"Not authorised to view, download, or link"

Status
Not open for further replies.

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
On another forum I inhabit (nothing to do with writing, so do b h8tin), members can embed pictures in their posts, similar to what we can do here. Everything's fine on my Mac mini with OS 10.6 and Firefox 16. However, when I try to view the pictures on my MacBook using OS 10.8.3 and Firefox 20, the thumbnails of the pictures don't show up in the posts; I just get the hard copy of the link and file info. When I click on the link, I get an error message that says "You are not authorized to view, download, or link from/to this site." The site owner explained something about referrers but I have no clue what he's talking about. It's now happening on another site and I don't know what's up.

Nekko

Back to purring
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gericopitch.com
I wonder if it has anything to do with the new security measures built into Mountain Lion?
I remember reading about the new security protocols, but since I haven't gotten Mountain Lion yet, they went in one eye and out the other :)
Of course, it could have absolutely nothing to do with the OS.

Alexys

Took a wrong turn at the Pleiades
Registered
Reaction score
When your browser contacts a server to ask for a webpage, it sends along several pieces of information that you never actually see. One of these is the "HTTP-Referer"[1], which tells the server what page you were viewing at the time the browser sent the request for the new page. Some sites examine it as a primitive hotlinking prevention measure (referer on a different server = OMG someone's stealing our pictures, and thus our bandwidth!). It's a bad idea, because the browser doesn't have to offer the server this information at all.

That being said, there's no indication that Firefox has suddenly stopped delivering referer information by default (can't see anything obviously relevant in the changelog). I know they're supposed to be changing their policy with respect to third-party cookies, which could also be the cause of your problems, but I can't remember whether that was supposed to hit with v. 20 or not.

[1] Yes, "referer" and not "referrer"—the guy who wrote the original standard screwed up the spelling.

Deleted member 42

The site owner explained something about referrers but I have no clue what he's talking about. It's now happening on another site and I don't know what's up.

Check your cookie settings--do you have 3rd party cookies allowed?

Deleted member 42

I'd try the annoying but often effective thing of logging off, deleting cookies (assuming you know your logins), emptying your browser cache and history, Quitting the browser entirely, and logging back in, telling the site and browser to remember you.

Deleted member 42

Ben when you hover your cursor over the image link, is the image on that server or is it hotlinked from another server?

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
In case it helps, the admin for the board posted this when I asked over there:
Do you have any internet security or privacy software or settings set such that they block the REFERER (sic) on sites you visit? If so, you'll have problems viewing attachments here. Adjust the settings so that referrers are at least sent to the same site as the one you're on and it should work ok. This may also happen if you try and copy and paste the link or if you're using download accelerator software.

Status
Not open for further replies.