure how you draw the conculsion between a wolf and a beagle. Wolves work for themselves and can not be *trained* the way a beagle or other domestic dog can be trained so there really is no comparison. Wolves have been known to be able to scent prey from a mile away. Their very existance is dependent on this ability. Beagles were bred to trail or track a rabbit (preferably slowly) so the rabbit will circle back to the waiting hunter.

And yes, being upwind will provide a buffer to being detected.

Last edited:

Sonata

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I trained search and rescue canines for years from wilderness air-scent to urban man-trailing and human remains detection. There are a whole lot of aspects which will play into your situation. Please PM me and I'll be happy to work with you more specifically. I can give you general info, but I think we should discuss your setting (area, structures, and weather), the people involved, and a lot of other aspects to hold your readers suspension of disbelief in check. Unfortunately, I think to make a scene like this work you'll need to share some plot details you may not be ready to publicize (thus the PM), but I'm happy to help. I'm on bedrest after surgery, so have some time to share if you need. Let me know.

Sonata

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Staying on top of a building may help slow the critters down temporarily (like seconds or minutes if you're lucky) but dogs aren't dumb. They know prey species live in the trees (squirrels, coons, etc.) so a few animals might not think to look up, but as soon as one figures it out, the whole pack will be on them.

Air currents in an urban search are really tweaked by buildings and do strange (very cool things - I'm a scent theory nerd:Shrug:). The water may create some interesting scent movement, but sadly it won't thwart the wolves too much.

Also the fact that its an abandoned environment means that your protags scent will be very strong without others to saturate the area. I have a few thoughts on how you could do this, but again, PM me. This sounds like a fun challenge!

jclarkdawe

Feeling lucky, Query?
Registered
Reaction score
Pepper will not mask the odor, although it will be an irritant. I'm sorry I wasn't clearer here. Yes, nothing masks odor. But pepper and certain other chemicals can cause sufficient irritation to limit a dog's ability to smell for some period of time, depending upon dosage.

Wolves can and will both trail and air scent, superbly. Again, sorry for not being clearer. The dog family, including wolves and foxes, have, I believe, the best ability to smell. Incredibly better then a human. But that doesn't mean that all members of the dog family are equal.

Ground tracking is not the most efficent way for a hunter to hunt so there is no reason for wolves to adopt this method, although they are certainly capable of it. Tracking is where a dog will follow footstep by footstep (think Bloodhound). In search and rescue we generally will use air scenting dogs as opposed to ground tracking dogs although ground trackers certainly have their place. I'm glad you pointed this out. I think the original poster didn't quite understand this, and I was conflating terms.

Not sure how you draw the conculsion between a wolf and a beagle. Wolves work for themselves and can not be *trained* the way a beagle or other domestic dog can be trained so there really is no comparison. Wolves have been known to be able to scent prey from a mile away. Their very existance is dependent on this ability. Beagles were bred to trail or track a rabbit (preferably slowly) so the rabbit will circle back to the waiting hunter. Here's a chart of the scent receptors for humans and some dog breeds.

Humans 5 million

Dachshund 125 million
Fox Terrier 147 million
German Shepherd 225 million
Beagle 225 million
Blood Hound 300 million

I can't find similar numbers for wolves, but as the high end of dogs are specifically bred for scenting ability, my guess is that these numbers will exceed a wolf. Further, the high end of dogs used for their noses' ability are going to be like human intelligence. Maybe not all genius sniffers, but better then average.

What I wanted to suggest is that putting wolves as equivalent with the top sensors of the dog world is probably over-rating wolves. My guess is that wolves are probably closer to the high end average, but that the top dogs can probably beat a wolf consistently.

Best of luck,

Jim Clark-Dawe

Elaine Margarett

High and Dry
Registered
Reaction score
I respectfully disagree. An animal dependent on its ability to scent for it's survival will be superior to an animal bred by man for that specific purpose.

Domesticating dogs *removed* much of these abilities. Selective breeding to improve a dog's scenting ability simply returned to a degree what thousands of years of domestication took away.

BTW, I grew up with beagles, all with field trial champions in their background. I switched to German Shepherds once I grew up, and have trained GSDs to find people, drugs and explosives. I'll take a GSD over a beagle, any day. <g>

Last edited:

GeorgeK

ever seeking
Registered
Reaction score
The wolves presumably will have difficulty with doors. I suggest periodic simple barricades as they go through buildings, and traps if possible

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I like the way George thinks. In fact, I'd love to see the wolves knowing right where the prey is yet stymied by doorknobs--until they find one of those lever-type "knobs" which yields to downward pressure. Run, humans, run!

