Backstory question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coco82

Registered
Reaction score
I've come upon something while writing just now I thought I'd ask for some advice on to get a feel for what others would/have done. One of my POV characters has returned to his base of operations (keep in mind this is a future history book set in the US), an island and is returning to his home to rest before going out again (he's a guerrilla leader) and in his thoughts he's thinking about his home, the island, etc. Now as I was writing this I thought if I was a reader I'd want some backstory how they captured it, somewhat to give a clue since it's in enemy territory. Problem is I don't want to infodump, I don't like it much as a reader and know its reputation as far as writing is concerned. Now what would you do? I wasn't planning on a big flashback at all, but maybe a paragraph that'd give a reader insight into how him and his team captured it.

JFitchett92

Registered
Reaction score
To be honest, I wouldn't feel it entirely necessary. However, if you really wanted to put something in, you could try something like this:

Character returned to his base of operations, a small, rundown apartment hidden deep within enemy lines. The base itself was one of his greatest achievements, as not only was it easy to capture, it was discreet.

Doesn't need a full paragraph, just include it within the description of the base.

This is how I would do it anyways, hope it helps :)

Russell Secord

nearly perfect
Registered
Reaction score
I wouldn't call one paragraph an infodump. If it happens during a lull in the story, the reader may like to have a little background. The main question before dumping info is, does it move the story along? Does it tell us something important about the character or his group? If the reader already knows that the base is in enemy territory, knowing why and how is germane.

If you can, present the information as something besides bare facts, that is, work it into a scene. Maybe a recruit asks why their base is in such a dangerous location, and someone else tells the story... or refuses to, which makes the reader curious. That's one way to make an infodump palatable--manipulate the reader into wanting to know it.

Buffysquirrel

Registered
Reaction score
I'm not convinced. When you go home, do you think about how you bought it, when it was built?

onesecondglance

pretending to be awake
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
I'm not convinced. When you go home, do you think about how you bought it, when it was built?

This is an excellent point. You need to lead into it naturally. We had to completely gut and renovate our house - occasionally I'll see a spot of the weird blue gloss paint that had been there before and it'll remind me of the whole thing. You have to give the character a legit reason to be thinking about that stuff, otherwise like Buffysquirrel points out, it's going to jar.

Coco82

Registered
Reaction score
This is an excellent point. You need to lead into it naturally. We had to completely gut and renovate our house - occasionally I'll see a spot of the weird blue gloss paint that had been there before and it'll remind me of the whole thing. You have to give the character a legit reason to be thinking about that stuff, otherwise like Buffysquirrel points out, it's going to jar.

This is a good point and makes me glad I came here. Here is the intro into what I discussed. I think it gives a good idea, or lead in to the topic being discussed, but I could be wrong. Tell me what you think:

Walking through the door Hobbes could smell an aroma that said only one thing, home. When was the last time they were here he thought, too long. So much of his time, their time, was spent traipsing throughout the Midwest, defying death at every turn, paying off corrupt CRA and UN soldiers, surviving. Little time was spent on Arsenal Island much less in their home resting. If they rested it was in a safe house for a night, if that, letting go and then getting up the next day and continuing the fight. This home was nice though, strategically placed on this island, it allowed them easy access to anywhere in the region. How they captured the island, was a bloody victory.

Crayonz

Tribal Flame Warden Ducky
Registered
Reaction score
This home was nice though, strategically placed on this an island, it allowed them easy access to anywhere in the region. How they captured the island, was a bloody victory.
If you really insist on putting something in there, then the first sentence is enough. The second one only tells the reader that they didn't obtain their base by legal means, which makes it a random fact and not important to the current story. As a reader, I don't care one iota about how they got their home. ;) All I care about is that they have it and what they do with it.

My .02

katci13

creative genie
Registered
Reaction score
Maybe I'm weird. I like a sentence or two of backstory. I personally reminiscence to myself a lot. I don't like to be kept in the dark. If it's interesting and won't take long, I would take a couple sentences to let him reminiscence.

SpiritualFiction

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Interesting, I'm dealing with this exact issue with my project. The way I've been tackling this is to gradually implement pieces of backstory information as the narrative progresses. Don't "dump" everything all at once. Little by little, so the reader finds themself saying "oooooh....I almost forgot I wanted that info" haha

Last edited:

LessonsToLiveBy

Registered
Reaction score
I agree with SpiritualFiction -- add it gradually unless it is critical to understanding who the character is/what the character is going through.

Another idea is to use a story as told in dialogue between two characters. They could be recalling something that happened to them. To avoid it sounding like an info dump, have part of the story illuminate something specific about the characters or their relationship. This moves the story on two fronts.

sknox

Historian of Altearth
Registered
Reaction score
The example you gave doesn't tell us much. It reads more like it was written for you.

Backstory can give us insight into a character. Here is where he suffered a childhood trauma. Here is where he met his current love. Here is where Aunt Beru and Uncle Owen were killed. ;)

Backstory sometimes can advance the plot, though this is harder to do.

But unless your passage does some work, and is vividly written, it's best to take it out. As the author, though, you have a wonderful option. Go ahead and write it. Write a huge backstory. Write and write.

Then cut it and save it in your Backstory.doc file. If you ever need any specific bit, you'll have it. If you never use any of it, at least you scratched the itch!

Coco82

Registered
Reaction score
The example you gave doesn't tell us much. It reads more like it was written for you.

Backstory can give us insight into a character. Here is where he suffered a childhood trauma. Here is where he met his current love. Here is where Aunt Beru and Uncle Owen were killed. ;)

Backstory sometimes can advance the plot, though this is harder to do.

But unless your passage does some work, and is vividly written, it's best to take it out. As the author, though, you have a wonderful option. Go ahead and write it. Write a huge backstory. Write and write.

Then cut it and save it in your Backstory.doc file. If you ever need any specific bit, you'll have it. If you never use any of it, at least you scratched the itch!

I get your point, but I think it doesn't give much because it's not developed. Like I said, it was an issue I encountered while writing it so it by no means is a full description.

I will probably mention it in dialogue w/other characters, but as far as this POV goes he'll be there temporarily, this chapter is transitional in a way, because he'll leave by the end of it (that being said he has to be there to do something, it's not contrived).

bearilou

DenturePunk writer
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
yawping barbarically over the roofs of the world
The thing with backstories? If you're writing it because you're afraid your readers won't 'get him'? It'll come across as infodump almost every time.

Trust your readers to infer what they need to 'get your character' through the story.

So, if you're touching on a backstory, and in doing so, furthering the scene/building the character, then it's not necessarily an infodump.

Buffysquirrel

Registered
Reaction score
At what stage of the novel does this appear? Because it reads very info-dumpy to me.

Coco82

Registered
Reaction score
I'm a little over half way in. This is the first time this setting's been shown though. I don't think I'll do the "infodump " I think it may come up in conversation w/other characters though, one of other POVs is working w/a guy that used to work there that is attached to his and it may come up briefly in conversation.

Debbie V

Mentoring Myself and Others
Registered
Reaction score
I think when he gets there, he's thinking more about resting and relative safety than about how he got the place. It just didn't feel real in that moment. Show the scene and see what back story details fit within that showing.

Status
Not open for further replies.