How to nudge your agent (politely)?

Yāoguài

Strange Monster
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thedaoshichronicles.blogspot.com
I signed with an agent a little over three months ago. At that time, my agent seemed very excited about my book. She said she wanted to read it over again and get back to me with suggestions for revision; she said it would take about two weeks.

About seven weeks later, she wrote to apologize for the delay, and she said she'd start working on those revision suggestions the coming weekend.

It's been another six weeks.

I like this agent. I respect her. I respect her other clients. I have no interest in saying or doing anything that could harm the professional relationship.

But my book's publication is stalled until she gets back to me with those notes. There's just a zero percent chance of a book contract until she starts shopping it around. I'd like to find a way to say hey, let's get started! I'm eager to hear what you have to say.

If I send her an email, how do you think I should phrase it? Should I just send her an update about what I've been working on, the current novel, the website, etc., and not mention the revision notes? Or should I not send an email and just continue waiting?

What would you suggest?

Corinne Duyvis

My New Cat Is Too Big for Shoulders
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.corinneduyvis.com
Definitely e-mail. Honestly, I think this is a long time for a client to wait on notes, both because it's not like you've got anything else going on with her right now, and because she hasn't given you any sort of explanation. Any vaguely reasonably phrased nudge at this point shouldn't endanger your relationship, and if it does, the agent is sketchy as hell, to be honest.

Nudge her. Be pleasant about it, sure, but don't worry about couching it in other updates or anything. This is business.

Susan Coffin

Tell it like it Is
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.strokingthepen.com
Yāoguài,

Congrats on landing an agent. :)

Your agent works for you not the other way around. You have every right to ask for a status in any circumstance. I don't see how asking can harm the professional relationship.

I would send her an email but I wouldn't beat around the bush. I would simply ask what I need to ask.

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

What I do in similar situations (had one this morning) is to say I haven't received the material and please resend if they've sent it.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

heza

Registered
Reaction score
I am neither an agent nor agented....

But in my profession, I spend a lot of time waiting around for other people to give me revision notes on documents. If they're taking too long, I email them with something like...

Hi Bob,

In March, you were preparing to review The Great Instructions for Doing Stuff, but I haven't received your feedback. If you've already sent it, it must have gotten lost en route, so please resend. If you haven't been able to get to the review, yet, please let me know if there's anything I can do to help.

Thanks,
Me

I don't know if something like that is applicable for communicating with an agent, but it works pretty well for corporate writing.

Good luck.

VGeary

Keep calm, write on
Registered
Reaction score
You absolutely should send her an email asking her where your revision notes are. And I think you should be assertive about it too.

While every agent has a different style and way of working, I think that 3 months is a long time to wait to hear back on revision notes. It's not like when you're waiting to hear back on a query or from an agent who hasn't decided to rep you yet. This is a completely different situation and this agent has certain responsibilities to met now, including getting revision notes back to you in a timely manner. Unless she's had a personal or family emergency, there's no reason why she shouldn't have gotten back to you already. You've been quite patient, I think.

Tell her exactly what you said in your post: "hey, let's get started! I'm eager to hear what you have to say." Tell her you're eager to have the book out on submission and you know she is too. Ask for a specific time frame or deadline on when you can expect her notes. Consider giving her a deadline if she isn't willing to commit to something.

I know you respect her and you're excited to work with her, but you deserve an agent representing you who will respond timely and do everything in her power to get your book out on submission quickly and effectively. Otherwise, what's the point in having an agent? An agent/author relationship should, ideally, be one of open communication and mutual respect. You work hard for her; she works hard for you. If there is an imbalance or if you are feeling you can't approach your agent with your honest and valid concerns, then perhaps you may need to reconsider this relationship.

I hope this works out for you. I really do. This whole process can be challenging in so many ways, but don't be afraid to stand up for yourself and your book.

Paul

Banned
Reaction score
Yāoguài;8105222 said:
I signed with an agent a little over three months ago. At that time, my agent seemed very excited about my book. She said she wanted to read it over again and get back to me with suggestions for revision; she said it would take about two weeks.

About seven weeks later, she wrote to apologize for the delay, and she said she'd start working on those revision suggestions the coming weekend.

It's been another six weeks.

I like this agent. I respect her. I respect her other clients. I have no interest in saying or doing anything that could harm the professional relationship.

But my book's publication is stalled until she gets back to me with those notes. There's just a zero percent chance of a book contract until she starts shopping it around. I'd like to find a way to say hey, let's get started! I'm eager to hear what you have to say.

If I send her an email, how do you think I should phrase it? Should I just send her an update about what I've been working on, the current novel, the website, etc., and not mention the revision notes? Or should I not send an email and just continue waiting?

What would you suggest?
A very simple short email is appropriate and will suffice. (like Heza's example)

Personally I think assertive is not appropriate, for this situation.

A short polite email is completely acceptable. Even Ms Snark would have accepted such. (and indeed ranted about advised as much often)