Are Lighthouses Considered History?

OHAB!

Registered
Reaction score
Hello all,

I am trying to figure out how/what to categorize writing about lighthouses would be. Lighthouses typically have a long history, but when writing about them there is also information about the area where the lighthouse is located, tourist attractions, etc.

Anyway, I am asking because I want to eventually find someone interested in writing about lighthouses so I can have them help me work on my website I hope to some day create about lighthouses. Any help in this regard is much appreciated. Thanks.

Lil

Registered
Reaction score
I think that before you can answer that question you will have to decide what your focus is in the book. A listing of lighthouses all over the world? A photograph book of Maine lighthouses? An indepth history of a single lighthouse? A series of booklets on individual lighthouses?

Until you have a clearer description of what you are doing, it is hard to say what category (or categories) it might fall under.

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (Literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

A lighthouse is an architectural building with a nautical purpose. It may or may not be historical.

You probably know that.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

benbenberi

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Writing about lighthouses may be considered history or something else entirely depending on what the focus of the writing is. Are you looking at the history of a lighthouse? The navigational function of a lighthouse? The economic cost/benefit of a lighthouse? The governance? The architecture? The technology? The staffing or automation? The artistic aspect? The tourist-attraction aspect? The literary or folkloric aspect? -- There are many different ways to write about lighthouses, so there are just as many different ways to categorize the writing.

pezerp59

Inexorable
Registered
Reaction score
A lighthouse is a beacon on events through the ages. Definite historical ramifications.