Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Have a question about the Library? Ask it here.

Barbershoppin' Harmony Whore BardSkye's Avatar
    Okay, it's up in the Science Fiction/Fantasy section. Would you be so kind as to check and make sure everything is good? Especially the cover thumbnail; I'm having some problems getting file sizes right and it may be too big.

Many thanks!

Looks good! The cover's a bit large, but not overly so. It can stay that way. I'll let Roger know (mod of that room in the library) so that he knows you asked about putting it up, and so that he can add your listing to the index.
    "Hey, Steve, just because you broke into Xerox's store before I did and took the TV doesn't mean I can't go in later and steal the stereo." -- Bill Gates, Mac Week, March 14, 1989

Stories of Strength
    My listing in the Absolute Write Library.
    Support the Author Advocate Defense Fund

Barbershoppin' Harmony Whore BardSkye's Avatar
    Thank you, darlin'. Much obliged.

Been a long time... OneTeam OneDream's Avatar
    Sports??...what about Sports?? Where would they go? Non-Fiction perhaps?

Yeah, I'd put it in non-fiction, Chris.
    "Hey, Steve, just because you broke into Xerox's store before I did and took the TV doesn't mean I can't go in later and steal the stereo." -- Bill Gates, Mac Week, March 14, 1989

Stories of Strength

Hi Charlie,

I was wondering if there's a place for stories published in e-zines. Should these just be placed in the Magazines section?

-Adam
    hAunted (working title)

If it's fiction, I'd put it under the appropriate genre.

Stories of Strength

I *am* Catwoman...and Gini Koch WPR Dominatrix JeanneTGC's Avatar
    I have a couple questions, relating to humor.

First, are humorous shorts that have been published okay to put up?

Next, if they are, and are online, is putting up the link to the humor short acceptable? I think I would run into problems if I posted the pieces anywhere but where they were published, since they own the first internet rights.
    Jeanne

Action, Adventure, Romance & Humor
    Coming May 5, 2015, Alien Separation -- Preorder NOW!

--Click the covers to go to my website for details & more!

Self-Banned
    I got a book overdue two months. I've recently heard that it can affect my credit rating. Since I would shoot any librarian who would report it, what would my sentence be?

Quote Originally Posted by JeanneTGC View Post
    I have a couple questions, relating to humor.

First, are humorous shorts that have been published okay to put up?

Next, if they are, and are online, is putting up the link to the humor short acceptable? I think I would run into problems if I posted the pieces anywhere but where they were published, since they own the first internet rights.
    Putting a link to them is fine. We don't want the actual work posted here anyway, the Library is just meant to be a catalogue.
    Last edited by ChunkyC; 02-23-2007 at 05:59 AM.

Stories of Strength

I have some questions:

Would books printed by lulu.com be allowed to be listed? I currently have one on that site and I may have another later this year (after I've done the editing etc.)

Do I have to use my real name when posting the books? I have written these books under pseudonyms, so would it be these pseudonyms that I use? (They are two very different types of books, and the name I use for the one would not fit the other)

Thank you for your replies.
    That's Tee kee' rahm

practical experience, FTW Sarita's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Thekherham View Post
    Do I have to use my real name when posting the books? I have written these books under pseudonyms, so would it be these pseudonyms that I use? (They are two very different types of books, and the name I use for the one would not fit the other)
    You can have the MOD of the genre post them for you if you A) don't want it associated with your user name or B) Don't want 2 books with different names associated with each other.

Would books printed by lulu.com be allowed to be listed?
    Yes, self-pubs are allowed per CC, here:
    Quote Originally Posted by ChunkyC View Post
    Question: What kind of books are allowed in the Library?

Anything a visitor to the Library could get a hold of out in the real world, or online. As I mentioned above, we want the Library to be inclusive. Therefore self pubbed/vanity press etc. books qualify because they are something a person could purchase if they knew where to find them. Remember, the Library is intended to be a place for us to discover what our fellow members have written, not to make any judgements on how it was published.
    ~Sara

Winter is on my head, but eternal spring is in my heart.~ Hugo

The force is strong in this one. williemeikle's Avatar
    Any chance of starting a Film library section?

I've written a couple of shorts that are getting made, and have a feature coming later in the year, and it would be cool to have other screenwriters here be able to cataloge our film creadits in a similar way to the way we do our books....

Willie

Great idea, Willie. I'll get it up at some point today (dratted day job keeps interfering with important stuff like this....)

Stories of Strength

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin spywriter's Avatar

Number of posts

Hello,

I want to list my book here, but there is rule that says you must have 50 or more posts. I have 34 under the new webpage, but when you guys ran it in the old system a few years ago, I had over 100 posts. When you moved, everyone started from 0 again. Do my previous posts count, or not?

Thanks!

I think we can bend the rule for you, spy. The restriction was just to prevent spammers and the like from doing drive-bys, and the 50 post thing reflects the level you need to reach for the system to automatically move you from being a Registered User, to a Super Member, so it was the easiest way for us to set it up.

What I'll do is manually add you to the Super Member group, since you're nearly there anyway (and coz you asked real nice-like ). Lemme know if you run into any problems making your library post.

Stories of Strength

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin spywriter's Avatar

Library

Thanks a lot! I appreciate the time it will take you to do that. I will give it a go this week and I will let you know if I have any problems!

OUTCAST is out now!!!! Toothpaste's Avatar
    Hey, my book isn't out until August, but is available to pre-order online, is it okay to put it up anyway?
    RYAN GOSLING MUST BE STOPPED - my new webseries what I co-wrote/directed/produced, check it out!
    Episode 1 Episode 2 Episode 3 Episode 4 Episode 5

My Website,
    Follow Me On Twitter!

No Time For Chitchat, Kemosabe. badducky's Avatar
    I'd like to second Toothpaste's question...
    Come by my website

Quote Originally Posted by Toothpaste View Post
    Hey, my book isn't out until August, but is available to pre-order online, is it okay to put it up anyway?
    Sure! Just note the release date in your entry, and that it's available for preorder. You can go back and tweak the post after it's released.

Stories of Strength

I'd like to list a couple of my books in the library but I am confused about starting a new thread or what?

Full instructions on posting to the Library are here.

Stories of Strength

practical experience, FTW wayndom's Avatar

cover photo?

Never mind... made it work.
    Last edited by wayndom; 08-17-2007 at 07:48 AM.

writing for kids and teens Cassidy's Avatar
    Hi,
    I just posted my new book in the library (under children's/YA) but am having trouble with formatting... my list looks ok on my screen but when I post it all just runs together. I just cut and pasted the template from the instructions page so I'm not sure what the problem is. Any suggestions for how I can fix it? Also, what is the insert image function and how do find it? Thanks!

Hi Cassidy!

Sorry it took a while to get here. I see you have the formatting squared away. As for the insert image thingy, it's the yellow box with tiny mountains, you'll see it in the tools when making a post. It looks like this: When you click it, you get a box where you can enter a url, such as a link to photobucket.

Hope that helps. Feel free to drop me a PM if you are still having trouble making it work.

Stories of Strength

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast