Any tattoos?

Moonpetal

metalsmith and shaman
Registered
Reaction score
I just got a new one for my 27th. :hooray:

I'd love to hear about your tattoos, if you have any.

Last edited:

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
What did you get?

I have a blue butterfly above my left ankle, a dove with a heart on my left shoulder blade (was an impulse tatt on a vacation) and three little red hearts outlined in black on my left hand, (for my husband and two kids) which I adore above all mine. All are done on the left side cuz I'm a lefty. I want more but hubby keeps turning me down on it. Plus they're expensive depending on what you want. My little hearts cost 50 bucks and I can hide all three with my one thumb.

dgrintalis

'Tis true, she is a monstergirl
Registered
Reaction score
Betwixt a nightmare and a veil of shadowy dark
I have six (so far)--a Celtic dragon on my lower back, a Celtic knot between my shoulder blades, a swirl design on my inside right wrist, Nevermore on my right ankle, Once upon a time on my inner right forearm, and A paper tiger to swallow me whole on my inner left forearm.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
I have 2 I will not speak of. I got them when I was 16...30years ago.

On my left forearm I have: Om mani padme hum in Tibetan symbols. (July 2012)

On my right inside forearm I have: a pic of a bird on a wire and the Leonard Cohen lyric: I have tried in my way to be free. (Jan 2013)

On my right forearm I have: There is a crack in everything, that's how the light gets in (Jan 2012)

On the back of my left shoulder: POLEPOLE with the latitude and longitude of the Kenyan island of Lamu. (July 2010)

That's all. (-:

I'm going for a pic next. I'm covered in word graffiti. I need art. (-;

jjdebenedictis

is watching you via her avatar
Registered
Reaction score
I've no tattoos because I figure you have to be as committed to a tattoo as you would be to a marriage. It's for life. It's maybe even for longer than life, because if you fall into a glacier and get mummified, when they dig you out, you'll still have your tattoos. :)

I could see myself getting one to memorialize an important event, but I've resisted getting the pretty ones I think would look good simply because I know my taste in artwork would change over the decades, and eventually I'll wish I didn't have it. Again, it's a commitment. Until death (or lasers) do you part!

Y'know, this thread is just begging for some photos, folks...

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Nothing is permanent. Least of all, me. You can see one of my arm tats in my avi. (-;

Elmvine

Registered
Reaction score
I wouldn't get any myself, I think my mind and preferences changes too much to ever stick to one design. However, I know my boyfriend wants his arms, and maybe his neck covered in tats.

When he'll do this, I don't know.

Candienziia

Registered
Reaction score
I have a treble clef which is also shaped like a violin, with the bow as the center vertical line; it is located on my left rib cage.

Elmvine

Registered
Reaction score
I have a treble clef which is also shaped like a violin, with the bow as the center vertical line; it is located on my left rib cage.

I honestly want to see that. Do you have a picture of the design?

crunchyblanket

the Juggernaut of Imperfection
Registered
Reaction score
I have six:

- a small sun design on my lower abdomen
- two stars on each shoulder, front-facing
- a moogle (FF9 era) on my upper back
- an ice goddess on my right calf
- a half-sleeve featuring a Maneki Neko and a lotus flower, with a backdrop of Japanese-style waves

I'm planning an Alphonse Mucha tribute for my other arm, and a Japanese-inspired backpiece with a kitsune as a focal point.

juniper

Always curious.
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Again, it's a commitment. Until death (or lasers) do you part!

I've been itching for a tattoo for 3+ years but couldn't decide on a design. Or a place.

I think I've finally decided on words - and I think I've decided on the words - and the place - two words stacked over two words, divided by some sort of wavy line

I'm not ready to share the words, but here's the basic design. Probably in black. Not too big.

