• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Baker's Mark Literary Agency

James M M Baldwin

Caught Somewhere in Time
Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone have information on,
Baker's Mark Literary Agency
Portland, OR

Key personell,
Gretchen Stelter and Bernadette Baker

Clients,
Peter McGarry, Gabriel Boehmer, Lamont Wilkins, Jason Maxfield and Ryan Swanson, Paulette Rees-Denis, Kelly Wallace, Dave Nathan

website,
www.bakersmark.com

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
I've gotten a couple of inquiries about this agency.There's little information on it apart from its annoying website. Both the partners have an educational concentration in writing and publishing, and both appear to have small press publishing experience--which may or may not have given them the skills they need to sell to larger commercial houses. Their client list is very small, but it's interestingly varied. The book projects (which I found listed on Publishers Marketplace) all look viable.

IMO, the jury's out on this one. With hard work, they may succeed--or they may not . At this point, it's impossible to tell.

- Victoria

RitrChick

Rejoining the Butt in Chair Club
Registered
Reaction score
How long did it take you guys to receive your replies? I e-queried on 2/23 and haven't heard anything yet. Of course, techno-paranoia has set in...

Robyn

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.rgporter.net
Not totally sure when I did my equery but it was sometime in April. Received a request for a partial 4/26. Will be curious on the reply from the partial. Sending it out tomorrow.

RitrChick

Rejoining the Butt in Chair Club
Registered
Reaction score
Any news from Baker's Mark yet, Robyn?

I received my partial request today after requerying on 4/30 (see--my techno-paranoia was warranted! :rant: )

Robyn

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.rgporter.net
Not yet.. since the partial went by mail 5/1 they got it a few days later. So its still relatively short span so far. I will soon as I do hear one way or another.

JimmyD1318

THE POPCORN MONSTER!
Registered
Reaction score
Be prepared for a long wait. I sent her a partial in November and didn't hear anything until last month. It was a rejection but a very well written one.

Robyn

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.rgporter.net
Good to know. I'm hopeful they don't wait too long but I'm in no real hurry. Edits coming up for 3rd novel and still having to do promos on my other 2 that are out. So i'll be busy...

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website much improved. Recent sales to Prometheus Books and First Second Books.

Ramblin'Man

Registered
Reaction score
Hey All,

New boy here.
I sent bakers mark a query and got back a, send first hundred pages. That was about a month ago. I haven’t heard anything since

Ramblin'Man

Reaction score
Baker's Mark

Man, i queried Baker's Mark and got a partial request about ten minutes later. I must have caught Bernadette when she was checking her e-mail. I sent out a partial about a week later and still have not heard back. It's been a month and a half. Boy do they take their time. However, I don't really have high hopes about them because they don't seem extremely established yet! Who knows...I'll see what I can get and not stick my nose up.

MsGneiss

Registered
Reaction score
I received a request for a 100 page partial to be sent by post mail (how primitive) about a day after sending an email query. I am skeptical about this agency, but like many of you out there, I'll take what I can get. Any first hand experience with these folks would be greatly appreciated.

LostKitten

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.salleyashley.com
Well I've found this thread for the same reason a lot of you have I suppose. From the research I've done on Baker's Mark it seems like a legit agency--fairly new, but legit. I found them through writersmarket.com and I looked them up on preditors & editors before I considered sending a query in.

My initial query was replied to in a day via Email with a request for my manuscript, abiding by the guidelines on their website I replied with an excerpt from my book. Exactly one month from that date I recieved an additional request for five chapters, a cover letter, and SASE to be mailed to the P.O. Box.

I will be sending what's requested out tomorrow and seeing as I've come across this thread in attempting to verify Baker's Mark once more before doing so, I'll come back here to let you all know the outcome.

Additionally, I thought I'd leave you all with this: Agent Advice: Bernadette Baker of Baker's Mark Literary (an interview with Bernadette)

PubGrad09

Registered
Reaction score
I thought I'd pop on here to give you all a little info about Baker's Mark. I interned with them and I can assure you that they are a very legitimate up and coming literary agency. They are rather small and new, but they are quickly developing an excellent client list. They focus on graphic novels, though original and quality fiction and nonfiction is always appreciated. I think you will see a lot more from them in 2009 as several of their books are going to hit the market and it is very possible that with more of their represented work out there, their visibility will improve.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Their PM page is certainly showing more than it did. Thanks for stopping by!

redlady1

Registered
Reaction score
I got a request for a partial around the end of November. I'm still waiting to hear back but their website says 4-6 weeks so I'm still within that window.

redlady1

Registered
Reaction score
She got back to me in a rejection form. Sad day! But the stationary is very nice. *grin* And on to the next one!