Maryn, whose kitchen ceiling has a view of the bathtub above

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
I would go with George. Unless the vampire just uses the wolves to find the humans and then attacks himself. Or herself.

amschilling

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amschilling.com
Here's a question: is this wolf pack made up of regular wolves, or werewolves?

Since there are vampires, I'm thinking it could be either. And quite frankly, if you're dealing with mythical creatures you have a lot more leeway. You want them limited on scenting abilities? Viola--your werewolves can't scent as well or have limits due to their partial human nature. You want them to be able to smell a squirrel burp from ten miles away? Done. They're your beasties. Be able to open doors? Okey dokey--again, your beasts, and part human so even in transformation they might have opposable thumbs. That said, even with mythical beasts it's good to have an understanding of what a real, related animal can and can't do. Some of us would be just dorky enough to call an author on something blatantly outside the realm of the possible.

Shifters might not work with your WIP, of course. You might be looking at 100% real wolves. Just wondering if you do, in fact, have room to play around a little.

efreysson

Closer than ever
Registered
Reaction score
The wolves presumably will have difficulty with doors. I suggest periodic simple barricades as they go through buildings, and traps if possible

I like the way George thinks. In fact, I'd love to see the wolves knowing right where the prey is yet stymied by doorknobse

I would go with George. Unless the vampire just uses the wolves to find the humans and then attacks himself. Or herself.

Well, he uses them partially as attack hounds since he can only be in one place at a time and the humans scatter after the initial attack, but he mostly needs the wolves to track them so he can do the killing himself.
The characters don't just want to keep the wolves at bay, they want to not be found at all since the master won't be far behind.
In fact, the second act ends with a siege, as the surviving humans take shelter inside a robust building and the vampire tries to break in. They can't get out without running smack into the wolves and he can't get in without getting stabbed a lot.
So after a while he starts setting fires, but that's another story...

Here's a question: is this wolf pack made up of regular wolves, or werewolves?

They are "regular", if unusually big and aggressive.

Canotila

Sever your leg please.
Registered
Reaction score
Any studies involving bloodhounds is moot because they are bred and trained strictly to track. Which is nose to ground, and if the trail on the ground is interrupted they are held up until they find it again.

Wolves don't operate that way. They are going to work much more like a search and rescue dog works, which is using a combination of trailing and air scenting. An air scent dog is encouraged to basically put its nose in the air and follow the quarry that way. So they won't necessarily trace the exact steps, they may end up taking a shortcut, or they may get lost.

Water will not throw off a tracking canine. My aunt's dog is trained specifically for underwater cadaver recovery. She can take her dog out in a boat, in a search pattern across the lake and it will tell her when they're above the dead body. She's found bodies more than 30' underwater this way.

When I was hiding for the search and rescue trainings, my job was to go out and try to fool the dogs for as long as possible. The longest it ever took to find me was about 8 hours. I had the wind at my back and jumped off a big ledge into a really big hole, then buried myself in wet leaves.

Because they're air scenting, you want the wind at your back. Try licking your finger and hold it up (outdoors), you can feel the air direction better. There are a lot more complicated things you can do with wind direction and eddies, etc. to trick them and I suggest taking Sonata up on their offer.

Beyond that, cigarette smoke really screws up dogs noses for scent work. It doesn't incapacitate them, but it makes it harder. The local search and rescue group had to ban smoking around incident scenes because it did make things noticeably harder on the dogs. They're also careful not to let car exhaust vent anywhere near the dog's crates, as that is thought to interfere. I don't know if it actually does though.

lbender

Registered
Reaction score
Don't know how much it might help, but what would happen if they found and rolled in/smeared themselves with, wolf feces. Probably wouldn't block all scent, but might mask some. Would also indicate desperation, as you wouldn't do it unless you were desperate.

wendymarlowe

writer, mother, geek
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
There is nothing that will mask the scent of prey/humans when being scented out by a canine or wolf. Period. Water actually conducts scent, and search dogs are used to find the bodies of people below the water surface. Scent molecules float to the surface and will be transported by both air currents above the water and water currents.

If the humans/prey are inside the building they will be detected. The only scenario that would work for you is to have them jump from building to building, especially if it's hot. Sunlight and hot air will draw scent upwards in what we call a chimneying effect. If it's cold or at night the scent will drop to the ground although it will be confusing to the wolves, possibly buying your people time.