secret words
~~~~~~~~
secret words

On my left collarbone, where I can see it if I glance down but is not readily visible to others. It's mostly a reminder to myself.

I chose collarbone partly because my weight fluctuates by many many pounds and that seems to be a place where the words wouldn't stretch and shrink too much, or I wouldn't get too wrinkly. I'm to an age where I think about stuff like that.

For tattoo experienced people, is collarbone good for avoiding weight/age changes?

I'm thinking of getting it while my husband's away next month. :) He's somewhat opposed to my having one, but not enough to really care, I think.

Moonpetal

metalsmith and shaman
Registered
Reaction score
What did you get?

I got a replica of a stag from Lascaux Cave (originally painted fairly deep in the cave something like 17000 yrs ago.) It's so elegant. Had it done on my shoulder, near the collarbone (will post a pic after it's done peeling. Ick. If anyone wants to see.)

Your three little hearts sound so lovely!

I have six (so far)--a Celtic dragon on my lower back, a Celtic knot between my shoulder blades, a swirl design on my inside right wrist, Nevermore on my right ankle, Once upon a time on my inner right forearm, and A paper tiger to swallow me whole on my inner left forearm.

Those sound beautiful! What font(s) did you decide on for the quotations?

I have 2 I will not speak of. I got them when I was 16...30years ago.

I'm going for a pic next. I'm covered in word graffiti. I need art. (-;

Will you not speak of the two because you regret them or because they're too personal? You don't have to answer that. I'm just curious. The ones you mention sounds really cool; I like the placement of the one on your avatar. What you mean, a pic next? Like a visual image?

Last edited:

Moonpetal

metalsmith and shaman
Registered
Reaction score
I've no tattoos because I figure you have to be as committed to a tattoo as you would be to a marriage. It's for life. It's maybe even for longer than life, because if you fall into a glacier and get mummified, when they dig you out, you'll still have your tattoos. :)

I could see myself getting one to memorialize an important event, but I've resisted getting the pretty ones I think would look good simply because I know my taste in artwork would change over the decades, and eventually I'll wish I didn't have it. Again, it's a commitment. Until death (or lasers) do you part!

Y'know, this thread is just begging for some photos, folks...

It definitely is a commitment. Otzi the Ice Man had some pretty cool tattoos. Did you know that Brad Pitt has a tattoo of Ice Man on his forearm? Talk about cyclical ink.

My first two tattoos came from dreams. Their symbolism has deepened over the years. So I'd definitely suggest something that has a deep meaning rather than pretty to try to prevent regrets. Though there's nothing wrong with pretty tattoos... sometimes I dream about getting Kat Von D-esque roses on my neck... but it doesn't have a meaning, so not for me in the end.

I second photos.

I have six:

- a small sun design on my lower abdomen
- two stars on each shoulder, front-facing
- a moogle (FF9 era) on my upper back
- an ice goddess on my right calf
- a half-sleeve featuring a Maneki Neko and a lotus flower, with a backdrop of Japanese-style waves

I'm planning an Alphonse Mucha tribute for my other arm, and a Japanese-inspired backpiece with a kitsune as a focal point.

Ooh. I like the sounds of ice goddess. Any photos? And OMG Mucha tribute-- my photo teacher had one on her arm. So, so, so beautiful and flowed really well on the body.

Last edited:

Moonpetal

metalsmith and shaman
Registered
Reaction score
I think I've finally decided on words - and I think I've decided on the words - and the place - two words stacked over two words, divided by some sort of wavy line

For tattoo experienced people, is collarbone good for avoiding weight/age changes? .

The lady I went to said generally places without much fat do well with aging and weight changes. Places like the ankles, lower back. I think the collarbone counts under this category. What sort of font are you considering?

Last edited:

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Will you not speak of the two because you regret them or because they're too personal? You don't have to answer that. I'm just curious. The ones you mention sounds really cool; I like the placement of the one on your avatar. What you mean, a pic next? Like a visual image?

because they are in places that only my wife will ever see. I don't regret anything but hiccups.

crunchyblanket

the Juggernaut of Imperfection
Registered
Reaction score
Ooh. I like the sounds of ice goddess. Any photos? .

I've only got one of the outline - it's been coloured since. I'll get a photo once I've shaved my legs, lol. In the meantime, the lineart:

DSCN9100.jpg

Moonpetal

metalsmith and shaman
Registered
Reaction score
I've only got one of the outline - it's been coloured since. I'll get a photo once I've shaved my legs, lol. In the meantime, the lineart:
Beautiful! Love it. It must be awesome with color, too. Did you design it yourself?

dgrintalis

'Tis true, she is a monstergirl
Registered
Reaction score
Betwixt a nightmare and a veil of shadowy dark
Those sound beautiful! What font(s) did you decide on for the quotations?

Nevermore was done in the tattoo artist's own handwriting - a very lovely and ornate cursive. The two on my arms were done in Vivaldi.

My next tat will be Something wicked this way comes on my right upper arm with some sort of ornamental design around it, but I'm not sure what font yet.

ArcticFox

The Childlike Empress
Registered
Reaction score
Here are mine!

dannietat3.jpg

The Auryn from The Neverending Story. One of my favorite books and movies of all time. It's on my left thigh.

dannietatjrrt.jpg

This is my Tolkien tattoo. It has Gandalf's hat, Narsil, The One Ring, The Eye of Sauron, an arrow, Lothlorien leaf, and a hobbit pipe. The are placed to spell out J.R. R. T. in the shape of his monogram. It's on my right shoulder.

pentagram.bmp

My Wicca design. I designed it myself and had a friend draw it. It's a pentacle made out of roses and then the three phases of the moon: waxing, full, and waning. It also represents the three stages of the Goddess: maiden, mother, crone. It's on my lower back.

I also have a red fox sitting in ivy around my ankle, but I don't have a picture of that one yet. The fox is my totem animal.

My rule was I sat on a tattoo idea for two years. If I still wanted it after two years then I figured I wanted it enough and would get it.

Last edited:

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
... every few months I take a peek in the AW Photo Album thread.
Did that just the other day. There are some pics on the most recent page of a AWer who is heavily tattooed. Legs and all. Looks neat. Worth having a look. Wedding photo of her too with best men and women -- and two pups ^..^
Forget their username. New one to the site. Only a dozen posts or so.
Maybe someone could direct her here.

http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32010&page=73

ps Posters above have got some nice tats too.

AndyD

Registered
Reaction score
Crunchy that is awesome.

I've been intending to get my first for the last few months. Was finally going to last Saturday. Had spoken to an artist and scheduled a time and all that nonsense. But naturally I got jumped Friday night, concussed, and fractured my cheek. So we'll have to put it off for another day. Felt a little bad, completely forgot to cancel with the guy. He called me and was pretty pissed until I explained what happened.

thethinker42

Abnormal Romance Author
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gallagherwitt.com
I have seven. A rose on my left shoulder, a pegasus as a memorial to my horse on my right shoulder, a frog on my right calf, a gryphon on my left calf, and Japanese Kanji on the insides of both wrists ("think" and "dream").

My newest is this one on my right arm (the lizard is my husband's tattoo, the other one is mine), and I'm currently designing the one for my left arm.