Greetings from a benevolent iconoclast.

Forgotten Forensics

Registered
Reaction score
Hello, Everyone...

I found this forum on a random search for “world building” info sites and I’m glad to be here.

I am a professional sci-fi and fantasy sculptural artist. Name a media or medium and I work in most of them, albeit, I’m still only sniffing around the 3-D printer thing. I mostly work in metals, wood, stone and bones, detritus and trash, and I did short stints in a morgue and as a veterinarian. I was a firefighter and a park services enforcement officer until an auto accident ended those careers. My primary markets are in the sci-fi and multi-media fandom convention industry, and I wear a lot of hats in the operations of those cons or as a guest artist/speaker. That’s where I learned that artists and writers face pretty much the same market and societal “cred” challenges. Hell, the *whole* creative arts business community has been grabbed by the ankles and shaken thoroughly these days.

My most memorial personal trait, (For best and worst in equal measure.), has to be my sense of humor. It is warped, often irreverent, and usually “wrong”, though I’m never intentionally offensive. I *love* to make people laugh, and I care deeply about my friends and family, albeit, I can just disconnect from anyone outside that zone with very few regrets. That last sentence is one of the reasons why I’m here. I want to write well, but I am a nerd, and my writing is crippled by insecurities about a few of the social boundaries I tend to trip over in real life.

For example; I’m writing a murder mystery story I really enjoy in which the main protagonist is an amoral large animal vet living in rural New Mexico. Said protagonist is having constant run-ins with other people who like himself, are “laws unto themselves”. Let’s just say he finds creative ways to solve his issues that don’t physically harm anyone, but which can be embarrassing, and he occasionally says things that are definitely not politically correct. No hate or gross stuff, and very little sexual action. It’s more like riding in a rental horse group. The horses will constantly try to slip in subtle bites and kicks at each other while the humans do the same to each other in a more euphemistic manner. My protagonist doesn’t start the rodeos, but he finishes them with flair. Some of the people who read what I have so far say the story is too over-the-top, rude, crude, and “mean-spirited”. Others laugh so hard they fall out of the chair. Not a single *objective* response, but all agree that a little outside “editing for content” can only help me. I really need that help, and, I’ll trade for help in things I know well. I’ll also always provide links to places where you can explore the topic more. I’m pretty good at research at least.

Ask me about: Anatomy and physiology, alternate evolution, biomechanical kinetics, and biospheric niche adaptation. If you want to sell me on the notion that a dragon with an endoskeleton can realistically have a pair of wings capable of powered flight, *and* fully-functional front limbs, please talk to a magic user…I’m not your stop. If you want me to help you construct a plausibly functional endoskeleton of an alien “omniped” capable of powered flight, *that* I can and will do. I’m also extremely well-versed in classical philosophy and debate. I can show you if your arguments or assertions have holes or if they lead to the wrong conclusions.

Well, that’s enough for now. I’m so glad I found this place, and I hope to make some new friends and some progress in my writing now that I have. Thank you for your time and input.

Rockweaver

Registered
Reaction score
HI FF and welcome to the group. I also am working on mapping my world nice to see others in the same box

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
hello.gif

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. Take some time to greet fellow newbies,
critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!

Griffin Hayes

One evil little baby step at a time
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to AW!

rwm4768

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome. It sounds like you're an interesting and knowledgeable person.

Forgotten Forensics

Registered
Reaction score
"Bearded and serious"...I hope you'll forgive me if I consider that a challenge to make you smile, even a little. Thank you for your greeting.

Princess Marina

Princess Marina
Registered
Reaction score
OK Forgotten Forensics. I have a giant horned bear. I suggested that sticking a spear through its eyes wouldn't kill it because of it's strange skull structure relating to the horns and that bone angled done behind the eyes protected its brain. The bone however in the centre of its forehead is thinner and if you pierce it, the spear will go straight into the brain. Is this at all possible, probable or just totally impossible tosh?

