internet explorer is bothering me

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shelley_Hernandez

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
i just bought this computer from ebay and it's really, really outdated. i think this is the earliest edition of windows xp ever released because most of the programs i'm trying to download i can't install because they tell me windows xp is no longer supported. this is a dell latitude computer. the hard drive works great, battery has to be plugged in 24/7 so i have to buy another battery but if it wasn't for the battery problem and this operating system that's older than my great-grandmother, my computer would be perfect. this is so old i have windows player 9 on here and if i'm not mistaken the newest is 12.

any tips?

i forgot to say the way explorer is bothering me is it says again and again it has an error and needs to debug or close.

SianaBlackwood

Registered
Reaction score
Website
sb.siasan.com
So that's something like a 2002 model, then? Your options are limited.

IE6 is evil. I would have been surprised to hear that it was working. Firefox might work as a replacement web browser, but you'd still be stuck with the outdated operating system and a dwindling list of compatible software. Even things like anti-virus are getting hard to find now.

To keep the computer going, you might want to consider changing to a Linux operating system. For user-friendliness, Xubuntu or Mint XFCE Edition are pretty good options. Mint has a slightly better range of software, but is a little more resource-intensive. There are lighter/faster options, but they're more for enthusiasts than people who just want their computer to work. A new battery and you'll have an adequate (although heavy) writing machine.

Shelley_Hernandez

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
yes. i tried to update windows xp so i could download the programs i wanted, but they told me updates can't be performed because windows xp is no longer supported. i'm going to search for a linux os, burn it to a cd and install it. thanks for the help.

Kerosene

Your Pixie Queen
Registered
Reaction score
i'm going to search for a linux os, burn it to a cd and install it.

Puppy linux.

Or: Xubuntu, Lubuntu (my fav), Macpup linux, Damn Small linux, #! (crunchbang).

Puppy linux runs a RAM disk so you system might run faster, but the bloat might slow it down in the first place.

View whatever you wish, choose what you wish, test them all if you wish. There might be a problem with running a full-featured word processor with some--won't stop you from writing though ;) .

BradCarsten

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Lets just figure out what is going on with your machine. Xp is still supported by microsoft and still works well. I use a combination of that and Ubuntu. The only problems I've had is with some of the latest games. Another problem could be that you don't have the latest service packs installed.

We need to know some things first:
1) did your computer come with the original disks- drivers and windows CD. It should have, or there should be a way to restore your windows to it's original state.
2) Click start > then right click on My computer > select properties.
Under General there should be three bits of information:
System, Registered to and Computer.
Please let us know what it says under System and computer. Don't include registered to because that's your serial number.
3) what programs are you not able to install?

In the meantime you should install chrome or Firefox to browse.

Alexys

Took a wrong turn at the Pleiades
Registered
Reaction score
If you insist on keeping XP, you probably need to start by making sure all the service packs are installed (see http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-xp-service-pack-3.aspx ). I would not advise installing a new version of Windows on such an old computer. Keep in mind that XP is within a year of being desupported by Microsoft (it's still supported right now, though), so you're still better off switching to Linux.

Shelley_Hernandez

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
i don't have enough money to buy another os right now although the hard drive has plenty of space for it, over 50 gb free. that's why even though i'd like to use windows 7 or 8 i have to keep xp, but I performed the windows update and i installed service pack 3. i wanted to install internet explorer 8 (9 i found out is not compatible with xp) to see if that stupid nag from what i found out is internet explorer 6 would go away. i have installed adobe reader 11, google chrome, safari internet browser and opera. i don't like firefox very much. i also installed trend micro security suite free edition, downloaded it but i was unable to install it because of this problem. i asked my friends on twitter for a recommendation on an internet security suite free and they recommended avast. this problem also prevented me from getting microsoft security essentials. i don't know how i got that delta search engine crap and those toolbars like mixi dj. i hate looking for a program and getting programs that come along with it that i suspect as being harmful. thanks for the help guys. i'll try to install ie8 and tell you what happened when i come back.

Matera the Mad

Bartender, gimme a Linux Mint
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.firefromthesky.org
Ruh-roh, you've caught a case of toolbaritis. Download the free Junkware Removal Tool and run it (it's a small, single executable file) for an easy and thorough fix. No fancy interface, but real bullets. Just hit the "any key" when it asks you to, and answer y+Enter if it wants to reboot your computer.

It's quite safe, I've used it on my own box and others. I have a logfile from the last battle that's got a scary-long list of defeated foes, including that Delta critter. :D Most of that toolbar crap attacks IE, and you don't even have to DO anything to get some of it. They can hop on board off any website like fleas. Antivirus won't catch them.

Be careful where you download things from. Hitting the first few links in any search for free software will usually take you not to a direct download, but to a site that sticks you with a proprietary downloader bundled with junkware. Watch all installers (including Flash and Java updaters!!!) closely for little extras.

Shelley_Hernandez

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
1. performed windows updates, 180 of them and i have a few more waiting. this is more outdated than i thought.

2. downloaded windows service pack 3.

3. downloaded ie8, nag is gone.

4. installed microsoft security essentials. performed a quick scan. so far everything is clean.

5. installed my printer software and scanned some documents.

to do:

download what matera the mad suggested.

new problem:

every time i shut the computer down and turn it back on, or restart it, i get a nag that says, error: dll could not be opened.

Alexys

Took a wrong turn at the Pleiades
Registered
Reaction score
Do the junkware removal Matera suggested before you try to diagnose that—it may magically disappear along with the toolbars. If it doesn't, try to figure out which DLL.

BradCarsten

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Also good to defrag the hard drive. That wont fix the errors, but you will see a speed increase if it hasn't been done for some time.

Another good program is Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and Anti-Rootkits

They don't run all the time consuming resources, but if there is anything evil on your pc it should not only flush it out, but repair the damage.

Shelley_Hernandez

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
thank you so much for the tips. i think my query is taken care of now because i have all the resources i need to solve my computer problems. you guys are the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.