Hi-diddly-ho, writer'a'rinos!

Introversion

Pie aren't squared, pie are round!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hello, the board!

After months of hearing my lovely spouse (lizmonster is her screen name) talk fondly of these forums -- and the help, support, and inspiration she garners from them -- I finally decided to come out of my shell and sign up.

Me: Extreme introvert. Not very shy, though; just like to retreat away from people on most days. Software geek by day (and more nights and weekends than I'd like). Grew up in various states (Florida, Connecticut, Massachusetts, Iowa), living in Massachusetts now and mostly liking it. (Most of the time, we don't bomb each other, thankfully.)

I've been writing stories in my head since childhood. I always enjoyed writing in school. I was actually on the verge of declaring a journalism major in college, but decided on software engineering instead. There are times when I'm not sure whether that was a good move. On the one hand, the pay is good. On the other hand, sometimes it is a bit soul-draining. It doesn't always feed me.

The path not taken and all, sure. But I recall feeling that software felt like a "safer" route in college. It was, for me.

I understand my adult self a bit better now, and I've long been aware how many in my profession are also introverts. So, I see now that deciding to write for a, you know, job, was raising my introvert's hackles. Putting myself out there every day, for people to read?? It was safer for me to just crouch behind a keyboard, chug caffeine, and grunt at the occasional non-geek who wandered into the cave.

But, it's been nagging at me for some time now: I really think I'd like to put some stories to paper. Or at least, electrons.

And, this thing called the Internet sprang into being, and I found that I enjoyed writing for other people in various forums. (So long as I didn't need to do the face-to-face thing...)

Lizmonster was a real inspiration to me too. She works her arse off; has finished one novel and a draft of another, and I'm confident will find an agent and publish. She's made it look... possible, if not easy.

Hence, I'm pecking away at a novel now. Science-fiction; my preferred genre since the first grade when I cut my literary teeth on "The Wonderful Flight to the Mushroom Planet" and "Strangers from the Depths".

20,000 words so far, roughly half of which I'd not be embarrassed to call "first draft" material. The road is longish, but I think I know where it's going. Not sure when it'll be done, or whether anyone will like it. But, so far, I do. :)

Using Scrivener on a Mac; love the program. Really makes writing a pleasure for once!

Anyways, hello everyone, and nice to be here. I'll probably be mostly lurking for awhile yet, scoping the lay of the land & such.

--Steve

Introversion

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Don't jinx me, hon. :D

Welcome!

Well, it's never a competition, and I'm happy enough at the moment to be eating your dust. ;)

But hey, I wrote 54 words this past hour! 2017 completion date, here I come...

thebird

Registered
Reaction score
I just recently started using Scrivener on my Mac and I'm in love with it. I've actually noticed I've been writing more than usual because I like the program so much. (Although I have no doubt the novelty of it will wear off eventually, but for now, I'm enjoying my increased productivity!)

rwm4768

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome. I'm glad you've gotten into writing. Software engineer sounds like a worthy job, but I know I couldn't do it without doing writing in my off-hours. In your science fiction, do you write cyberpunk?

Gargoyle

Working on plot and structure!
Registered
Reaction score
Greetings...

I am a 'puter geek as well, 18 years now. I also have tried Scrivener for both Mac and PC. The PC version doesn't have the same features as the MAC for some reason, but is slowly maturing.

Good luck with your writing..
Alex

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
hello.gif

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. Take some time to greet fellow newbies,
critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!

Introversion

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I just recently started using Scrivener on my Mac and I'm in love with it. I've actually noticed I've been writing more than usual because I like the program so much. (Although I have no doubt the novelty of it will wear off eventually, but for now, I'm enjoying my increased productivity!)

I'm sure I'm not scratching the surface of what it can do, but I really like using it too.

I love having multiple places to scribble notes in the margins. This is probably my favorite feature.

Mostly, it just seems to work like I'd hope. I love being able to highlight a passage, or a sub-chapter, or a set of chapters, and get a word-count, but also to see that whole selection in the document "view", including chapter separators if appropriate.

I like having multiple ways to view the work, though I usually use the "binder" view, and not the "corkboard".

I like that I can compile to different formats when it comes to publishing, though I haven't played around with this feature much yet.

