Missing Teens Found Alive 10 Years Later

Opty

Banned
Reaction score
By the way, back in 2004 "psychic" Sylvia Browne told Amanda Berry's mother that her daughter was dead. The mother died in 2006. If Browne had a conscience, she'd be begging forgiveness, or possibly killing herself; but then, if she had a conscience she wouldn't make a living defrauding hurt, vulnerable people.

Browne is a huckster and a money-grubbing fraud. Ugh...sickens my stomach that people like her prey on the emotionally vulnerable. However, part of me blames the people who fall for this stuff by believing in supernatural woo woo bullshit in the first place.

Here's a reprint of the original story of Browne telling the mother her daughter was dead:

http://www.cleveland.com/metro/index.ssf/2013/05/amanda_berry_is_dead_psychic_t.html

_Sian_

Ooooh, pretty lights and sirens :D
Registered
Reaction score
Website
antagonistsneeded.wordpress.com
I find it hard to blame anyone who's daughter has been missing for that long for having the hope that anyone, even a psychic, could help her. The blame for this is totally on Browne's shoulders, I don't think it's a matter of Amanda's mother falling for it. It's more a case of her being desperate.

Lyv

I meant to do that.
Registered
Reaction score
He also said the kidnapper "had a big set of testicles to pull this off".

I'd give the man a medal. Given he's gone from nobody to having all sorts of cameras pushed in his face he's done darned well.

And he's a hero!

:)

McDonalds thinks so. They're apparently going to do something to honor him and/or cash in on the publicity.

On Tuesday, the world’s biggest hamburger company said on Twitter: ‘‘We salute the courage of Ohio kidnap victims & respect their privacy. Way to go Charles Ramsey — we'll be in touch.’’

Whatever their motivation, I hope Mr. Ramsey gets something great for his courage.

Lyv

I meant to do that.
Registered
Reaction score
Aw, Charles Ramsey is on CNN with Anderson Cooper saying that any reward should go to the freed women.

Celia Cyanide

Joker Groupie
Registered
Reaction score
Aw, Charles Ramsey is on CNN with Anderson Cooper saying that any reward should go to the freed women.

That just makes me feel like he deserves something even more.

This guy probably thinks he did what anyone would do, but that doesn't seem to be the case. Lots of people seemed to see that something was wrong, but for whatever reason, didn't rescue the women like he did.

Celia Cyanide

Joker Groupie
Registered
Reaction score
True. And if someone is doing fetish stuff in plain view in the back yard, I think they probably should be talked to. Either they don't realize how public they're being, or they do realize it, and might need a reminder about the possible consequences.

Yes, if you are doing something like that, and it is consensual, it's common sense that you shouldn't do it in full view of your neighbors, who don't know what's going on. If you do that, you will get the police called on you.

Sheryl Nantus

Holding out for a Superhero...
Registered
Reaction score
Brownsville, Pennsylvania. Or New Babbage, Second
Website
www.sherylnantus.com
Supposedly the main suspect had a nasty domestic violence episode with his ex-wife - broken nose, dislocated shoulders, etc.

Of course he wasn't charged. *sarcastic tone*

He also threatened his daughter and ex a few times a year with death.

Sounds like a peach.

I'll wait for further info but I suspect the legal system dropped the ball on this jackhole. He wasn't even charged with assault and this was in 2004 - not back in time when domestic violence was acceptable.

And strangely enough (not!) family forgot to mention this while interviewed. Guess almost beating his wife to death wasn't worth saying to the press. Or it was acceptable within their family dynamic...

Grr.

Lyv

I meant to do that.
Registered
Reaction score
It looks like Amanda Berry is going to make a public statement shortly, which, it appears, CNN is going to cover. I assume other networks are as well.

The_Ink_Goddess

we're gonna make it out of the fire
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, if you are doing something like that, and it is consensual, it's common sense that you shouldn't do it in full view of your neighbors, who don't know what's going on. If you do that, you will get the police called on you.

Right right right I do not feel proud of saying this, but on the topic of whether you'd call the police or not...

