Bored with my own book?

PickleHeartsBooks

Registered
Reaction score
I usually end up getting bored with my books, but I read through them and edit them a lotttttt. I also follow a bunch of authors on twitter, who have tweeted many times something like: "remember, your books seems boring and unpredictable because YOU wrote it and read it a billion times."
I think it's normal to get bored of reading the same thing over and over and over and over and over..... lol
for those people who don't get bored, that's great.

Toothpick

Registered
Reaction score
I'm writing my very first novel and I'm super super excited about it, I may very well never have been this much excited about anything in my life..and I edit, rewrite, add or remove something each day .. yet there are days like one of earlier days when I looked at the words and I just saw letters dressed in black, and I was bored out of my skull. It was not because of the story or characters or plot or anything, it was the process of writing/editing which made me think about how I would rather do something else in that moment. Maybe it's the process you're bored with, not your story or characters. Maybe take a day or a week off and don't think of it at all, maybe then excitement finds you again ^^

mtj0000

Registered
Reaction score
Maybe what your sick of is not the book itself but the constant feeling that there are errors and mistakes. Editing is also not a very creative process, maybe take a small break and write something else.

WriteMinded

Derailed
Registered
Reaction score
Hmm. A resurrected thread.

I never tire or reading my own books. :eek:
Somebody has to do it.

indianroads

Wherever I go, there I am.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
indianroads.net
I read / edited my first book about 10 times before it was submitted. My current book I went through 18 times because the plot was more complex than the first. I usually keep at it until I know pretty much ever sentence, and start changing things back to the way they were in previous edits.

Curlz

cutsie-pie
Registered
Reaction score
I would occasionally open old files with unfinished stuff and they would suddenly look inspiring (well, maybe not all of them ;) ). It may be just a temporary thing, being bored with a WIP.

indianroads

Wherever I go, there I am.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
indianroads.net
My process is to think about a possible novel for a LONG time - months, maybe even a year. I build the world in my head and get a general feel for the MC. Sometimes during this phase I have dreams about the story, which often adds extra dimensions.

The writing process starts AFTER whatever I'm working on is complete. Then I plot the general line the story will follow to see what the length of it will be - if there's not enough meat there I move on to another project. If there is meat though, that's when the work really starts - and it's like I've dropped a rock off a cliff. The story becomes pretty much all I think about, and every day I put in a lot of hours on it. I become obsessed, and live the story as it gets written.

This is probably why I never have more than one WIP.

PorterStarrByrd

nutruring tomorrows criminals today
Registered
Reaction score
If the boook bores you think "trunk mauscript" and start writing something with more interest and life. You don't HAVE to write so if the process is of not interest find another hobby.

I can still read my stuff with a critical eye each time I pick it up and am never bored by the writing. I get distracted because I have too many interests but pick up writing what I was writing with no reduced interest when I get back to the cycle.

The Otter

Friendly Neighborhood Mustelid
Registered
Reaction score
In the room next to the noisy ice machine, for all
Yeah, after you've edited the book for the fifteenth time it's hard not to get bored. I think this is a normal part of the process. It's why I usually have multiple WIPs, which I work on in stagger-fashion: once I'm absolutely sick of one I go back to editing the other for a while.

Antipode91

Registered
Reaction score
Well, I typically like what I write a lot (I even read my older books for the fun of it, and forget how much I enjoyed writing them). But I do only work on one story at a time. I live and breathe it. The characters are my buddies, because I've thought about them so many times--their dialogue, their actions and life. So being able to read about them is like being with friends again.

That said, when I'm editing the book for a long time, I start to feel like what I'm writing is really bad. So I just pull back for a day or two and come back.