Recommend a newbie agent?

kiki77

Registered
Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm thinking that if any agent will be interested in my ms (travel memoir--think the queer Eat, Pray, Love), it will be a relatively new and hungry agent. (This is my first book, and I'm not famous or rich.) But I don't know how to find good newbie agents. Does anyone have ideas on where to search or have a particular agent to recommend?

Big thanks! Kiki

M. H. Lee

Registered
Reaction score
I'm not sure that you wouldn't have a chance with established agents. But, if you're looking for new agents, Writer's Digest does seem to have a "New Literary Agent Alert" where they list and profile new agents. Might want to check that out...

TheCakeNovelist

Magically delicious
Registered
Reaction score
Query Tracker also has a running list of new agents on their homepage.

tbrosz

Got the hang of it, here
Registered
Reaction score
Website
tomalanbrosz.wordpress.com
Be careful. A new agent may be "hungrier," but you stand a better chance of a sale with an experienced one that already has a lot of sales under the belt. This does not mean new agents aren't any good, or won't make any sales, it's just the way it is.

If a new author has a decent, well-edited manuscript, there's no reason for him or her to avoid established agents. Many experienced agents have taken on first-time authors, so that shouldn't scare anyone away.

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

Writers Digest has a running blog on newer agents.

That said, feel free to approach anyone who handles travel memoirs.

Also, newbie agents at established agencies are a good bet. Newbie agents on their own are not, unless they've got mega years in the publishing trade.

And, you might be wise to learn how to write a proposal, agents do sometimes require them for memoirs.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

kiki77

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, all, for your helpful advice. Truth be told, I do plan to query established agents as well... But I have, as they say, high hopes and low expectations. People have told me that agents don't want memoir unless you are famous or something really terrible happened to you. But that may be a little overly cynical.

Thanks for the tips on Writer's Digest and Query Tracker. I like the idea of a newbie agent at an established agency and will look for these. I have a proposal but it's outdated... I wrote it before I finished the ms. I am loathe to rewrite it but I will if I have to... :)

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

I'm seeing more agents expressing a wish for well-written memoirs on odd topics, so I wouldn't worry.

And yes, you do want that proposal to match up to the ms!

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

kiki77

Registered
Reaction score
Siri, that is good to hear. I think my memoir is well-written... and I know it is odd, or at least quirky :).
Have you personally had agents ask you for a proposal for memoir?
From my research, it looks like about a third of small publishers ask for a proposal, but not many agents... Thanks, kiki

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Yes, one has so far. Plus I've sent to two who require the proposal with the query package.

I've also seen at least two people on this site mention that an agent requested a proposal for their memoirs.

ETA: Make that FOUR agents who required proposals with the query package. I forgot about the first (very short) round I've been through.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal