Aspiring Christian Novelist from Texas here!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Indianasmith

Registered
Reaction score
I just joined the Water Cooler yesterday and am still learning my way around. I am a pastor and schoolteacher, as well as a Navy veteran and a lifelong collector of Indian artifacts, a black belt, and I better leave out how sexy my nostrils are because this is the Christian section of the forum, and I hate to put temptation in the path of my brethren . . . .

Anyhoo, I used to do a good bit of writing in high school and college (two start and failed novels and a bunch of mediocre poetry, as well as some Lovecraftian horror stories that I still think were quite good). Then I got married, had twins, started pastoring, and became a full time Christian schoolteacher.
One thing I enjoyed doing, as many pastors do, is taking on the character of a Biblical person and doing a costumed monologue on occasion. I wrote all those monologues myself, and always enjoyed performing them.
Five or six years ago, I did one in which I played the character of Pontius Pilate, dictating a letter to his scribe (played by a student of mine), reporting the trial and crucifixion of Jesus back to Tiberius Caesar. I enjoyed doing the part, and for some reason it kept coming back to me. What would that report have been like?
Last year, on March 27, I began turning that question into a story, beginning on the Isle of Capri in the modern age. What would happen if that report were suddenly rediscovered? That question is the theme of my novel, which I completed last November. It is called THE TESTIMONIUM, and I am still looking for a publisher. In the meantime, reading Pilate's report made me curious about what kind of man he was, and how he got stationed in Judea - not a desirable posting at the time! So now I am halfway through my second novel. The working title is PILATE'S STORY, but I need to come up with something more punchy than that. I am having fun writing it, but it is a much darker and more violent work than the first one - however, its overall theme is still one of redemption and hope in Christ, even for the worst of us.
Anyway, I am glad to be here and looking forward to getting whatever feedback, commentary, and suggestions any of you want to offer. Have a blessed day!

Gravity

Seen 'em come, seen 'em go
Registered
Reaction score
Once you've heard the truth, everything else is ju
Welcome, Indiana! Your work sounds intriguing.

One very good jumping-off place (if you're possibly considering publishing it), is the Christian Writers Market Guide 2013, edited by Jerry Jenkins. It lists agents and houses in pretty good detail, but anyone you find there you'll want to vet through the websites Preditors (yes, that's the spelling) and Editors, and Writer Beware.

Blessings, and glad to have you here!

Balthynu

Registered
Reaction score
hi Indianasmith,
Best of luck with your work. I find your subject matter intriguing. it can be a difficult one. For a non believer it's simply a fictional tale really but for a believer it's something akin to historical fiction. When its published i'll certainly stump up the dough to read it!

Indianasmith

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks so much! THE TESTIMONIUM is pretty much ready to go to press, if I can just find someone to put it there; PILATE'S STORY should be done this summer.

Lavern08

Sit Down, and Shut Up!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I just joined the Water Cooler yesterday and I better leave out how sexy my nostrils are because this is the Christian section of the forum, and I hate to put temptation in the path of my brethren . . .

Sexy nostrils?

Nope, not tempted at all. :ROFL:

:welcome:

Indianasmith

Registered
Reaction score
OK, then, you can see the photographic proof of this claim in the "new members" thread . . . but don't say I didn't warn you! ;-)

SpiritualFiction

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
I have no doubt that Jesus would LOOOOOOOOVE Christian horror, so long as the good guy wins in the end! ;-)

And by the way, people need to stop saying "damn" and "Jesus" as figurative expressions (not saying anyone here did). Not just from a moralistic standpoint, but also because the over-usage takes the power away/implants negative power possibly, into such words. I personally stopped saying "Jesus" as an "expression".

Indianasmith

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks all! Been out for a week or so, but still intending to stop by periodically. Once my school year ends I will have more time to hang out here and learn the ropes.

Status
Not open for further replies.