What's your hobby?

Indianasmith

Registered
Reaction score
(This seemed like the best forum for this topic, but if it would fit better somewhere else, mods please feel free to move it to the appropriate spot!)

I'm still trying to get to know folks, and find my way here. I always find it interesting to know what people do outside the main focus of whatever forum it is I am on.

I love collecting Indian arrowheads and other artifacts, and have done so since I was a child. I have a relic room with over 100 frames of arrowheads and spearpoints on the walls, and go to artifact shows pretty frequently.

I also have a lifelong love of B-grade horror films, and get a lot of enjoyment out of those.

I practiced karate for over 20 years and got a third degree black belt, but have been out of it for about five years now.

So what about you guys? What hobbies do you enjoy?

clee984

Bearded and serious
Registered
Reaction score
I'm a bit of a history buff (reading biographies, visiting places of interest etc), and I have a thing about watching films of old boxing matches (which is weird, because I hate violence). I like to kid myself that I'm a cigar connosseur too, but actually, I think the occasional cigar is just because I miss smoking cigarettes.

I learn languages too, I taught myself French, and have got myself to basic level in German.

Bushrat

reaching for the sun
Registered
Reaction score
Stained glass, sewing moccassins, making tinctures and salves with wild medicinal plants ... and outdoorsy stuff like kayaking, hiking and camping. Spending time with my dogs.

Pyekett

I need no hot / Words.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I handcarve netsuke from scraps of hardwood.

Hmmm. I like minimalist camping, cooking over an open fire, and--though this rarely comes in handy--can sight-type over eighty species of North American wild violets, thanks to a stint in wildlife research.

When I cannot stand the world anymore, I watch Fellini and drink scotch. And hey ho, write whodunits. :)

I love collecting Indian arrowheads and other artifacts, and have done so since I was a child. I have a relic room with over 100 frames of arrowheads and spearpoints on the walls, and go to artifact shows pretty frequently.

Have you ever done any flintknapping yourself? I've always wanted to learn.

Pyekett

I need no hot / Words.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
too, I taught myself French, and have got myself to basic level in German.

I've tried to learn languages on my own but have not made anything stick. Any good tips or references?

... making tinctures and salves with wild medicinal plants ...

Also wanted to do this, and also would appreciate any good reference sources. Are you following a text, or winging it, or in apprenticeship?

Reefkeeping

Intrigued. There are so many ways to interpret that. Tongue in cheek, wildlife activism, conservation, etc.

Bushrat

reaching for the sun
Registered
Reaction score
Also wanted to do this, and also would appreciate any good reference sources. Are you following a text, or winging it, or in apprenticeship?

Very easy to learn. The best two books for the northern plants are, IMO:
Discovering wild plants by Janice Schofield
The boreal herbal by Beverly Gray (this has a lot more recipies and more detailed instructions)

Pyekett

I need no hot / Words.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Great, thanks. I have a set of Foxfire but get sidetracked every time I try to use them for something specific. For selecting and preparing plants I'm actually going to expose my body to, I want specific. Real specific.

Added: Sigh. And I promised myself that anytime I mentioned Foxfire, I'd mention this:

Eliot Wigginton, the Georgia school teacher whose students produced "The Foxfire Book," an acclaimed series of journals about their surroundings and local culture, surrendered to the authorities today, one day after pleading guilty to child molestation.

Even Fellini, my escape, had Satyricon. I would really like for people to leave children out of the realm of adult sexuality. [This sounds less angry than I feel. I cannot derail that far, though.]

And now returning you to your regularly scheduled thread.

Last edited:

ap123

Twitching
Registered
Reaction score
Intrigued. There are so many ways to interpret that. Tongue in cheek, wildlife activism, conservation, etc.

:D I keep a nano-sized coral reef tank. Started with a larger system, about 65gallons, downsized to 8.8 gallons now. Smaller is much more difficult to keep stable. Corals, fish, inverts, it's my own little slice of the ocean.

Bushrat

reaching for the sun
Registered
Reaction score
:D I keep a nano-sized coral reef tank. Started with a larger system, about 65gallons, downsized to 8.8 gallons now. Smaller is much more difficult to keep stable. Corals, fish, inverts, it's my own little slice of the ocean.

Wow, that's really cool! What kind of fish do you keep in there?

@ Pyekett - Oh, man ... I know the Foxfire Series. This makes me wish for medieval methods of punishment, as usual when I hear stuff like that.

sunandshadow

Impractical Fantasy Animal
Registered
Reaction score
Website
home.comcast.net
I have too many hobbies, sigh. Aside from reading and writing, I play videogames and am involved in indie video game development. I draw (on paper and with a vector art program on the computer), paint (usually acrylic on canvasboard), do origami, and several other art forms (soapstone carving is often the one people find most interesting). I occasionally watch animation or read graphic novels when I can find something interesting. I garden (not very successfully - this past two weeks I've been cursing about mold on the seedlings I was trying to start indoors). I cook about once a week, and try to do a new recipe every month or two. I'm strictly forbidden from collecting pottery, plushies, glass bottles, horse models, or anything else that takes up space and gets dusty; otherwise I'd probably do that. >.> I do seem to be accumulating a collection of tarot and oracle decks, mainly because I'd like to create one; those aren't against my housemate's rules because they fit compactly on a shelf.

shakeysix

blue eyed floozy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shakey6wordsmith.webs.com
I'm something of a Native American nut. I am interested in all things Cheyenne or Kiowa. No blood ties but a piece of ground we own was a bone of contention between the tribes long before white folks came along. My great grandfather had a cigar box of arrowheads that he found as a boy.