Introversion

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome. I'm glad you've gotten into writing. Software engineer sounds like a worthy job, but I know I couldn't do it without doing writing in my off-hours.

At times it's quite fulfilling, a real creative rush. And there's real satisfaction in solving a hard technical problem with elegance, and some confidence of it being bullet-proof.

But, like any job, a lot of it is also sheer drudgery, punctuated by moments of panic. (My present employer's software is used by many businesses worldwide, large to small, to let customers schedule appointments with them. When it hiccups, we hear about it, day or night. Being a very small company, we don't get the luxury of saying we'll get to it when we get to it. People sometimes get phoned in the wee hours to look at problems.)

In your science fiction, do you write cyberpunk?

I love reading cyberpunk, but I don't seem to be writing it. I'm not really sure what to call what I'm writing at the moment. It's not "hard" SF.

I guess much of my universe is like feudal Japan, in terms of the technology available to most people. It's post-"fall" on a wide galactic scale (though that's far enough in the past that I don't explicitly say much about it). The remnants of high technology that still exist are mostly biological; the products of extremely advanced genetic-engineering. I have sentient, living "star ships" that serve as my plot-device for getting people from place to place. But, they're very independent beings, not "buses" to be driven by people.

Aliens, too, though mostly "humans", who have also diverged enough that there are now separate species.

Introversion

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Greetings...

I am a 'puter geek as well, 18 years now. I also have tried Scrivener for both Mac and PC. The PC version doesn't have the same features as the MAC for some reason, but is slowly maturing.

Good luck with your writing..
Alex

Thanks!

I believe Scrivener originated on the Mac, and was ported to Windows? I suppose it's unsurprising that some original features might have been written to a particular aspect of the platform, and would be hard to transition.

Introversion

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:welcome: Hi Steve.

Good to have you aboard. The two of you make an awesome couple. :D

Awwww. :hi: Thanks. Liz has mentioned you by name many times. It's nice to "meet" some of her friends here.

Introversion

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
PS - Gail, that is an awesome photo of your cat. He? She? looks a bit like our big ball of fluff, Marmalade. She and our daughter are more like sisters than a pet & her human. :D

muse

standing on head, typing one-handed...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hi, Steve, welcome to the mad house.:welcome:

Another Scrivener lover here, although I have the less advanced, (although catching up quick) PC edition.:D

Introversion

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hi, Steve, welcome to the mad house.:welcome:

Heh, thanks.

Another Scrivener lover here, although I have the less advanced, (although catching up quick) PC edition.:D

:) I'm not sure whether I'd notice. I mostly stick to the basics. And since some of the features seem to be aimed at screenplays or non-fiction works rather than novels, I doubt I'll ever use them.

Speaking as a software grunt by trade, and knowing that it's essentially a one-person shop that makes it, I have huge respect for what one guy has done. It seems a well-written, well-featured, well-supported app sold at a reasonable price.

Jim Riley

Louisiana: Sportsman's Paradise
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome,
Jim

L. Y.

Thread surfer and virtual bartender
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to the Water Cooler!

:welcome:

AW is a huge place, and there's a lot of information to be found here. Take your time and browse around to get a feel of the various forums.

And don't forget to check out the Newbie Guide. Enjoy your stay. :)

vagough

Traveling down the Query Road...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
goughpubs.wordpress.com
Welcome! There is a lot to explore on AW, and I'm sure Liz will be a great guide for you.

Am not familiar with Scrivener but just downloaded a trial version to check out on my MBP.

Isn't the cat that Gail has as her avatar great?! Our vet likes to say that calico cats are the redheads of the cat world. (The vet is a redhead and is particularly fond of our wild little calico. :)

Introversion

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Am not familiar with Scrivener but just downloaded a trial version to check out on my MBP.

Liz likes to remind me that not everything works for everyone. For example, she and I approach writing a bit differently. I tried the NaNoWriMo thing, and it was a miserable flop for me.

But Scrivener is something we agree on 110%: Nice tool for writers.

Isn't the cat that Gail has as her avatar great?! Our vet likes to say that calico cats are the redheads of the cat world. (The vet is a redhead and is particularly fond of our wild little calico. :)

Our calico ball of fluffy malevolence has less red in her fur, but she's got it aplenty in her personality. :evil