Buy books by AWers

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: [Printer] Greyden Press

[Printer] Greyden Press

Just got an unsolicited email from Greyden Press, LLC announcing its National Book Competition with over $9,000 in prizes. Looks like a vanity press, but I don't see its prices on its list of numerous services.

With royalty publishers rejecting over 90% of titles submitted, self-publishing is often the way to get your message or story told.
    I would refer them to Slushkiller for the reasons why that is true. (ETA: As in why so many titles are rejected.)

I don't see any fee (am I missing something?), but this is a little troubling:

The first 50 submissions in each category will qualify for the competition.
    Successive submissions are eligible for a prize as outlined on the Prizes page.
    The first 50 submissions (or a significant number of them) could be nigh well unpublishable. What if they're fanfic or garbage text?

Ah, but look at the prizes:
    Silver Lining Prize:

Everybody after the first 50 will get:
    an $800 website for just $400 (plus author pays $15/month hosting fee)
    a $50 Greyden Press gift card for publishing services
    See my quote above about the first 50 submissions.

And what do you get for an $800 website? For a $400 website? You can spend that $15 per month (or less) on private hosting and get your own domain. Perhaps I've missed something, but I don't see web hosting and design services on their site, so it's hard to know what someone would be getting for that money.
    Last edited by JulieB; 04-20-2013 at 05:24 AM.

The Paulest of all Coscas paulcosca's Avatar
    I'd rather have an $800 sandwich for $400. I think I'd see much better use in that.
    http://www.paulcosca.com Where you can find more info about me!

http://www.paulcosca.tumblr.com My blog. Reviews, thoughts, and more!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Paul-...86479458046259 Facebook! This is the way I like communicating best.

shoes are like crack articshark's Avatar
    I spend about $5 bucks a month for my own domain. It's not too incredibly snazy but I like it. My web host gives me free mailboxes, were incredibly attentive during the latest round of brute force attacks and if I get tired of the freebie word press themes, they will do a custom one for about $50. I had to pay for a year in advance, I got a full backup of my site, personal info obscuring, my domain, etc. for about $80 per year.

I checked out the site you listed. Went to their "bookstore." It had 5 titles on the front page, one book for $129. And not titles I would want to read. At all.

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    Dropped "self-publishing services" in April '15. (BizJournals article)
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017: