Status
Not open for further replies.

sunandshadow

Impractical Fantasy Animal
Registered
Reaction score
Website
home.comcast.net
I'm looking for sci-fi or fantasy methods by which a setting might continuously shrink over the course of the book. I want it to go from the size of a medium continent to only the size of a large city. I don't want to create the feeling that the characters in the setting are trapped or squished because the situation is actually improving; there may be less territory but it's becoming higher-quality as all the good elements get compressed into less space, and there are only about a dozen characters, so as a group they more comfortably fill the smaller space. But I need them to be able to tell that the setting is shrinking, and in needs to shrink this much in maybe a year. I was considering having some kind of barrier at the edge, but I don't want to give the impression that there is a world outside the barrier. And it's not that the people are getting bigger, because they aren't getting any taller relative to buildings, trees, etc.

So, ideas? Are there any existing stories like this?

darkelf

Lurking in darkness
Registered
Reaction score
The main issue I see is the general feeling of panic as your world is getting eaten/washed away/vanishing into mist/etc. There is no way for a person to know for sure if it will stop unless they either caused it themselves or understand the process by which it is happening. Also, people in general like more (more space, more food, more money, etc.) and dislike less, and so will see the shrinking as bad even if their personal situation improves.

In a fantasy setting, there are dozens of ways to do this. One idea could be the world serpent eating it. Or if the world is flat (like Prachett's Diskworld) a chunk of it could break off or it could be crumbling. A deity could scoop some up and stick it in a bottle. A magical barrier that divides the land already could move. The sky could be falling in on the world, collapsing it, except for a section the characters successfully reinforce.

Sci-Fi is more difficult, as there needs to be a more explainable reason. But this could be flooding, radiation, alien terra-forming, they leave in an escape pod of a generation ship, etc.

Just some random thoughts.

darkelf

sarahdalton

Banned
Reaction score
You could think about researching Venice as a real life example - a city that is gradually sinking.

There are lots of coastal erosion examples in the real world. I think there's a town in Wales which is gradually being eroded away. I saw something on the news about a road that just leads straight off a cliff because so much of the coast has eroded away. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6356073.stm

Thought it might be an interesting research avenue.

Torgo

Formerly Phantom of Krankor.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
torgoblog.blogspot.com
There's a book by Lee Harding called Displaced Person that made a powerful impression on me when I was a teenager (though it seems to have largely sunk without trace otherwise.) The teenage protagonist starts to realise that other people are having trouble realising that he's there, until very few people can even see him. He's a ghost in a world that has forgotten about him, and that world is progressively becoming greyer and mistier and shrinking down around him. It's very spooky stuff, keying into obvious teen anxieties. That sense of a bubble shrinking around you is in there.

The Neverending Story has the world shrinking away as it's devoured by the Nothing. Various 'dying earth' settings (Vance, Moorcock etc) have the world metaphorically shrinking (time is running out) and thus often play with themes of millennial panic or hedonism.

skunkmelon

Randomly curious
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenniferponce.com
Langoliers by Stephen King had a shrinking setting. Of course, that was a very perilous type of shrinking, since the langoliers were eating up the past with the protags trapped in it. The Mist (also by Stephen King) has a mist descend on a town and it basically shrink the characters' world to a town. Heck, Under the Dome also shrinks down the characters' world.

An earthquake might take the landmass away or flooding. Perhaps the land is lifted under their town so that they are separated that way from the rest of the world. There could be a magical barrier, either made by another force or made by the 12 intrepid characters to keep the world out. Perhaps the weather kicks up and isolates them--maybe it's a permanent feature or long-lasting like Jupiter's great red spot. They could be trapped in the eye of a giant tornado/hurricane and survive peacefully inside the raging storm.

You could also consider what's the meaning of your story, the big idea, and then see what could be created from that. Maybe it's their growing love for each other that begins to create this barrier or coming together. (That sounds kind of cheesy, but that's what came to mind first. :) )

Sounds like a fun story to explore.

Torgo

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
torgoblog.blogspot.com
Langoliers by Stephen King had a shrinking setting. Of course, that was a very perilous type of shrinking, since the langoliers were eating up the past with the protags trapped in it. The Mist (also by Stephen King) has a mist descend on a town and it basically shrink the characters' world to a town. Heck, Under the Dome also shrinks down the characters' world.

Excellent examples. I had The Langoliers on the tip of my tongue... scary stuff.

Chasing the Horizon

Blowing in the Wind
Registered
Reaction score
The Star Trek TNG episode Remember Me is another good example of this. Beverly gets trapped in a warp bubble like a pocket universe and gradually it shrinks, people and the outside world disappearing until at last the Enterprise itself starts to vanish around her. But like in the Langoliers (which is terrifying, btw) and Never Ending Story, the shrinking world is a very bad thing Beverly must escape before she disappears too.

