Any Kiwis out there ?

Jason

Ideas bounce around in my head
Registered
Reaction score
:D

I know that one—the 1994 quake collapsed all but one book case (a folding bookcase didn't budge!), and the wine rack which was, like most of the cases, properly secured to studs, pulled of the plaster and fell over, smashing most of the wine bottles.

There were so many books on the floor in the study that we had to take the door off the hinges to get inside.

The single bottle of Scotch survived unharmed. This was probably meant as a sign that I should learn to like Scotch.

Thankful I've never had to experience an earthquake, but would highly recommend learning about scotches, especially the single malts.

Fair warning - the good ones are NOT cheap, but they ARE quite delicious

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
I'm delighted to hear our Kiwi's made it through this.

We're not missing anyone, are we?

KiwiLady

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, everyone, for caring about us over here. For me, today's earthquakes were nothing compared to the ones six years ago, but I was just watching the news and had tears in my eyes watching the people who have been affected. Reminded me how frightened I felt after the Christchurch quakes and how I just wanted someone to come and help us. It's a hard thing to describe. Feeling for the people who live at the epicenter.

Susannah Shepherd

Registered
Reaction score
I thought this was cute from your blog:

As for the doorway, that's not the best choice according to our USGS unless you live in an older unreinforced masonry house.

FICTION: During an earthquake you should head for the doorway.

Last bigger quake I was in, I ran outside against this advice. I do not want to be buried in a collapsed building. I guess it will depend on how close I am to the door the next time.

Running outside is a really bad idea in lots of older buildings - in the 2011 earthquake in Christchurch, a lot of people were killed by falling building facades when doing just that, especially 19th century masonry buildings. They fell outwards.

And I can attest to the doorway being a bad idea; in a previous big quake I got into the frame of a (luckily lightweight) sliding door then had it smack me in the ribs repeatedly for a minute. This time I huddled on the floor next to the bed, which was just fine...

JoMcC

Registered
Reaction score
Hi

I'm Jo and I'm a Skiwi (a Scottish Kiwi). Living in Auckland and almost finished writing my first novel.

Really hoping that the shaking soon stops for all those down south.

dot-dot-dash

..-
Registered
Reaction score
Another Pom from Auckland, only seven years under my belt, so I'm probably an edge case. But our kids say pin when they want a pen, does that get me in?

P.K. Torrens

Saving up for a typewriter
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm also a JAFA.

Currently in Edinburgh but heading back in June 2018.

We now have a 37 year old female prime minister, woot!

KiwiinLondon

Registered
Reaction score
So excited there's a wee kiwi forum! I'm from Hawkes Bay, but living in London.

Velvet27

Registered
Reaction score
I didn't know there was a Kiwi thread! Ha. Anyway, hi all. I'm in Auckland, stay at home mum with minimal spare time that I spend either writing or reading :)