battery not charging

Status
Not open for further replies.

MockingBird

Just a fool with a Dream
Registered
Reaction score
I got a new adapter and it turns the computer on, it has the same watts, output and input. But it's like my battery isn't ready to move on or something. It won't charge with my new charger even though they are almost identical. Can someone help me?

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
A battery will only last for so many cycles. If it's an old battery, it may have run through them all.

Buy a new one.

direndria2

Registered
Reaction score
I'm going to unfortunately echo the advice you've gotten here, the battery itself probably has to be replaced. They only last so long :(

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
If you're on a Mac, I can suggest a couple apps that'll tell you the health of your battery. No idea what the equivalents on Windows would be though.

FOTSGreg

Today is your last day.
Registered
Reaction score
A land where FTL travel is possible and horrible t
Website
Www.fire-on-the-suns.com
On my old netbook I experienced a similar problem (one of the reasons I upgraded just the other day to a new machine). I had to flash the BIOS using a free program online. It was fairly easy and the battery started charging again right after I rebooted after flashing the BIOS.

MockingBird

Just a fool with a Dream
Registered
Reaction score
The battery is not dead. I've checked it on the laptop and it can keep the laptop on by itself for three hours. It's just not accepting the charger.

Torgo

Formerly Phantom of Krankor.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
torgoblog.blogspot.com
OK. Maybe the battery charging is being managed by some kind of program or driver or as FOTSGreg suggests the BIOS, and that isn't working for some reason. What I'd probably do is check the power management options and see if you can reset them. You could then try checking your drivers are up to date in Windows Update - the optional updates as well as the mandatory ones; install everything that looks like it might be related. If that doesn't work, try checking your BIOS version and see if there's an update. As it's a laptop, they'll probably have a big package of stuff under your model number in the support section of their site. And don't forget to google solutions to the problem if you haven't already - your model number and the words battery not charging should do the trick.

Status
Not open for further replies.