MS Request Concern

JohnnyCat38

Registered
Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I fortunately had an agent request my full back in June. She asked me if I had approached any publishers directly with my project. And, if so, she wanted to know which ones. I told her I hadn't approached any publishers directly with my project. I also told her I had self-published some copies of the book, but had since retired it. I self-published with Create Space. I haven't heard back from her after some gentle nudging. Do you think she was turned off by the whole self-publishing thing and hasn't responded as a result? I've been patient because she's a pretty successful agent.

Drachen Jager

Professor of applied misanthropy
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, even though you pulled it, the fact that it's been published will turn nearly every agent and editor away. Chalk it up as a learning experience and move on to the next project.

Susan Coffin

Tell it like it Is
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.strokingthepen.com
:welcome: Johnny.

Actually, the agent is the only one who can tell you why she has not gotten back to you.

We all make mistakes, and this does sound like a learning experience. Always be up front from second one of approaching agents.

Unfortunately, most agents are not interested in self-published works. I'd chalk this up as a no and move on to working on something new.

Last edited:

Donna Pudick

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
There are some publishers who will accept a previously published book, re-edited, of course. However, these are often e/POD publishers (some good, some bad), and you'd have to do some considerable research to find a decent one.

JohnnyCat38

Registered
Reaction score
It makes sense why she wouldn't offer representation. I just wish she would have told me by now if she was rejecting me.

Drachen Jager

Professor of applied misanthropy
Registered
Reaction score
It makes sense why she wouldn't offer representation. I just wish she would have told me by now if she was rejecting me.

Lots of agents can't be bothered to reply when the answer is no. IMO that's fine for a query, but when material is requested, or things go further than that, the agent really should feel obliged to respond.

In my experience, the good ones generally do and the bad ones generally don't, so you might be better off without this particular agent anyhow.

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
I'd write back and ask again, honestly. Also depends on the agent, though. I had one person who had my full for eleven months before rejecting it (with a form letter). Some people are just notoriously slow. Check them out on Query Tracker and see what their average is.