• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Aaron Literary Agency (Tom Moore)

mortiis29

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.authorsden.com
Hi everyone,
recently I had an 'agent' say that he wanted to represent me because he thought that me and my work had great potential. He recieved (via email) chapters, synopsis etc and loved it).

He told me that he had made slots in his schedule for me and would begin working with me as soon as I had completed this online 'Lit-Coaching' service that he had suddenly forgot to mention!

Costing me $500-600US, the Lit-Coaching would be done 'on-line', and I would never get to contact Tom Moore by phone or mail, as he worked 'solo online, as I represent the online community of authors'.

Thankfully, I did not go ahead with his offer, but reported him to Preditors & Editors, they had never heard of him, but wanted ALL information about him....

ANYONE with any info on this bastard, get back ASAP.

Scott

pdr

Banned
Reaction score
Does anyone know anything about Tom Moore of Aaron Agency?

I've been hearing from NZ writers about Tom Moore and the Aaron Agency which seems to be a part of a LitCoaching Service.
They seem like a scam to me. Does anyone know anything else I can put on the NZ writers message board warning people away from him?

Here's what one writer said:

I got 'accepted' by an agent calling himself 'TOM MOORE', and working for Aaron Agency.

I was absolutely thrilled,...everything was going absolutely great, then I asked him to phone me, sort a few legalities out etc.

"We don't do phonecalls, we're a completely online agency, supporting writers from all over the world."

I was a little put back by this, but I chose to stick with this guy, as he sounded like he really wanted to represent me.

"Send me the 10,000 words or whatever you have finished of your novel," he said, "and we'll take a look at it."

I applied, emailing him what I had completed of my novel, and waited to hear back from him.

"We have made slots in our schedule to represent you as your agent, yet before we do so, I would like to refer you to a LitCoaching service," he replied in the next email.

A Lit-what?

I didn't know that such things existed, let alone got referred to me by a so-called 'Agent'.

"It will cost $500-600 per 10,000 words," he stated.

Another young writer is involved with the agency too.
Any info gratefully received as NZ writers are vulnerable to scams from these so called agents.

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
I just got a couple of letters from a writer who approached this guy and got the same recommendation.

Where an agent is recommending the same paid service to most or all writers who approach him--especially where representation is conditional on purchasing the service--there's good reason to suspect either a kickback situation (the agent is getting a percentage of the LitCoach's fees) or that the agent and the LitCoach are one and the same (even if they have different business names and addresses). Reputable agents don't routinely suggest paid editing to potential clients.

It sounds to me as if Mr. Moore is taking a leaf from ST Literary Agency's book--"we don't do phonecalls" and "we'll rep you but you have to get a critique first" are both ST techniques.

- Victoria

NicoleJLeBoeuf

a work in progress
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.nicolejleboeuf.com
pdr said:
"Send me the 10,000 words or whatever you have finished of your novel," he said, "and we'll take a look at it."
Or whatever you have finished?

An "agent" encouraging authors to send portions of unfinished novels?

That's what caught my eye even before we got to the lit-coach referrals.

pdr

Banned
Reaction score
Thank you, Victoria.

That's a great help.

May I copy your comments and post them on the New Zealand writers' message board where there are a couple of people involved with Tom Moore?

mortiis29

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.authorsden.com
RE: Tom Moore, Aaron Agency

victoriastrauss said:
I just got a couple of letters from a writer who approached this guy and got the same recommendation.

Where an agent is recommending the same paid service to most or all writers who approach him--especially where representation is conditional on purchasing the service--there's good reason to suspect either a kickback situation (the agent is getting a percentage of the LitCoach's fees) or that the agent and the LitCoach are one and the same (even if they have different business names and addresses). Reputable agents don't routinely suggest paid editing to potential clients.

It sounds to me as if Mr. Moore is taking a leaf from ST Literary Agency's book--"we don't do phonecalls" and "we'll rep you but you have to get a critique first" are both ST techniques.

- Victoria

Well, I am shocked, but certainly not stunned at what I've learnt about Mr. Moore. I think that most people here are correct.

The 'Lit-Coaching' service is most likely to be a kickback to Tom Moore himself, where he is the only one who benefits from the outcome.

I was a wee bit concerned myself when he agreed to see the manuscript in pieces and to represent me after reading a prologue and three chapters.

BUT...

Being a writer of fiction for over 20 years and never having been published before, I was of course, excited, to say the least - even to the point of celebrating.

The whole 'Tom Moore/Lit-Coaching' affair seems to have caused quite a stir on the net and I don't seem to be the only one affected by his 'tom' foolery (pardon the pun!).

The only other suggestions I can think of is putting this man out of 'business' (if there in fact is a business at all).
I'd love to be the one to cause his downfall as he has caused mine (not to mention the overall feeling of loss, rejection and hard work gone down the drain).

Oh, and for people interested,
this is his email:
[email address redacted]

Last edited by a moderator:

batgirl

Writting broad
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bmlgordon.com
I'm not represented or published or anything, so maybe this makes perfect sense to someone who knows more, but the phrase about 'made slots in our schedule to represent you' sounded really odd to me. Do agents arrange their time that way?
-Barbara

mortiis29

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.authorsden.com
Barbara

batgirl said:
I'm not represented or published or anything, so maybe this makes perfect sense to someone who knows more, but the phrase about 'made slots in our schedule to represent you' sounded really odd to me. Do agents arrange their time that way?
-Barbara

Nice thoughts, Barbara!
I thought it was bloody strange when he started to 'slot me' into his schedule, and I wasn't about to hand over a PENNY to the beggar!

pdr

Banned
Reaction score
Oh, good.

Thank you Victoria, your warning is posted along with your website details. Several more people have posted on the NZ board saying they've had contact with Tom Moore. I'll see the details come here and Scott says he's been in touch with Dave. That should keep writers infomed and safe.

pdr

Banned
Reaction score
The same old story.

The writers who have contacted me all say the same thing. They were asked to pay for a Lit Consult service.

Tom Moore of Aaron Agency on-line is just another shark looking for new writers to scam.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score

DaveKuzminski

Preditors & Editors
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
anotherealm.com
victoriastrauss said:
pdr, can you let the writers know that Writer Beware (and I'll bet P&E too) would like documentation, if possible?

- Victoria
You're absolutely right. That's why we wanted more information before we post anything about Tom Moore.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Anyone have further contact with this fellow, perhaps with the name of the "litcoaching" service he was pitching? The WN listing is all that's left, and it now reads he's closed to submissions.