Partly true - there's nothing that will mask scent entirely, but there are ways to prevent a specific dog from being able to follow your scent for short periods:

1) cigarette smoke and car exhaust kill their ability to smell for half an hour or so

2) scent spreads more on dry days than it does when wet - it's a pain in the neck to search when it's raining, because you're soaked and visibility is bad and the scent is bad too.

3) scent also spreads more at certain times of day than others (i.e. early morning when the ground is warming and the air is rising versus evening when everything is cooling down).

4) scent goes with the wind and follows the terrain downhill and into gulleys/valleys/alleyways.

5) underwater cadaver detection is actually pretty hit-or-miss - when the dog does alert on a section of water at the surface, you have to figure out where the water came from :p That can take quite a bit of thermodynamics to track currents and heat levels and time. While splashing through a river won't stop a dog from being able to follow you via air scent (because your scent is still hanging around on the wind), it does make it more difficult for the humans to track you via footprints/trail/trash left behind/etc.

6) Air scent only spreads when the air is moving - it does still spread in still air, but very, very slowly. If your protagonist can find somewhere airtight to hide (a closed room with no a/c, for example), that can really hinder the scent from spreading. There are products sold for hunters which can also help mask your scent (airtight gloves/mask/clothes, for example) - they won't stop your scent entirely, but they will reduce it.

7) Elevators would slow everything down, since they'd have to check every floor for his scent signature :p

8) If you're high up in the air, like in a tree or on a building, your scent falls down in a cone shape (altered by the air currents, which themselves are altered by nearby buildings). This can make it really tricky to track where you are if they think you might be on the ground because it spreads your scent out without giving it directionality.

Any studies involving bloodhounds is moot because they are bred and trained strictly to track. Which is nose to ground, and if the trail on the ground is interrupted they are held up until they find it again.

Wolves don't operate that way. They are going to work much more like a search and rescue dog works, which is using a combination of trailing and air scenting. An air scent dog is encouraged to basically put its nose in the air and follow the quarry that way. So they won't necessarily trace the exact steps, they may end up taking a shortcut, or they may get lost.

Water will not throw off a tracking canine. My aunt's dog is trained specifically for underwater cadaver recovery. She can take her dog out in a boat, in a search pattern across the lake and it will tell her when they're above the dead body. She's found bodies more than 30' underwater this way.

When I was hiding for the search and rescue trainings, my job was to go out and try to fool the dogs for as long as possible. The longest it ever took to find me was about 8 hours. I had the wind at my back and jumped off a big ledge into a really big hole, then buried myself in wet leaves.

Because they're air scenting, you want the wind at your back. Try licking your finger and hold it up (outdoors), you can feel the air direction better. There are a lot more complicated things you can do with wind direction and eddies, etc. to trick them and I suggest taking Sonata up on their offer.

Beyond that, cigarette smoke really screws up dogs noses for scent work. It doesn't incapacitate them, but it makes it harder. The local search and rescue group had to ban smoking around incident scenes because it did make things noticeably harder on the dogs. They're also careful not to let car exhaust vent anywhere near the dog's crates, as that is thought to interfere. I don't know if it actually does though.

(quoting this one too because it has a lot of good points)

Bloodhounds scent on the ground, following a trail. Most other dogs do air scent, following wind patterns and whatnot. Bloodhounds do have spectacular noses compared to other breeds, but it can also take them longer because they don't take shortcuts - if you run in giant squiggles, they'll track the whole thing instead of just getting the gist of it and going straight.

I think, given the right setting and plot backstory, you've got a good shot of eluding werewolves in an urban environment :)

(My background: I did K9 search and rescue for four years a few years back, air scent, mostly land and water cadaver searches. My dog was live find trained, though, so we did a few of those too. I won't profess to be an expert by any means, but I did learn a lot!)

Sonata

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Dry, still weather really ought to help your protag escape the wolves. Moisture catches scent (puddles, dew on grass, etc) and the smell will pool there (stinky bacteria love skin rafts and water). Also, lack of wind will not push the scent particles around much making tracking more difficult. Alternately, a heavy storm would make tracking virtually impossible. What time of day or night might be important, too, but if the air's hot, dry, and not moving much that should be enough to help your protags.

I'll give you a few ideas about how scent works, then you can work what you want into your story and ignore what you don't. If you get to something and aren't sure, let me know. When you're ready, I'd also be happy to beta read your scene to look for logistical issues, if you like.