I may. May. It's hard to say for sure - if the women were crying or looked uncomfortable or forced, I would. If they didn't, I would assume that it was a fetish thing. I'm thinking that this is maybe (maybe maybe) a cultural difference. In England, sex is generally seen as something dirty and uncomfortable, to be ashamed of. I would feel extremely disturbed by it, but it's not necessarily something I'd report, because I would feel uncomfortable about "confronting" my neighbours, even in this direct way, about their sex lives.

That's the wrong attitude, I know, but it's harder to do these things in reality.

On the subject of "wouldn't anybody call the police, reminds me of something that happened to me about a year ago. I put my foot straight through a plug spike. It was agony and I screamed for about five minutes straight. My neighbours didn't even come over to see if I was okay, or call the police or anything. Maybe they're just bastards.

Celia Cyanide

Joker Groupie
Registered
Reaction score
I think that's true of anything, though. If something looks suspicious, there is the very real possibility that it's nothing. In fact, you hope it is, which is why a lot of people don't call the cops.

I called 911 when my husband had a seizure. After that, it was easier for me to call 911 when something scary was happening. Before I never would have.

I think what everyone here objected to was that it sounded like neighbors were saying they did try to report it, and apparently nothing happened.

ellio

a hardback life on an ebook budget
Registered
Reaction score
This might be me just reading in to things too much but I've been seeing really troubling twitter links all day about Charles Ramsey. Apparently a meme started going around on reddit - 'Good Guy Charles Ramsey' - but it all seems like thinly veiled mockery under the guise of praise. I've heard more mention of the fact that he name dropped McDonalds than the fact he broke a door down.

I read the transcript of the interview before I heard/saw it, and he seemed like a perfectly eloquent gentleman that was more than capable of expressing himself. Put an accent on him and a fast food chain reference and he suddenly becomes an internet joke as the 'unlikely' hero. Pretty sad considering that in his interview he even mentioned the stereotypes put upon him as a black man.

I think the worst thing I saw someone condemn the behaviour in a tweet by saying "A black guy says something funny in an interview and it becomes a meme, have some respect" but the fact was he didn't say anything funny. Everyone just seems to think he did because of how viral those video clips of black people on rural news outlets get sometimes. (Climbing in yo' windows, snatching yo' people up)

Gahhhh. I don't know. I feel like the man deserves a bit more respect considering he was the first neighbour out of many reports to actually help those girls himself. The least he deserves is to be taken seriously.

Atlantis

Registered
Reaction score
Yes I agree but technically a phone call from a neighbour is not proof of anything the police need evidence they needed a photograph of the women in leashes

DancingMaenid

New kid...seven years ago!
Registered
Reaction score
Right right right I do not feel proud of saying this, but on the topic of whether you'd call the police or not...

I may. May. It's hard to say for sure - if the women were crying or looked uncomfortable or forced, I would. If they didn't, I would assume that it was a fetish thing. I'm thinking that this is maybe (maybe maybe) a cultural difference. In England, sex is generally seen as something dirty and uncomfortable, to be ashamed of. I would feel extremely disturbed by it, but it's not necessarily something I'd report, because I would feel uncomfortable about "confronting" my neighbours, even in this direct way, about their sex lives.

I would only hesitate because I know some kinky people worry about being charged with assault for consensual acts, or worry about having their sex lives getting them fired or used against them in child custody cases. I wouldn't want to inadvertently bring that sort of trouble on someone who wasn't actually doing anything wrong.

However, if I didn't feel confident that it was consensual, I'd probably take the risk and call the police. And like I inferred above, if I thought it was a fetish thing, I might suspect they were purposely exposing themselves to unwitting neighbors, which is something I don't have much patience for.

That's the wrong attitude, I know, but it's harder to do these things in reality.

I think that's very common.

Like I said, I grew up around the attitude that if something looks suspicious, you call the police. And I've been in enough situations where I saw that policy work out for the best that it's pretty ingrained in me now.

