Not open for further replies.

PeteMC

@PeteMC666
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
talonwraith.wordpress.com
I don't care for Steampunk at all, although I have no idea why.

I absolutely love retro futurism but the 1930s-50s type (what William Gibson called "Raygun Gothic"), although other than the rather meh Skycaptain film I can't think of anything I've actually seen or read in that genre. I've got a huge collection of awesome pictures in the style though :)

Dyfedd Rex

Registered
Reaction score
I don't see much of a schism between the fantasy/scifi side, they both can apply. Remember that Victorian/Steam Age era was a big one for spiritualism as well. Lots of ghost and psychic avenues that can also apply if needed.

lauralam

Moonshade
Registered
Reaction score
I wrote mine as sci fi in heavy fantasy drag, and that's usually what I like reading, too. I love the idea of advanced tech that appears to be magic to the users of the world. But as others have said, as long as the story is good, I don't much mind either way.

pezerp59

Inexorable
Registered
Reaction score
I definitely prefer stories with technological threads over pure fantasy.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
I haven't read any steampunk novels, but I like it when sci-fi and fantasy blend together.

I'm never quite sure what to do with steampunk, because it is more often than not married to the theme of Victorian England without a single chance for divorce, and I'm not wholly sold on that particular nook of the world and time.

...that probably explains why I haven't read any steampunk novels.

Erin Latimer

Stay in and write.
Registered
Reaction score
I wrote mine as sci fi in heavy fantasy drag, and that's usually what I like reading, too. I love the idea of advanced tech that appears to be magic to the users of the world. But as others have said, as long as the story is good, I don't much mind either way.

Haha, I like this description. "Fantasy drag". I'm a huge fan of this type of book too. I first got started on steampunk with the Gail Carriger series. I've read Steampunk that was heavy on the tech side, and I find myself getting bored.

My steampunk is a blend of paranormal and sci fi. I think with SP there has to be at least SOME tech, of the advanced kind you didn't see in real life, or it isn't really SP, to my mind. I'm seeing people with historical fantasy tack the "Steampunk" title onto their books, maybe because it was becoming very popular.

Status
Not open for further replies.