Illustration/Graphic Design Software Users?

Status
Not open for further replies.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm just trying to gauge the number of users who use the more common graphic software programs (Paint, Paint.net, Inkscape, Illustrator, GIMP, Photoshop, etc.) to produce professional or semi-professional illustrations such as book covers, logos, business cards, and that sort of thing.

I know half the people on the Internet use Photoshop or GIMP to add clever sayings to photos or put funny hats on photographs of dogs, but I'm wondering how many we have here who try to do more with the graphic programs than just fun stuff.

Last edited:

cbenoi1

Banned
Reaction score
You'll be more than likely find far more Photoshop seats than all the other 2D packages combined. That thing has been around for a quarter century and it has become the industry norm.

-cb

FOTSGreg

Today is your last day.
Registered
Reaction score
A land where FTL travel is possible and horrible t
Website
Www.fire-on-the-suns.com
I use GIMP and a program at work called SnagIt (that one's more like a screen-grab program, but has powerful graphics and photo-manipulation capabilities).

GIMP is designed to have near-identical capabilities as PhotoShop, but is much less expensive, with a near-as-steep learning curve. I do read PhotoShop publications to delve deeper into GIMP in some ways, but also have the GIMP "Bible" called Grokking The GIMP.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You'll be more than likely find far more Photoshop seats than all the other 2D packages combined. That thing has been around for a quarter century and it has become the industry norm.

-cb

Well, yes, Photoshop and Illustrator are two of the main graphic programs, but I think a lot of people also use Inkscape and GIMP and some of the other software out there.

My main interest in on usage anyway (the technical issues), rather than on exactly what software is being used.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I do read PhotoShop publications to delve deeper into GIMP in some ways, but also have the GIMP "Bible" called Grokking The GIMP.

I have a reference manual on GIMP, The Book of GIMP by Lecarme and Delvare. It's useful and fairly complete (and slightly irritating because the thing was printed on very glossy paper which can be a problem when you just want to keep it open beside the computer).

WriterBN

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.k-doyle.com
I've worked with many of the programs in Adobe Creative Suite over the past 10 years or so, but my daily use is mostly InDesign, Photoshop, and Illustrator.

Tirjasdyn

Outline Maven
Registered
Reaction score
Website
michellejnorton.com
I admit that every time I've used Gimp and Inkscape I'm irritated. Right now I'm mainly using Photoshop for work (web design), and Painter for fun. I only have Illustrator access through school right now but for what little vector work I do professionally I can get away with an older copy of Paint Shop Pro.

cbenoi1

Banned
Reaction score
> I think a lot of people also use Inkscape and GIMP and
> some of the other software out there.

Are we still talking about professional and semi-professional work?

-cb

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Certainly, if someone is a full-time graphic designer they probably have Photoshop and Illustrator and some other high-end programs.

Right now I'm just trying to see whether it would be helpful to have a sub-forum in Tech Help that deals with graphic software issues (whether related to PS or anything else). There is already a sub-forum for book covers since a lot of people are doing PoD and whatnot, but I don't think it's used much for the technical side of things. There may be people here also who do such things as illustrations for picture books on the computer; I'm not sure.

cbenoi1

Banned
Reaction score
Certainly, if someone is a full-time graphic designer they probably have Photoshop and Illustrator and some other high-end programs.

Right now I'm just trying to see whether it would be helpful to have a sub-forum in Tech Help that deals with graphic software issues (whether related to PS or anything else). There is already a sub-forum for book covers since a lot of people are doing PoD and whatnot, but I don't think it's used much for the technical side of things. There may be people here also who do such things as illustrations for picture books on the computer; I'm not sure.
Ah. Makes perfect sense. I suggest you label it "Authoring Tools", which makes it generic enough to include novel/script-writing software, web and blog pages, idea management tools, etc which are also part of an author's toolbox in the larger sense.

-cb

Last edited:

FOTSGreg

Today is your last day.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Www.fire-on-the-suns.com

I know a couple people have started cover design tutorials in the book covers forum and even in the art forum. Not certain how useful another one might be unless it's specifically targeted at the technical details. That might be useful at times (how to do layering, cut-outs, blending, that sort of thing).

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It would be more for the technical ("I need help; I can't remove the background!") side of things, not so much for the artistic part.

Another example would be people who want to include a map of their fantasy world. I see that question here quite a bit. Anyone who can use even the most basic vector or raster programs could easily produce a simple map. Or even people doing their own business cards.

I was thinking there might be several people interested in such a forum, but so far I'm not seeing it.

BradCarsten

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
It would be more for the technical ("I need help; I can't remove the background!") side of things, not so much for the artistic part.

Another example would be people who want to include a map of their fantasy world. I see that question here quite a bit. Anyone who can use even the most basic vector or raster programs could easily produce a simple map. Or even people doing their own business cards.

I was thinking there might be several people interested in such a forum, but so far I'm not seeing it.

I think everyone who replied would contribute to a "how to" forum. All you need is people who know a bit about the program and so far there are a good number it would seem. Unless we're completely missing what you're looking for.
I use Photoshop and gimp- created my map in photoshop as well as most of my website.
Use blender and used to use lightwave 3d for animations/3d rendering- great for illustrations.
and Inkscape for vector work.
I'm sure I could help people with these- especially photoshop, I know that backwards, but unfortunately only have an older version :(

CynV

The Original Cyn
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.CynthiaVespia.com
Photoshop

I have a side business where I do advertising and promotional materials, which is alot of graphic design. (ie covers, bookmarks, business cards, brochures, etc)

I've found Photoshop to be my favorite software for creating such items but I am looking to start using Illustrator soon too.

If anyone wants to check out my work, or needs something created, I'm at Original Cyn Advertising or on Facebook

FOTSGreg

Today is your last day.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Www.fire-on-the-suns.com
I have a reference manual on GIMP, The Book of GIMP by Lecarme and Delvare. It's useful and fairly complete (and slightly irritating because the thing was printed on very glossy paper which can be a problem when you just want to keep it open beside the computer).

I've got Grokking The GIMP in ebook format. Very useful and full of tips and tricks. I believe I got it through Amazon.

Reziac

Resident Alien
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.offworldpress.com
I have a bunch of the other tools (including various Photoshop from v5 thru CS2), but when I have a choice, I use Corel PhotoPaint (bundled with CorelDRAW), and old v8 by preference. It's so easy and intuitive it's completely ruined me for anything else. And it will run gracefully on far less hardware than its contemporaries.

sunandshadow

Impractical Fantasy Animal
Registered
Reaction score
Website
home.comcast.net
I use Inkscape as my main art program. I really do graphic design, more like cartoon art (e.g. my avatar) but I have done a few logos and flowcharts and informational poster thingys.

Status
Not open for further replies.