That said, if your group splits up, that will help the odds. I think that your protag running atop roofs is a great idea. It should confuse most of the dogs for quite a while anyway, so long as none of them actually see him and bust him that way. They might catch his scent, but it would be so diluted from distance and height that they would have a hard time pinpointing him, unless he stops for any length of time.

Remember, the longer any of your characters stay in one place, the stronger their scent will be there. So, say you hide someone in an alcove, their scent will get stuck there for hours after. If you stuff them in a closet with a closed door, the scent will seep under the door, but it will be much more difficult for the dog, because it will have to have proximity to the door in order to detect the scent. Once it does though the smell will be so strong, there won't be any shaking the animal.

Unfortunately for your protags, an abandoned urban environment will be free of human scent meaning that the character's scent will be very easy to pick up for the wolves.

Rule of thumb - scent moves like smoke. Watch it slide over pavement, then get tangled in grass and bushes. Something to think about when you're moving your characters around. The more "props" the more the scent will get caught and pooled.

Quick lesson on how (we think) scenting works for dogs. Dogs follow essentially two scents - ground (or what comes off your shoes exactly where you step - that's bloodhound territory, and generally the weaker scent) and "air-scent." Humans shed a downright creepy amount of particles off the top of their heads, which then flows like a cone outward with the wind, with the person as the "point". This is our strongest scent loss by far. So covering your protag's head well won't hide the scent entirely, but it should help a little. Lets just say, I never remove my hat when I'm hunting.

We're not sure exactly how, but dog's can sense hormones very easily too. Example - if one of your characters is especially panicky (lots of adrenalin pumping through the system), that character will be particularly easy for your wolves to find, and downright distracting from other calmer characters. Sweating heavily, breathing hard, and adrenalin all stink and your wolves will find that fast. A blood trail will also make it super easy (I'm sure the vamp would agree), so if any one is injured, they will have a particularly hard time.

If your character goes into water, the wolves will likely work it out, especially if he's under any physical duress. After he leaves, his wet footprints will be like a yellow brick road for them to follow, at least if the wolves are hot on his trail.

A word on wolves. I know these are "special" wolves, but a "natural" wolf will not want to split up to find their quarry. They are far weaker as individuals. Just something to consider when writing your scenes.
Also, all dogs, especially those with a high prey drive (like wolves) can not resist a chase. Its ingrained in their DNA. So if some character gets the bright idea to just run, they are so going down. There will be no outrunning the wolves unless they can get an obstacle between them. I'm not kidding, a fast-moving, shrieking "prey" kicks in a very primal instinct in predators and they just have to chase, unless their teeth are already sunk into something yummy. I thought that might spark an idea for you with this scene, so I wanted to share.

Hope some of that helps, and my meds haven't made my brain so fuzzy that only I think I'm making sense:crazy:. Please don't hesitate to ask more questions. Bad portrayals of wolves and dogs is a major peeve of mine, so I'd like to help however I can.

Also, in response to some earlier posts (too lazy to go looking for quotes: sorry) one of the reasons dogs make such excellent tracking machines is because they have the ability to single out an odor and mark it. They actually have a special compartment in their olfactory system just for that purpose (again, we think - there's still a lot human's just don't "get"). So smoke, coffee grounds, febreze, whatever will only confuse them for a few moments at best. Once they've imprinted a scent they can single it out with incredibly accuracy. While smoke and exhaust won't help them breathe by any means, it won't stop them either. It just makes their job harder.

As far as underwater HRD (human remains detection) goes, bodies release gasses as they decomp, which float to the surface, so that's what the dogs key in on as far as we know. After working with an HRD dog, I just can't bring myself to swim anywhere that white foam builds up in a river or lake. "Body foam" - gives me the heebie-jeebies.

ECathers

Amuck! Amuck! Amuck!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lionrhod.com
Pepper will not mask the odor, although it will be an irritant. Wolves can and will both trail and air scent, superbly. Ground tracking is not the most efficent way for a hunter to hunt so there is no reason for wolves to adopt this method, although they are certainly capable of it. Tracking is where a dog will follow footstep by footstep (think Bloodhound). In search and rescue we generally will use air scenting dogs as opposed to ground tracking dogs although ground trackers certainly have their place.

Not sure how you draw the conculsion between a wolf and a beagle. Wolves work for themselves and can not be *trained* the way a beagle or other domestic dog can be trained so there really is no comparison. Wolves have been known to be able to scent prey from a mile away. Their very existance is dependent on this ability. Beagles were bred to trail or track a rabbit (preferably slowly) so the rabbit will circle back to the waiting hunter.

