Cell Phones Novels the future of writing: new media culture changing how we look at writing

Status
Not open for further replies.

helloCharlie

Registered
Reaction score
For those who don't know a cell phone novel is exactly as the title says it to be. A cell phone novel is a novel written for cell phones. Cell Phone Novels were first made popular in Japan with the every-day commuter in mind. Cell Phone Novels consist of chapters of about 70 to 100 words and heavily utilize minimalist techniques. Cell Phone Novels are meant to be quick reads to keep one entertained throughout commutes, a concept that also has given rise to the Japanese Light Novel - small novels that are about 20k words or less and are primarily targeted towards teens and young adults.

Light novels and cell phone novels both reflect a change in writing culture due to the rise of the need for convenience, a change heavily reflected in new media and technology. People no longer have the time to just sit and contemplate a heavy book. People want something quick and juicy, something that can flip their switch and keep them entertained for a specific length of time without any need to have to seriously consider the material.

Cell Phone Novels offer just that. The thing about cell phone novels that I want to emphasize is that a cell phone novel does not mean a novel written in emoticons and text slang. These are just economically written novels.

Cell Phone Novels are now slowly growing in popularity outside of Japan. There are several now that are written in English. Just Google "cell phone novel" and you'll get quite a few results.

What do you think? Do you think this growing trend is something we should be worrying about? Is this growing need for convenience going to pollute the way we think about the art of writing or perhaps is the long-winded novel a thing of the past and that we should make way for the economically written prose of the future?

AshleyEpidemic

Did you see my bag?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.soipondered.wordpress.com
I think it would just be a new way to consume media. It won't make novels go extinct or the quality of novels to go down. If anything, the quality of novels would improve.

I am going to use the example of something similar, cell phone games to traditional console games. Keep in mind when I am saying console games, I am also going to include PC gaming.

When cell phone games started popping up, they were a way to pass time. They are designed for quick consumption, easy game play, and save points. Most of these games are uses to boredom, not something someone actively seeks out because they need to play them. There is an increase of high quality games for mobile platforms. Many of those were first console games or are a secondary game based off a console game.

Console games maintain a higher level of standards because they are designed for a longer form. People still consume console games for that reason. Why would readers who want something more than a cell phone book, not pick up a novel? The two forms in fact, like games, can work together if done properly.

FYI I am willing to drop $10-60 on a video game, but still hesitate to download a free app game with mediocre, sometimes even really good reviews.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
I've been hearing this for thirty years. A novel is a novel, and reading is reading.

Buffysquirrel

Registered
Reaction score
People no longer have the time to just sit and contemplate a heavy book. People want something quick and juicy, something that can flip their switch and keep them entertained for a specific length of time without any need to have to seriously consider the material.

All people? Rly?

OJCade

Registered
Reaction score
Maybe it's me, but I don't see a lot of people reading their cell phones during commutes. A lot of them have Kindles, though...

JustSarah

Registered
Reaction score
Website
about.me
And you also have to take into consideration that novels generally go by word count. 4,200 words is still going to be technically counted as short story, and small enough to fit in a fantasy and science fiction zine.

OJCade

Registered
Reaction score
^Yes, exactly. 4200 words isn't even long enough to be a novelette, let alone an actual novel.

I can't conceive how irritated it would make me to read a novel in chapters of 70-100 words. Sounds closer to strings of narrative poetry than anything else.

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
God help us. Seems like catering to the brain-dead.

...People want something quick and juicy, something that can flip their switch and keep them entertained for a specific length of time without any need to have to seriously consider the material.

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com

This.

They aren't novels. Cell phone novels are just short stories. We already have those. Giving them a "fad" name doesn't change anything. Nor will it suddenly make short stories more popular than real novels.

This just sounds like a marketing gimmick to me.

Besides, it hurts my eyes trying to read on my phone.

