AW Amazon Store

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 1 of 19 123456711 ... LastLast

Thread: Baker's Mark Literary Agency

Caught Somewhere in Time James M M Baldwin's Avatar

Question Baker's Mark Literary Agency

Does anyone have information on,
    Baker's Mark Literary Agency
    Portland, OR

Key personell,
    Gretchen Stelter and Bernadette Baker

Clients,
    Peter McGarry, Gabriel Boehmer, Lamont Wilkins, Jason Maxfield and Ryan Swanson, Paulette Rees-Denis, Kelly Wallace, Dave Nathan

website,
    www.bakersmark.com

James M M Baldwin
    Connect on Facebook, Smashwords, and Amazon
    You can also find me at iTune, Barnes and Noble, Sony, Diesel, Kobo, and others.

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    Well, one of their clients has a book coming out in Sept 2006. http://www.cityofreaders.com/index.php Looks like a no-agent-req'd small press, though. I'd get a list of their sales before querying.
    ICAO
    ---------

Censorship always defeats its own purpose, for it creates in the end the kind of society that is incapable of exercising real discretion. -- Henry Steele Commager
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

Writer Beware Goddess Absolute Sage victoriastrauss's Avatar
    I've gotten a couple of inquiries about this agency.There's little information on it apart from its annoying website. Both the partners have an educational concentration in writing and publishing, and both appear to have small press publishing experience--which may or may not have given them the skills they need to sell to larger commercial houses. Their client list is very small, but it's interestingly varied. The book projects (which I found listed on Publishers Marketplace) all look viable.

IMO, the jury's out on this one. With hard work, they may succeed--or they may not . At this point, it's impossible to tell.

- Victoria

practical experience, FTW Robyn's Avatar
    I actually just received a request for a partial from them. I may send it out and see what happens.

My heart's a battleground Mystic Blossom's Avatar
    Sent them an e-query, received a polite form rejection.

Rejoining the Butt in Chair Club RitrChick's Avatar
    How long did it take you guys to receive your replies? I e-queried on 2/23 and haven't heard anything yet. Of course, techno-paranoia has set in...

Not totally sure when I did my equery but it was sometime in April. Received a request for a partial 4/26. Will be curious on the reply from the partial. Sending it out tomorrow.

Best wishes on that partial, Robyn!

Any news from Baker's Mark yet, Robyn?

I received my partial request today after requerying on 4/30 (see--my techno-paranoia was warranted! )
    Write as if your DREAMS depended on it--because they do!

Not yet.. since the partial went by mail 5/1 they got it a few days later. So its still relatively short span so far. I will soon as I do hear one way or another.

THE POPCORN MONSTER! JimmyD1318's Avatar
    Be prepared for a long wait. I sent her a partial in November and didn't hear anything until last month. It was a rejection but a very well written one.

Good to know. I'm hopeful they don't wait too long but I'm in no real hurry. Edits coming up for 3rd novel and still having to do promos on my other 2 that are out. So i'll be busy...

Website much improved. Recent sales to Prometheus Books and First Second Books.
    ICAO
    ---------

Censorship always defeats its own purpose, for it creates in the end the kind of society that is incapable of exercising real discretion. -- Henry Steele Commager
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

Thumbs up

Hey All,

New boy here.
    I sent bakers mark a query and got back a, send first hundred pages. That was about a month ago. I haven’t heard anything since

Ramblin'Man

In the wilds of Texas. Actually, the liberal oasis of Austin.
    Anyone have any new experiences with, or knowledge about, this agency?
    Many thanks,
    Mark

Baker's Mark

Man, i queried Baker's Mark and got a partial request about ten minutes later. I must have caught Bernadette when she was checking her e-mail. I sent out a partial about a week later and still have not heard back. It's been a month and a half. Boy do they take their time. However, I don't really have high hopes about them because they don't seem extremely established yet! Who knows...I'll see what I can get and not stick my nose up.

Halfway between here and there Maui Author's Avatar
    Does anyone have any experience on how long they take to respond to a partial?

Thanks!
    Brick walls are there for a reason. The brick walls are not there to keep us out. The brick walls are there to show how badly we want something. Because the brick walls are there to stop the people who donít want something badly enough. They are there to keep out the other people.
    - Randy Pausch

Halfway between here and there Maui Author's Avatar
    Update on response time - a little over two months. Just got my partial back in the mail with a form rejection.
    Brick walls are there for a reason. The brick walls are not there to keep us out. The brick walls are there to show how badly we want something. Because the brick walls are there to stop the people who donít want something badly enough. They are there to keep out the other people.
    - Randy Pausch

practical experience, FTW
    I received a request for a 100 page partial to be sent by post mail (how primitive) about a day after sending an email query. I am skeptical about this agency, but like many of you out there, I'll take what I can get. Any first hand experience with these folks would be greatly appreciated.

Writer Beware Goddess Absolute Sage victoriastrauss's Avatar
    Unless they are a really tiny agency (hard to determine from the website, which doesn't have a client list), their track record seems a bit thin.

They also have a Publishers Marketplace page.

- Victoria

Well I've found this thread for the same reason a lot of you have I suppose. From the research I've done on Baker's Mark it seems like a legit agency--fairly new, but legit. I found them through writersmarket.com and I looked them up on preditors & editors before I considered sending a query in.

My initial query was replied to in a day via Email with a request for my manuscript, abiding by the guidelines on their website I replied with an excerpt from my book. Exactly one month from that date I recieved an additional request for five chapters, a cover letter, and SASE to be mailed to the P.O. Box.

I will be sending what's requested out tomorrow and seeing as I've come across this thread in attempting to verify Baker's Mark once more before doing so, I'll come back here to let you all know the outcome.

Additionally, I thought I'd leave you all with this: Agent Advice: Bernadette Baker of Baker's Mark Literary (an interview with Bernadette)

I thought I'd pop on here to give you all a little info about Baker's Mark. I interned with them and I can assure you that they are a very legitimate up and coming literary agency. They are rather small and new, but they are quickly developing an excellent client list. They focus on graphic novels, though original and quality fiction and nonfiction is always appreciated. I think you will see a lot more from them in 2009 as several of their books are going to hit the market and it is very possible that with more of their represented work out there, their visibility will improve.

Their PM page is certainly showing more than it did. Thanks for stopping by!
    ICAO
    ---------

figuring it all out
    I got a request for a partial around the end of November. I'm still waiting to hear back but their website says 4-6 weeks so I'm still within that window.

figuring it all out
    She got back to me in a rejection form. Sad day! But the stationary is very nice. *grin* And on to the next one!
    http://redqueen1.livejournal.com/
    http://twitter.com/katee_robert

Hunter of the Dead: Query-go-round
    Queen of Swords: Rewrite

Page 1 of 19 123456711 ... LastLast