I've been looking to actually train some of my dogs for search & rescue, and would be grateful for advice, websites etc on this. Maybe I'm googling the wrong keywords cause I've found very little. Please do contact me if you have info.

efreysson

Closer than ever
Registered
Reaction score
That said, if your group splits up, that will help the odds. I think that your protag running atop roofs is a great idea. It should confuse most of the dogs for quite a while anyway, so long as none of them actually see him and bust him that way. They might catch his scent, but it would be so diluted from distance and height that they would have a hard time pinpointing him, unless he stops for any length of time.

Remember, the longer any of your characters stay in one place, the stronger their scent will be there. So, say you hide someone in an alcove, their scent will get stuck there for hours after.

Rule of thumb - scent moves like smoke. Watch it slide over pavement, then get tangled in grass and bushes. Something to think about when you're moving your characters around. The more "props" the more the scent will get caught and pooled.

I'll keep all this in mind.

We're not sure exactly how, but dog's can sense hormones very easily too. Example - if one of your characters is especially panicky (lots of adrenalin pumping through the system), that character will be particularly easy for your wolves to find, and downright distracting from other calmer characters. Sweating heavily, breathing hard, and adrenalin all stink and your wolves will find that fast. A blood trail will also make it super easy (I'm sure the vamp would agree), so if any one is injured, they will have a particularly hard time.
I imagine being hunted by wolves and a crazed vampire would be very stressful indeed, and I'm very fond of putting my protagonists through the wringer. Lots of exertion and adrenaline. :)

Also, all dogs, especially those with a high prey drive (like wolves) can not resist a chase. Its ingrained in their DNA. So if some character gets the bright idea to just run, they are so going down. There will be no outrunning the wolves unless they can get an obstacle between them. I'm not kidding, a fast-moving, shrieking "prey" kicks in a very primal instinct in predators and they just have to chase, unless their teeth are already sunk into something yummy. I thought that might spark an idea for you with this scene, so I wanted to share.
Hmmm. So might a character slip away from a wolf by just moving slowly and deliberately and not setting it off? Maybe if it's alone and not hungry and not being specifically ordered to attack?

Also, in response to some earlier posts (too lazy to go looking for quotes: sorry) one of the reasons dogs make such excellent tracking machines is because they have the ability to single out an odor and mark it. They actually have a special compartment in their olfactory system just for that purpose (again, we think - there's still a lot human's just don't "get"). So smoke, coffee grounds, febreze, whatever will only confuse them for a few moments at best. Once they've imprinted a scent they can single it out with incredibly accuracy. While smoke and exhaust won't help them breathe by any means, it won't stop them either. It just makes their job harder.
What if a character flees into a pantry, finds an old sack of ground pepper and throws it straight at the wolves? Might that mess up their noses for a while?

Related, how good is canine hearing?

Thanks for the great tips. I appreciate all the attention this thread is getting.

GeorgeK

ever seeking
Registered
Reaction score
Related, how good is canine hearing?
much like people, depends on the individual. We have one Great Pyr who is all but deaf, and completely relies on memories of where fences are and his sight which is poor. I think he operates mostly on scent.

Others can hear me give them a spoken request from 1/8 of a mile away and follow complex instructions

Elaine Margarett

High and Dry
Registered
Reaction score
I've been looking to actually train some of my dogs for search & rescue, and would be grateful for advice, websites etc on this. Maybe I'm googling the wrong keywords cause I've found very little. Please do contact me if you have info.

Hi ECathers. I see you're a fairly recent member. Welcome to AW. My dialup isn't letting me PM so the short answer would be for you to contact www.ardainc.org (American Rescue Dog Assoc.) and google NASAR (National Assoc. of Search and Rescue). That will point you in the right direction. Good luck!

Sorry for the quick hijack. Please return to your regularly scheduled discussion. ;-)

Last edited:

thothguard51

A Gentleman of a refined age...
Registered
Reaction score
If these are natural wolves and not some super hybrid type, then they have natural enemies, like cougars.

Find a sporting good store, (one that is well stocked), and see if they carry cougar pellets, made to smell like cougar piss. Its how a cougar marks its territory.

Your sprinkle it around the building they are in, and the wolves stay away. Or maybe skunk pellets, or others that ward off predators.

We had to sprinkle fox pellets around our property to keep out raccoons. It works until it rains, and then we would have to do it again. Once the raccoons got the idea that a fox was marking its territory, they just started staying away.

As to when your characters are on the move, they could mix up a match of those pellets in water, and then soak their pants in the stuff. The scent will be confusing to any wolves tracking by air...