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My phone has an ebook reader, and although I've read a few novels and short stories on it, the experience wasn't any more rewarding than reading on any other device or paper. I think it's too easy to say that any wizz-bang gadget is going to fundamentally change things, when in reality (as said above) the only thing that's really changed is how we consume the product (here, the stories) rather than change the product itself. The more things change the more they stay the same.

milkweed

Abuses commas at will.
Registered
Reaction score
This.

They aren't novels. Cell phone novels are just short stories. We already have those. Giving them a "fad" name doesn't change anything. Nor will it suddenly make short stories more popular than real novels.

This just sounds like a marketing gimmick to me.

Besides, it hurts my eyes trying to read on my phone.

Readers Digest comes to mind... I can remember actually enjoying reading readers digest when I was a kid during a time when I was rather ill, so my grandparents unloaded gobs of them onto my parents for me to read. I could share where one would read such a story, aside from when one is commuting, but I'll leave this to the imagination. :evil

I can see me cranking a few short stories out for this particular niche, could be a great way to test the waters for a new book idea.

helloCharlie

Registered
Reaction score
All people? Rly?

I was speaking generally of course.

What's the difference between a 'cell phone novel' and a long short story?

(Or novelette, or novella?)

I've sold a bunch of them, but to traditional publishers.

As everyone has already mentioned, cell phone novels are much much shorter. Again, a typical chapter is about 70 to 100 words only.

Maybe it's me, but I don't see a lot of people reading their cell phones during commutes. A lot of them have Kindles, though...

Well I am not surprised if you are talking about a place outside of Japan. It is still quite new outside of Japan and has barely gathered an audience. If you were to go to Japan you'd probably see a lot more.

I don't necessarily think so. Based on the few I have read, they are quite nice. We are not talking about "50 Shades of Gray" here.

Perhaps I should have worded my explanation differently.

Hendo

Custom User Title
Registered
Reaction score
I read on my cellphone all the time but it doesn't have to be something short. I'll buy an ebook and then transfer it to my phone or download it there directly. I do prefer holding a book though so my "phone reading" is relegated to when I'm at the gym and doing cardio (which is usually 5-6 days a week for 30 minutes depending on leg day)

JustSarah

Registered
Reaction score
Website
about.me
One question I have about cell phone novels though. Then what would you call a 90,000 word cell phone novel with 100 word chapters? Or is there a chapter limitation too?

I'm not really against the format itself per say (Although I was a late bloomer even when it comes to digital books) as long as I don't have to write short.

FOTSGreg

Today is your last day.
Registered
Reaction score
A land where FTL travel is possible and horrible t
Website
Www.fire-on-the-suns.com
I've got a Kindle app on my cell phone, my iPad, my Acer 7" table, my desktops, and my laptops and netbooks. I frequently use them all to read full-length novels (like all of the first 4 A Song Of Ice and Fire novels, 2 zombie novels, a huge array of gaming manuals, and most recently the novel Dark Piper by Andre Norton).

I see no worth for a "cell phone novel" (which it is not). It's less words than Twitter allows in a tweet. There's no way I'd read something like this and enjoy it for anything more than a few seconds (I read a couple hundred words a minute, at least). It's a tweet, barely, and barely that.

There is no need to "dumb down" an already dumbed-down population worse than it already is. Reading is about relaxation, getting into the stories and characters, reveling in the tone and mood of setting and scene and story. It is not about the average attention span of a sugar-hyped 5-year old masquerading as a caffeine-and-sugar-hyped 15-20-something year old.

Hell, if this were the wave of the future I'd change professions (and I am a writer professionally and technically) in a heartbeat. I can't give instruction to someone in 70-100 words regarding a technical procedure that has to followed exactly and there's no way I believe anyone could build a world in 70-100 words, set a scene, or tell a real story in that number of words.

Haiku, maybe. Poetry, yeah. But there's no way I'm ever going to call such a thing a "novel".

The world of the future is going to be a sad, sad place if this fad ever takes hold.

Yet, someone's making money off it already I'd bet.

And that's the bottom line, right.

For someone, somewhere. Let's rip off writers some more.

<grumble>

Status
Not open for further replies.