The AW Amazon Store
Buy Books by AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: Pen-L Publishing

New Member; Teach Me About Thick Skin! francisbruno's Avatar

Pen-L Publishing

Hi all,
    I have a friend who was offered a contract w/ Pen-L: http://www.pen-l.com. I was wondering if anyone had any experience or knew anything about them.

Some things of concern in the contract he was sent:
    It seems they want pretty much all rights.
    There is no advance.
    They are paying a percentage of "net profits". I'm not sure if they define the costs up front.

I haven't seen the contract, so I apologize for being vague. He is trying to sign into the board, but doesn't have permission yet.

Thanks!
    Francis Bruno

Please check my blog for latest stats on my writing:
    http://www.francisbruno.com

WOTF Q4 V28 Semi Finalist
    WOTF Q1 V29 "Hold" Pile, 'R' eventually
    WOTF Q2 V29 HM
    2011 Uncle Orson's Literary Bootcamp Survivor
    2012 Viable Paradise XVI Graduate

volitare nequeo AW Moderator veinglory's Avatar
    It is clear this is run by the Pennells. Maybe I have a dirty mind but that is not the first think "Pen-L" suggested to me.

The press is new. Their background, to the extent they have one, is in western. And I get the impression markets for westerns are somewhat limited. The books they have out are a typical price for digitally printed large format paperbacks and ebooks. Sales don't seem to be huge.

I can't speak to the contract.
    Emily Veinglory

Homesteader, Author,Nature Liaison MadisonWoods's Avatar
    I can personally vouch for the Pen-L's (it's a play on the spelling of their last name "Pennell"), but I don't have any books submitted to or published by them. They're just friends of mine (real life, not virtual). Their business is new and they don't have a large operating capital, but they are honest folks and are making a committed go at a legitimate startup. I can only assume that carries with it the usual risks. I can't say how willing they are to negotiate their contracts, but it never hurts to dig into such things fairly intensively before signing, regardless of who's doing the offering.
    Madison Woods, writing fiction as Ima Erthwitch
    My first book is First Hunt, book one of the Bounty Hunter Trilogy.

I write in bed.
    I researched this publisher a little while back because they're fairly local to me. I didn't get the impression that they're a vanity press, but my guess is that they're POD and that the marketing will be left almost entirely up to the writer.

There were three local publishers I researched, and of them all Pen-L seemed to be the best, but that's not saying much since I really wasn't impressed with the other two.

Plodding around into things. grizzletoad1's Avatar

Pen-L Publishing

Has anyone had any dealings with Pen-L Publishing? Just looking for any information as to whether or not they are good to deal with or should be avoided.
    Sometimes, stuff happens!
    Check out my website and blog at www.therailroadman.com and like my Facebook Page at The Railroad Man.

practical experience, FTW
    Newish small pub (and seems pretty picky)... I understand the owner has a LE (law enforcement) background (past career - retired?) I haven't read or heard anything negative.

I queried a contemporary crime/police procedural in late June/early July. They ask for a synopsis, the first few - and the last chapter. They acknowledge receipt and caution that they're slow - 90 days or more for a response.

I haven't heard from them since... but then again, I'm still within the 90 days.

Write. Write. Writey Write Write. mrsmig's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ironmikezero View Post
    Newish small pub (and seems pretty picky)... I understand the owner has a LE (law enforcement) background (past career - retired?) I haven't read or heard anything negative.

I queried a contemporary crime/police procedural in late June/early July. They ask for a synopsis, the first few - and the last chapter. They acknowledge receipt and caution that they're slow - 90 days or more for a response.

I haven't heard from them since... but then again, I'm still within the 90 days.

Here's a link: http://www.pen-l.com/books.html

The company's principals are also the force behind this read-for-free Western short story site: http://www.frontiertales.com/index.php

Of the books they've already published, the pricing seems a little high - between $12-$15 for books ranging from about 200-370 pages. Of those available digitally, the prices hit around $5.
    Last edited by mrsmig; 09-14-2013 at 03:31 AM.
    KINGLET: Coming from FIERY SEAS PUBLISHING in August 2017

My Website:
    www.donnamigliaccio.com

And the occasional Tweet.

Pen-L Publishing

Has anyone ever had any dealings with this publisher? I have a query out with them. Any information will be appreciated. Thanks.
    Check out my website and blog at www.therailroadman.com and like my Facebook Page at The Railroad Man.

Never mind. For some reason, the search feature never picked up on Pen-L for a link. It kept telling me there were no matches in the data base, so I just resubmitted a question I posed 3 months ago. I recently traced them on my sub after sending it to them over 90 days ago. Hoping it works out, but if all they are is a POD operation that leaves the marketing up to me, I might as well just self-pub on Create Space and KDP. Better return and I retain my rights.

On a small world west of wonder LindaJeanne's Avatar
    The index sticky at the top of the board is more reliable than the search, thanks to Cao Pax's hard work keeping it that way.
    "A story told, that can't be real / yet somehow must reflect the truth we feel..." -- Black Sabbath / Ronnie James Dio

Thanks. Doesn't matter anyway. Got my rejection from them this afternoon. Oh well. Onward!