QUILTBAG general thread?

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
That was some bait I let there, doesn't?

The amusing bit is that neither mom nor grandma have heard of that and are weirded out about it.

I hope you and your doctor can figure out something that works for you there.

Also,

the stink of sweat of genitalia and ass

you say that like it's a bad thing.

maxmordon

Penúltimo
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
I hope you and your doctor can figure out something that works for you there.

Me too, I'm trying to love my genitalia more.

you say that like it's a bad thing.

It reminds me too much of how mom's room smelled after she spent some alone time with stepdad... And the whole lot of Oedipal issues that brings up.

maxmordon

Penúltimo
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Good or bad or neutral Oedipal issues?

Can I interested you in a Rei?

She was trying to bond with me in my tween years so she took me to a screening of The End of Evangelion. We left when Shinji started jerking off. She knew I was upset because I sleep in my own bed that night and not with her, something I did until I was 12. (when Stepdad came along...)

So, yeah. A bit of all Oedipal. And that's not even half of it.

maxmordon

Penúltimo
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Am I crossing into the TMI territory? (Everyone else, I mean; I know you don't have such thing, Kuwi :) )

maxmordon

Penúltimo
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Oh my. I wasn't expecting to be nearly so . . . apropos.

As they say, a broken clock strikes right twice a day.

Mmm... I wonder if this gets affected as digital clock become the norm and if we should change proverbs for relevance.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
As they say, a broken clock strikes right twice a day.

Mmm... I wonder if this gets affected as digital clock become the norm and if we should change proverbs for relevance.

Proverbs and idioms have never had to be relevant.

Which annoyed the hell out of me for a long time.

I mean, how am I supposed to know what you mean by "make ends meet" if the phrase is so old that no one knows what it means?

(I'd heard it referred to when a drowning sailor is thrown both ends of a rope, but apparently that's not the real origin either.)

Sometimes even native speakers need to be told "sometimes people will say weird set phrases that don't make any sense, but you have to pretend they do, or they'll think you're weird and autistic."

Rhoda Nightingale

Vampire Junkie
Registered
Reaction score
Quick Google-fu led me to this: World Wide Words: Make Ends Meet

No known explanation, but I like this one--"It’s often said that it’s from bookkeeping, in which the total at the bottom (“end”) of the column of income must at least match that at the bottom of the expenditure column if one is not to be living beyond one’s income "

maxmordon

Penúltimo
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Proverbs and idioms have never had to be relevant.

Which annoyed the hell out of me for a long time.

I mean, how am I supposed to know what you mean by "make ends meet" if the phrase is so old that no one knows what it means?

(I'd heard it referred to when a drowning sailor is thrown both ends of a rope, but apparently that's not the real origin either.)

Sometimes even native speakers need to be told "sometimes people will say weird set phrases that don't make any sense, but you have to pretend they do, or they'll think you're weird and autistic."

Yeah, I was thinking on a short story by Borges about medieval scholars unable to grasp the concept of theater and how, in a more meta-level, all writing presents falsehood. There, the scholars talk how proverbs should be changed every generation or so to keep them relevant and fresh.

maxmordon

Penúltimo
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Quick Google-fu led me to this: World Wide Words: Make Ends Meet

No known explanation, but I like this one--"It’s often said that it’s from bookkeeping, in which the total at the bottom (“end”) of the column of income must at least match that at the bottom of the expenditure column if one is not to be living beyond one’s income "

That reminds me an amusing fact: The traditional sexual roles (Top or Seme & Bottom or Uke) are rendered in Romance languages in accounting terms: Assets (Active) and Liabilities (Pasive). The first time a girl told me she wanted to be with a Passive male I was confused if she refered to bookkeeping or was calling me lazy.

maxmordon

Penúltimo
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
You know, I have never been crowd-motivated. Not in politics nor in anything else. Living in a country were belonging to the wrong political party does you that.

It surprises me how brave and supportive the LGBT community can be. Six months ago, a gay drama premiered in Venezuelan cinemas and it not only became the most watched Venezuelan movie of 2012 but people still go in group to see it on cinema. Truly amazing.

maxmordon

Penúltimo
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Anyway, the point I tried to made before getting distracted was about community. I know there's a LGBT community but my attempts to make contact has been somewhat awkward to both parts involved and then I think, do I need this? And the always classical what my family/friends/classmates/etc. will think if they find out?

slhuang

Inappropriately math-oriented.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.slhuang.com
Anyway, the point I tried to made before getting distracted was about community. I know there's a LGBT community but my attempts to make contact has been somewhat awkward to both parts involved and then I think, do I need this? And the always classical what my family/friends/classmates/etc. will think if they find out?

I'm not sure I understand exactly what you're saying, Max, and whether you're asking for advice at all or just chattin', but if your efforts to get involved with your local LGBT community have felt awkward, maybe you just aren't compatible with the specific people in it? There's nothing that says you'd get along with all queer people everywhere, right?

maxmordon

Penúltimo
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
I'm not sure I understand exactly what you're saying, Max, and whether you're asking for advice at all or just chattin', but if your efforts to get involved with your local LGBT community have felt awkward, maybe you just aren't compatible with the specific people in it? There's nothing that says you'd get along with all queer people everywhere, right?

Just chatting. :)

ION. Today, a professor asked us on our views on gay marriage and over half of the class were against. He then touched how our country was behind on the subject and how he has even met queer people who think same-sex marriage is wrong. :(

He then proceeded to comment he didn't ask on gay adoption because we were not prepared for it.

slhuang

Inappropriately math-oriented.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.slhuang.com
ION. Today, a professor asked us on our views on gay marriage and over half of the class were against. He then touched how our country was behind on the subject and how he has even met queer people who think same-sex marriage is wrong. :(

He then proceeded to comment he didn't ask on gay adoption because we were not prepared for it.

o_O

::boggles::

Sometimes I forget there's a whole horrible world out there that =/= my friends.

That sort of thing is awful to experience. My sympathies.

Chrissy

Bright and Early for the Daily Race
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
thanks lastlittlebird! :Hug2:

I decided I hated that drunkalog so I deleted it.

I need a therapist. :D

Rhoda Nightingale

Vampire Junkie
Registered
Reaction score
*sigh* My mom still occasionally stays REALLY ignorant/stupid/upsetting things without understanding WHY they're ignorant/stupid/upsetting. One such moment occurred last night. Don't want to go into details, but I need to either figure out how to win an argument with someone who intimidates the hell out of me (that being Mom) or perfect my Death Glare to the point where she doesn't. Intimidate the hell out of me, that is.