What's your hobby?

Helix

socially distancing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
snailseyeview.medium.com
That's a good selection you listed! The common ones in this garden are rainbow lorikeets, sulphur-crested cockatoos, brush turkeys, scrubfowl, bush stone-curlews, honeyeaters of all sorts, silvereyes, red-backed fairywrens, red-browed finches, a few types of doves, willy wagtails, currawongs, butcherbirds, drongos and, of course, kookaburras.

A completely different group of birds lived in the rainforest. I won't list them all because I might end up taking over the thread!

One of the reasons I'm interested in birds is that my city, Pittsburgh, is the location of the US's national aviary, and I usually go there once a year to see all the cool birds. :)

That sounds great. I think that the Pittsburgh collection would have some of the above species on display.

Cougar

Registered
Reaction score
I have several hobbies and I sometimes really think it is impossible to do them all justice due to limited time ;)

My three main hobbies are definitely books, football and traveling. I am currently huge into Murakami, great writer whom I highly recommend. My football team is Arsenal London, and some of my favorite travel destinations include Greece, Portugal and Italy. My last travel to Lisbon was especially great since I was given the trip as a present and it included airport transfer with the BlackLane Limousine service in London. I never traveled that comfortable!

Then there is drawing and the occassional painting, video games, doing sports, watching films, my dog (though he doesn't really count as a hobby I guess), playing chess and collecting historical miniatures.

Of course I also like to go out and meet friends and also to just go out and talk a walk but I guess that's quite basic ;)

Last edited:

GingerSnap

Registered
Reaction score
Sometimes I like to pretend I'm an artist. I know the basics, and when I get in the mood I can draw for hours. Occasionally I'll even try a 3D project. It's a relief after sitting in front of a computer screen for days. ;)

I like learning the Japanese language and culture, too, if that counts.

Teinz

Back at it again.
Registered
Reaction score
I read and write a lot, ofcourse. I love to swim laps and I do a bit of fitness. I play the drums, a bit of guitar and I sing when I think no one will hear me. I like playing games, from Dragon Age to Gears of War. Oh and don't forget my gardening. I love being in the garden.

Slicklines

Registered
Reaction score
Astronomy. Have a tiny mountain house at 10,200 feet (not far from South Park of cartoon fame) so the seeing is excellent. Also travel, hiking, skiing, and birding. So yeah. Sort of a geek-hippy.

April Days

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
Registered
Reaction score
Easier to explain my hobby with photos.

Songwriting, but I only own one guitar (alas!) I also enjoy putting pictures to my band's music, which would normally be called music videos if the pictures were actually moving, but I don't have any equipment, so I guess you'd call them slideshows.

zfk55

Registered
Reaction score
One guitar is all you need, April. All of those instruments except two guitars and three banjos belong to my son. All the bass guitars belong to my daughter. They both grew up in the recording studio here in Lost Prairie.

My guitars are a matching pair of fiddleback Curly Maple original Guild guitars. One a 6 string and one a 12 string. The other 3 are banjos. When I was younger I had a bluegrass band named Sandy Bottom. That's more than 45 years ago now but I still play bluegrass guitar and banjo, or at least as much as arthritis allows.

P

RoseSnow

Registered
Reaction score
I like to paint, draw, and I make candles when the mood strikes.
snowmen-grubby-2.jpg

msforster

easily startled
Registered
Reaction score
Website
msforster.blogspot.com
Easier to explain my hobby with photos.

My husband would approve. Or try to move in. :D

My hobbies used to just be books, Internet, movies/TV shows and writing. But I decided this year that I needed something else to decompress with. So I started doing origami again--purely as a hobby--and that led me to quilling, which I LOVE. It uses a completely different part of my brain than the rest of my life.

Jehhillenberg

N/A
Registered
Reaction score
My hobbies: photography, singing, dancing, film, and TV! :)

TheaFair

Mousy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
theafair.wordpress.com
Well, I'm a year round haunter. Which means I look at things and think, "Hm, that would look really awesome at Halloween if I just modify it a little." Of course "a little" is very, very subjective in this case. I play video games while waiting for things to dry, and lose entire hours of my life on Youtube looking up how-to videos.

sunandshadow

Impractical Fantasy Animal
Registered
Reaction score
Website
home.comcast.net
Songwriting
Do you write the lyrics, the music, or both? Personally I'd love to be a lyricist, but I'm pretty much musically impaired (it's a learning disability kind of thing) so composition isn't ever going to be something I could do very well. I haven't had any luck making friends with a band where someone can compose but no one likes making up lyrics. Probably composition is the more rare of the two skills.

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, so many. . . . Besides watching Jehhillenberg's avatars, I compete in the way-past-70 class of several shooting events: Action steel silhouettes, cowboy competition, silueta metalica, muzzle-loaders at rendezvous.

2yx1.png

bearilou

DenturePunk writer
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
yawping barbarically over the roofs of the world
Hmmm...well, writing is what I want to do for a living so I can't list that as a hobby. Reading? I do read. Sometimes for leisure, sometimes for specific reasons related to writing.

Crochet! I love to crochet and have a stash of yarn that is getting out of control. I also love big action movies. The bigger, flashier, more kaboom-y, the better. And foreign flicks. I love those.

Video games. Huge time sink for sure and I probably shouldn't devote as much time to them as I do....

leela_e

Registered
Reaction score
I have a lot...

I have a lot of hobbies to share, but writing and reading top my list. I find solace writing in a quiet place, embrace with soft music. Hmm, reading anything under the sun keeps me alive as well. Don't get me wrong, but I love children's stories till now - I'm a mum.;)

skydragon

Registered
Reaction score
Apart from writing, I enjoy reading (of course), playing video games, listening to music, photography, make-up and nail art, film, and Japanese culture.