Generally a shrinking world is going to be bad, because the greater world is being destroyed. The only variation on this I've seen which isn't bad is the intentional creation of a world-within-a-world, the gathering of a people into a small area and sealing it off from the outside world forever. This idea originated in mythology--elder races such as fairies and dwarves creating hidden worlds for themselves to escape the spread of humanity. Flight of Dragons is a great movie which ends this way. This isn't inherently evil or bad because the greater world still exists. Just not for the people who've been sealed into the new, smaller magical world. Don't know if that's more what you're going for?

Torgo

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
torgoblog.blogspot.com
The Star Trek TNG episode Remember Me is another good example of this. Beverly gets trapped in a warp bubble like a pocket universe and gradually it shrinks, people and the outside world disappearing until at last the Enterprise itself starts to vanish around her. But like in the Langoliers (which is terrifying, btw) and Never Ending Story, the shrinking world is a very bad thing Beverly must escape before she disappears too.

Very similar premise to Displaced Person - I often wondered if it was a rip-off, in fact.

sunandshadow

Impractical Fantasy Animal
Registered
Reaction score
Website
home.comcast.net
You could also consider what's the meaning of your story, the big idea, and then see what could be created from that.
This is actually where I got the idea in the first place. I was thinking about the idea of the yo-yo universe - that in the beginning of time all matter was compressed into a single point and then the big bang happened and since then it's been expanding outward. Then supposedly at some point it stops expanding and starts contracting back to that single point. This is the end of that universe, but a new one is born immediately, and the way the new one forms may have been influenced by the previous one.

So I wanted to do a smaller scale version of that - a "good apocalypse". It's also like an annual flower - it dies but if it successfully made even one seed then that core starts a new life. The world's sort of ending, but it successfully completed its purpose and the new one will be even better because the characters are getting to help design it, including fixes for what they consider to be 'bugs' in the real world.

That's also why I don't think panic will be an insurmountable problem. The characters don't initially know any of this about the world ending or that they are participating in creating a new better one, at first they just know life is getting weird, including the shrinking setting. But by the midpoint of the story they are realizing that their real task is to help create the new world, and the built-in reward is that they will get to move into it. The bigger problem is the mess that will result if they are in strong disagreement with each other about what the new world should be like when zero-hour arrives. So they are mainly worried about each other causing problems, while the setting has become a known and predictable thing. It's a big clock counting slowly down, but not dangerous.

skunkmelon

Randomly curious
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenniferponce.com
The bigger problem is the mess that will result if they are in strong disagreement with each other about what the new world should be like when zero-hour arrives. So they are mainly worried about each other causing problems, while the setting has become a known and predictable thing. It's a big clock counting slowly down, but not dangerous.

That immediately made me think of Gozer in Ghostbusters and the resulting Stay-Puft Marshmallow man! :)

I like the idea and there would definitely be a lot of tension if some people's version of what the new world should be conflicted with the others. There would also be, I would imagine, some underlying sadness about the old, even if it was a crummy old. It would be like dying, yearning for the life you had or at least thinking back on it, while hoping that you were headed for something better.

orion_mk3

Ne Cede Malis
Registered
Reaction score
I'm reminded of an old PS2 JRPG called "Stella Deus." Possibly influenced by King, it posited a choking, poisonous mist called "miasma" that was gradually overwhelming the world.

The church-analogue declared that the creeping miasma which would soon overwhelm civilization was divine will, and that people whould lay down before it in an orderly fashion. Various freelance hunters drained the energy of magical beings to power shields to keep the miasma temporarily at bay (and research into a solution).

Of course, it naturally turns out that the act of draining those beings is the root cause of the miasma, and that the scientist working on a solution is driven to immorality and evil :)

LOTLOF

Registered
Reaction score
If the setting is fantasy you can always explain it through magic. If it is science fiction, your best bet is to say they are on an artificial construct, or a colony world and blame alien technology.

What about all the people living all over this continent? Even if it's a, 'good apocalypse' I can't believe there is not going to be mass panic as the world around them disappears. That could be conflict within your story though. Having those wanting this radical change opposed by those who want to stop it and 'save' their world.

Last edited:

SianaBlackwood

Registered
Reaction score
Website
sb.siasan.com
I'll just throw in the Stargate: SG-1 episode Revisions as a suggestion of a way to avoid having the people panic about their shrinking world.

MattW

Company Man
Registered
Reaction score
Nights of Villjamur by Mark Charan Newton has a creeping ice age that makes habitable lands, fuel, and arable land disappear for decades or longer.

The setting seems to shrink down to the cities and the local areas.

Cornelius Gault

New writer since 07/2012.
Banned
Registered
Reaction score
I didn't see this above, but perhaps there is a growing something (weed, pestilence, plague, man-made virus, etc) that is gradually destroying everything. The inhabitants can see it from a distance as it slowly overtakes everything around them.

Something more futuristic might be nano-machines that are out of control, with their goal being to turn everthing into a single substance (carbon or whatever their programming indicates).

Treehouseman

Registered
Reaction score
On The Beach by Neville Shute? There was a nuclear winter/radiation spreading southwards from the Northern Hemisphere.

mercs

Registered
Reaction score
You guys are too good. Had The Mist and Neverending Story as two such examples of a setting getting smaller and smaller, but both been said!

Status
Not open for further replies.