Two Agents asking for exclusive at the same time....

mbowman

Registered
Reaction score
And I already have it out with 3 other agents.

Don't get me wrong, I'm thrilled, but kind of afraid if I respond to them and tell them I can't grand exclusive, they'll take back their full request.

Is there protocol for this? Its never happened to me before.

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
Be honest. Tell them you've already got three fulls out, so you can't grant an exclusive. Then ask them if they'd like to see it anyway.

Most agents and writers will tell you exclusives are Not Nice anyway, since it ties your hands. Odds are they'll think, "Wow, this manuscript is hot, I better get on it immediately" and ask you to send it along anyway. If they say no, you probably don't want them anyway.

Oh, and congrats!

mayqueen

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I got a request for an exclusive while I was querying last time. You just have to be honest, like Jo said, and tell the agents that others already have it. Chances are, they'll want it anyway. Congrats. : )

Phaeal

Whatever I did, I didn't do it.
Registered
Reaction score
My agent asked for a one day exclusive (yes, he can read that fast), but when I said I was out with seven other agents, he said he'd read it anyway. And offered the day after.

Tell the truth and offer to send the MS on a nonexclusive basis, along with the promise to give the agents reasonable notice before accepting another offer. That's standard professional courtesy, but letting the agents know YOU know it may ease any worries.

And that there's already interest in the novel may tip the scales in your favor.

Deleted member 42

CAGE MATCH!

Two agents enter, one agent leaves . . .

Whatever you do, be upfront with both agents.

mbowman

Registered
Reaction score
Both agents got back to me today. One said "sure, send it along" and the other still wants it as an exclusive.

Well, at least I get to send one out. So yay!

LadyA

Always lurking, never posting...
Registered
Reaction score
Ooh, congratulations! Fingers crossed for you (not that you'll need it, by the look of things :) )

mbowman

Registered
Reaction score
Ooh, congratulations! Fingers crossed for you (not that you'll need it, by the look of things :) )
Thanks! And believe me, I need it--none of the agents that requested have seen any sample pages--I have no idea how they're gonna react when they see my writing!