Forgotten Forensics

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you for your "hello". I read the descriptions of some of your published works. Look like colorful and compelling reads.

Forgotten Forensics

Registered
Reaction score
Big Bang Bull Bear...

OK Forgotten Forensics. I have a giant horned bear. I suggested that sticking a spear through its eyes wouldn't kill it because of it's strange skull structure relating to the horns and that bone angled done behind the eyes protected its brain. The bone however in the centre of its forehead is thinner and if you pierce it, the spear will go straight into the brain. Is this at all possible, probable or just totally impossible tosh?

Actually, this *has* happened numerous times, and I even incorporated a true account of one incident in the very same story I mention in my introduction. In real life I adopted a goat that was a notorious "cow killer", and my vow to keep him "belled" and in a steel enclosure was all that saved him from being roasted by angry cattle ranchers. If you look at the skulls for horned ungulates, you'll see seam lines down the center of the skull and into the eye orbs. True bony horns are anchored on the upper eye orbit bones and this arrangement is set up so the horns take the initial shock and radiate it out and away from the center of the skull. Those seams are there to make the skull itself less rigid so impacts don't cause percussive fracturing of eye or nasal structures...Or for that matter, brain damage. Hit that center seam directly and with enough force, and the impact will part that seam rather than the force being dispersed along the brow line. So yes, you can not only drop a cow with a well-placed club strike, (It's how cows have been killed for butchering unto recent times.), but, you can do the same to a bear. If you want incident references, let me know. Otherwise, a good study of real cow and bear skulls should provide some evidence of the truth. Hope I was some help. http://www.pearsonmetalart.com/images/cow_skull_1.JPG http://fc00.deviantart.net/fs16/f/2007/160/4/2/Deer_Skull_1_by_markopolio_stock.jpg http://www.connecticutvalleybiological.com/images/sp3099.jpg

K.R.Schmidt

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.createspace.com
Interesting story you mentioned. Are you familiar with the works of Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child (co-authors)? They have written books set in the Southwest, and did a few surrounding a vet in Utah and New Mexico. Mount Dragon was the title of one. You might like it ;)

Jim Riley

Louisiana: Sportsman's Paradise
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome,
Jim

Forgotten Forensics

Registered
Reaction score
Interesting story you mentioned. Are you familiar with the works of Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child (co-authors)? They have written books set in the Southwest, and did a few surrounding a vet in Utah and New Mexico. Mount Dragon was the title of one. You might like it ;)

I haven't heard of them, but I'll check them out now. Thanks! What do you write?

Forgotten Forensics

Registered
Reaction score
Hello!

"Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need 50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion."

Thank you, and, the part above is what I most look forward to.

K.R.Schmidt

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.createspace.com
I haven't heard of them, but I'll check them out now. Thanks! What do you write?

I write futuristic thrillers! I was aspiring to create a new genre until a pack of rabid cybernetic werewolves tried to eat me. Now I am trying to combine my childhood love of sci-fi with my maturing (and growing) interest in suspense/thrillers.

Forgotten Forensics

Registered
Reaction score
Werewolf Wavelength...

I write futuristic thrillers! I was aspiring to create a new genre until a pack of rabid cybernetic werewolves tried to eat me. Now I am trying to combine my childhood love of sci-fi with my maturing (and growing) interest in suspense/thrillers.

Awesome!!! We'll get along just fine then. *Big cheesy grin*.

Interesting...How does one inflict rabies on the neuropathology of a cybernetic organism? (Pulls down tomes and tools.)... Bwhahahahahahaha! Oh, um...Grab a drink, this may take awhile.

(After third drink...) There are a lot of entities I wish would eat me, but me thinks that's not a discussion for...Hey Frank! You're not supposed to take the phrase, "chewing on the scenery" literally, okay? And I better *not* see you lift a leg near that couch again!...Where was I? Oh, yes...People are forever misunderstanding my intentions...Why is that? *Sigh*.

In all seriousness, when you post something for critique I'd love to see it, so send me a shout, okay?