Children seeing therapists -- protocol for parental permission

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
I would think that a child who knows enough to look for a therapist, and specifically one that won't tell the parents, would feel reassured by the clarity of 'here's a dollar, you're now officially my therapist' . Especially if there's any history of being lied to or betrayed by adults. Even the small betrayals of promising something, then not fulfilling the promise. Or treating the child seriously to her face, then joking about her to other adults.

Pyekett

I need no hot / Words.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, I think it's likely the kid would want it. I think it's unlikely the therapist would do it, for all the reasons listed above. But I suppose a lot depends on how it's written.

Captcha

Banned
Reaction score
Isn't there also an issue of the kid having enough time alone to be doing all this? If I were in contact with a nine year old who regularly had a significant chunk of free time when the parent didn't know where the kid was and the kid was out making contact with strange adults, I'd seriously consider calling the child protection authorities for that alone.

Nine is YOUNG.

Exir

Out of the cradle endlessly rocking
Registered
Reaction score
It doesn't have to be a significant amount of time. One hour once a week is fine.