Happy Thanksgiving

AW Amazon Store

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: Indie Ink Publishing

practical experience, FTW SBibb's Avatar

Indie Ink Publishing

Tried to do a search for this, but the search kept throwing out the word "ink." Apologies if there is already a thread for this publisher.

Anyways, I was wondering if anyone has had any dealings with them.

http://indieinkpublishing.com/

I noticed they publish a variety of books, though most look to be non-fiction and they still only have a small selection (started within last couple years?).

They are based in Canada, so I didn't know if that would affect submitting to them from the U.S.

A plus for them, though, is that I did see one of their books (the tornado one) at a local indie bookstore. They had an author signing (I happened to be there earlier in the day, so I didn't see the actual event), and I took a look at the book recently, and the formatting looks great. Of course, being that it was based around Tornado Alley, it might also have been targeted for a specific market.

According to their website, they have quarterly submission periods, and a collaborative publishing model.

Thoughts? Experiences?

Thanks. :-)
    Current Works:
    Glitch - (NA Science Fantasy Novel) Revisions and Edits

Cover illustration - My Blog - The Multiverse Chronicles - Steampunk Fantasy Blog Series

On a small world west of wonder LindaJeanne's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SBibb View Post
    Tried to do a search for this, but the search kept throwing out the word "ink."
    Search tip of the day: When a forum or website's search engine isn't doing what you want, if the site/forum isn't hidden behind a password you can search using google. Type:

site:http://absolutewrite.com/ "indie ink"

Currently, this thread is the only search result
    "A story told, that can't be real / yet somehow must reflect the truth we feel..." -- Black Sabbath / Ronnie James Dio

Quote Originally Posted by LindaJeanne View Post
    Search tip of the day: When a forum or website's search engine isn't doing what you want, if the site/forum isn't hidden behind a password you can search using google. Type:

site:http://absolutewrite.com/ "indie ink"

Currently, this thread is the only search result
    Ah, good to know. I'll have to remember that. :-)
    Current Works:

Cover illustration - My Blog - The Multiverse Chronicles - Steampunk Fantasy Blog Series

Your Genial Uncle Absolute Sage James D. Macdonald's Avatar
    There's a Google Custom Search link in the bottom left of every page.

And we have an Index thread stickied at the top of the forum. Open it and use your browser's search function to get the link.

Quote Originally Posted by James D. Macdonald View Post
    There's a Google Custom Search link in the bottom left of every page.

And we have an Index thread stickied at the top of the forum. Open it and use your browser's search function to get the link.

Thanks, I'll try that next time the usual search doesn't seem to be helpful. :-)

Meanwhile, I guess the publisher is still new enough there haven't been much interaction with them.
    Current Works:

Did you see this page on their website? http://indieinkpublishing.com/collaborative-publishing/

From the wording, it seems like this is a subsidy publisher. I get a bad vibe any time they start talking about "shared risk."

Just what I gathered from the site. I don't have any experience with them.

Looks like a collaborative venture, half self-publishing and half commercial (in their words and example). Anytime a publisher talks about minimizing risks and cost sharing, for some reason I think the author is in for a bad ride.

Hagiographically Advantaged AW Moderator HapiSofi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by triceretops View Post
    Looks like a collaborative venture, half self-publishing and half commercial (in their words and example). Anytime a publisher talks about minimizing risks and cost sharing, for some reason I think the author is in for a bad ride.
    Right you are. In real publishing, the author hazards their book, and the publisher hazards everything else.

Furthermore, I have yet to see one of these "shared risk" propositions where the exposure is evenly split.
    Winner of the Best Drycleaner on the Block Award.

I was wondering what their collaborative publishing entailed. I'll keep an eye on it, then, but I'll be wary of them until I see further evidence of whether they have a decent collaborative model or not.

Thanks for the input. :-)
    Current Works:

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    Hasn't published anything since '13, but is socially active. Anyone have recent contact?
    ICAO
    ---------

Censorship always defeats its own purpose, for it creates in the end the kind of society that is incapable of exercising real discretion. -- Henry Steele Commager
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

A lot of their images are broken :0 Suggests inactivity, but they're apparently socially active.
    YA debut BURRO HILLS coming from Diversion Books on March 20, 2018!

YA LGBT Contemporary/Thriller - On submission + revising
    YA Contemporary Mystery/Horror - Writing, 57k+
    Short Fiction Online: Rabbit Suit

Website
    + Twitter