He had some pretty nice fossils too. That hooked me. The arrowheads are gone now but I still like to fossil hunt. I'm not very good at identifying stuff. If something is really interesting I drive it up to the Sternberg Museum in Hays and have the professionals look it over.

If I'm not fossil hunting you can bump into me over at the gardeners of AW site--s6

ap123

Twitching
Registered
Reaction score
Wow, that's really cool! What kind of fish do you keep in there?

At the moment I've only got one fish, a pink streaked wrasse. Excellent for keeping the population of nuisance mini starfish down. Also sexy shrimp, a pom pom crab, and a variety of corals :)

Shakey I've been lurking on the gardener's thread. My daughter and I have been trying to venture into container gardening on our teeny terrace. :)

shakeysix

blue eyed floozy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shakey6wordsmith.webs.com
I had a goldfish. My g-daughter won him at the fair this summer. We named him "July" -- a family custom to name goldfish in the month they were acquired. I really got attached to his smiling face at the breakfast table every morning, but then he went to that giant goldfish pond in the sky last month. Now I am tempted to buy a few more and an aquarium--nothing too complicated. --s6

Indianasmith

Registered
Reaction score
Shakey - the river that I collect artifacts in during the rainy season is full of Cretaceous fossils as well as arrowheads. I have actually excavated six partial mosasaur skeletons and one complete, perfect skull!
Incidentally, if you would ever like to acquire some arrowheads, shoot me a PM. I don't sell personal finds, but I do buy out collections for resale. (and yes, contrary to what some people say, it IS legal!)

AP, reefkeeping sounds neat! A friend of mine is getting into it right now!

ap123

Twitching
Registered
Reaction score
Fish are pretty awesome. They have personalities, many are pretty smart, and they (should) live a long time. Clownfish are like puppies, seriously. I've never been a freshwater gal, but I have reefing friends who also keep cichlid tanks, and others who keep freshwater planted.

Indiana, you're friend will love it, a crazily obsessive and rewarding hobby.

:D

Collecting fossils is so cool, I've never known anyone who's done it.

UndergoingMitosis

Waiting for interphase to start
Registered
Reaction score
I crochet. I've been doing a lot of blankets lately--I'm snuggling with one right now :) Sometimes I knit, but I find it a whole lot more tedious than crochet.

I also write. And read. And watch tons of HGTV.

I swear, I'm not 90.

sunandshadow

Registered
Reaction score
Website
home.comcast.net
Birdwatching --- although I'm not all that good at it!
Have you done the thing where you install a birdbath, hang a hummingbird feeder, hang a suet cone and/or a sunflower seed bell, and plant some zinnias or thistles? Those are the main things people do to attract birds around here. I never had goldfinches until I planted zinnias. I've still never had hummingbirds but the two people I know who maintain feeders see them regularly. The birdbath attracted grackles (blackbirds) which are otherwise very shy. It also attracted a crow though, lol.

Helix

socially distancing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
snailseyeview.medium.com
Have you done the thing where you install a birdbath, hang a hummingbird feeder, hang a suet cone and/or a sunflower seed bell, and plant some zinnias or thistles? Those are the main things people do to attract birds around here. I never had goldfinches until I planted zinnias. I've still never had hummingbirds but the two people I know who maintain feeders see them regularly. The birdbath attracted grackles (blackbirds) which are otherwise very shy. It also attracted a crow though, lol.

I have a few bowls of different depths for birdbaths, which attract a range of local species.

I'm living on a property of about a hectare, which has lots of native trees (planted), so I get nectar feeders and insect eaters, plus the usual generalists. Before this place, I was living on a similar-sized block in the middle of a rainforest. Now, that was pretty interesting!

(I'm in NE Australia.)

John Olexa

Registered
Reaction score
Weightlifting. I use to compete in powerlifting. There is no money involved just trophys, so I called it a hobby. Now I just workout to try and stay in shape. But I must say,by not competing any longer, motivation is hard to come by. LOL

sunandshadow

Registered
Reaction score
Website
home.comcast.net
I have a few bowls of different depths for birdbaths, which attract a range of local species.

I'm living on a property of about a hectare, which has lots of native trees (planted), so I get nectar feeders and insect eaters, plus the usual generalists. Before this place, I was living on a similar-sized block in the middle of a rainforest. Now, that was pretty interesting!

(I'm in NE Australia.)
Oh Australia, I guess you'd have a totally different selection of birds there! Lol, silly me. But wow, living in a rainforest must indeed have been interesting! Trees that work for nectar-feeders are interesting too, I can't think of any local trees that make flowers of that type. My neighborhood is mostly grass, fields of weeds, pine trees, and deciduous trees like oak and maple. So by default we get a lot of lawn-pickers that eat worms, insects, and seeds, and a few that are specialized to eating nuts. Starlings, robins, mockingbirds, bluejays, grackles, sparrows, and an assortment of small finches including goldfinches. Also hawks, crows, mallard ducks, Canada geese, and the ubiquitous urban pigeon. The more rare sightings are lake/river birds like herons and gulls (though they are not rare at all if I actually go to lake Erie), a few types of woodpecker, hummingbirds as I mentioned, red-winged blackbirds, and I once saw an oriole.

One of the reasons I'm interested in birds is that my city, Pittsburgh, is the location of the US's national aviary, and I usually go there once a year to see all the cool birds. :)