But even so, there are still times when I'm not sure if something warrants a call to the cops or not, and there have been times when I've wondered, and ultimately decided that no, it didn't sound that serious. And I'm aware that it can be easy to get into a cycle where you keep telling yourself that you'll call "next time it happens."

missesdash

You can't sit with us!
Registered
Reaction score
This might be me just reading in to things too much but I've been seeing really troubling twitter links all day about Charles Ramsey. Apparently a meme started going around on reddit - 'Good Guy Charles Ramsey' - but it all seems like thinly veiled mockery under the guise of praise. I've heard more mention of the fact that he name dropped McDonalds than the fact he broke a door down.

I read the transcript of the interview before I heard/saw it, and he seemed like a perfectly eloquent gentleman that was more than capable of expressing himself. Put an accent on him and a fast food chain reference and he suddenly becomes an internet joke as the 'unlikely' hero. Pretty sad considering that in his interview he even mentioned the stereotypes put upon him as a black man.

I think the worst thing I saw someone condemn the behaviour in a tweet by saying "A black guy says something funny in an interview and it becomes a meme, have some respect" but the fact was he didn't say anything funny. Everyone just seems to think he did because of how viral those video clips of black people on rural news outlets get sometimes. (Climbing in yo' windows, snatching yo' people up)

Gahhhh. I don't know. I feel like the man deserves a bit more respect considering he was the first neighbour out of many reports to actually help those girls himself. The least he deserves is to be taken seriously.

Agreed. Becoming increasingly uncomfortable with the trend. Slate wrote about it, someone linked me to it on twitter when I complained.

The Troubling Viral Trend of the “Hilarious” Black Neighbor

AncientEagle

Old kid, no need to be gentle.
Registered
Reaction score
I was not aware of that trend, maybe because I don't tweet. If that's what's happening, it's a shame, because he gave one of the best on-the-spot, unrehearsed, interviews I've seen and heard yet on TV. Descriptive, articulate, and yes, funny in places. I consider him a cool dude, and I don't consider many people that.

Celia Cyanide

Joker Groupie
Registered
Reaction score
Yes I agree but technically a phone call from a neighbour is not proof of anything the police need evidence they needed a photograph of the women in leashes

No, they don't. I called the cops because I heard some woman in the park threatening to stab a man. They didn't ask me for any freaking pictures. They just came out.

missesdash

You can't sit with us!
Registered
Reaction score
No, they don't. I called the cops because I heard some woman in the park threatening to stab a man. They didn't ask me for any freaking pictures. They just came out.

You know, when I called and said my neighbor had stuffed a body in the trunk of his car they did ask me to upload a photo of it to instagram

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
I have to know--had your neighbor really stuffed a body in the trunk?

I've called the police before a couple of times for various things, and they just came for me, too.

J.S.F.

Red fish, blue fish...
Registered
Reaction score
Late to the party as usual, but I find it incredibly hard to believe that the girls went missing for ten years--YEARS!--and no one suspected a thing. The cops said they were "stumped".

WTF?

'Stunned' is more like it. Trying to imagine what those girls went through and can't even begin to imagine. Life in prison is too good for those three men--scum is more like it. I'd call them animals, but even an animal wouldn't do something like this.

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
I'm a bit conflicted over The Smoking Gun's report this morning -

The Cleveland man credited with helping free female captives from a house of horrors is a convicted felon whose rap sheet includes three separate domestic violence convictions that resulted in prison terms, court records show.
On the one hand, whatever he's done prior to Monday afternoon doesn't negate what he did that day. It was a good thing and a brave thing. And he's a compelling and engaging storyteller.

On the other hand, it's probably pretty rich hearing the man who went to prison for beating you up talk about how he was raised to defend women in distress and so forth.

dolores haze

international guttersnipe
Registered
Reaction score
The thing is, with all due credit going to Mr. Ramsay for doing the right thing, I think she frickin' rescued herself! And thereby the child and the two other women. With some help from decent-minded neighbors, for sure, but the guts it took for her to do what she did? If she'd failed...I don't want to think about it.