• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Lionsong Publishing

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Double-digit total sales are not an innate limitation, but low-triple-digit sales quite arguably are. And if sales are any higher than that, the book should be offset.

And yet PoD books do sell in the thousands pretty routinely from some publishers. As is Barnes and Noble on-the-shelf stocking etc. It happens pretty routinely for some romance presses and romance genre books shelves are normally made large enough to accommodate these types of books. I see PoD from 5-6 romance presses in most bookstores that I go into.

I am not saying it is common; I am saying it is clearly possible.

HapiSofi

Hagiographically Advantaged
Registered
Reaction score
I am speaking of their paperback distribution and sales. Which, for popular titles, certainly run in the thousands, sometimes more than that.

Ergo I can only conclude such results are possible with PoD.

Veinglory, I'm not saying it can't happen; but if a publisher is podding a title that sells in the thousands, their head of production ... er ... has some explaining to do.

ResearchGuy

Resident Curmudgeon
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.umbachconsulting.com
Veinglory, I'm not saying it can't happen; but if a publisher is podding a title that sells in the thousands, their head of production ... er ... has some explaining to do.
It is not either/or. One can have books printed to order AND a short or long run printed, too. LS and even Lulu print or broker larger orders by offset.

--Ken

HapiSofi

Registered
Reaction score
It is not either/or. One can have books printed to order AND a short or long run printed, too. LS and even Lulu print or broker larger orders by offset.

If the book is being offset, I don't see where we're disagreeing.

ResearchGuy

Resident Curmudgeon
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.umbachconsulting.com
This is getting rather far afield from Lionsong.
True. The potential connection is that, IMHO, Lionsong is probably a work in progress. And it might well find ways of finessing methods or building on where the business started. Hopefully the business does well by authors in the process, and develops a sustainable model.

[Edited to add: I was bending over backwards to be kind to those folks. Plainly, though, the needed progress, assuming they are willing to pursue it, could take several years and should be developed on the basis of the proprietor or proprietors' own books or their own editions of public domain works. That way no one else gets hurt. But if they have already signed someone, first thing is to fix what's wrong with the model (pretty much everything, frankly), or promptly set those folks free to pursue other opportunities.]

--Ken

Last edited:

HapiSofi

Registered
Reaction score
I'd apply the standard advice: don't send your finished work to a publisher that's a work in progress. They can recover from their early errors a lot more easily than your book can recover from being poorly published.

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Heaven is a place on earth called Toronto.
Website
www.marianperera.com
Lionsong's founder's last post to the site was on April 29, and since then it doesn't seem to have been updated until the news from today:

I’m sorry to say that due to computer problems and other difficulties, we will not be accepting any new submissions. We hope to be up and running again soon!

Figgy

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
Registered
Reaction score
This may well be the case, guys.

I have been unable to get in contact with the owner to discuss things properly with her. Could be computer issues, but if she's hiding from you, she's also hiding from me.

G. Applejack

Write faster! FASTER!
Registered
Reaction score
This may well be the case, guys.

I have been unable to get in contact with the owner to discuss things properly with her. Could be computer issues, but if she's hiding from you, she's also hiding from me.

Damn, that's a shame for you Figgy. I'm sure you know, but that's no way to run a business. My best advice for you is to count this as a loss and move on with your career.

aliceshortcake

Wilde about Oscar
Registered
Reaction score
Figgy, I don't think there was any way this enterprise could have ended well. At least you (and any potential authors) were spared the all-too-familiar implosion in which first publishing rights were lost and royalties left unpaid.