OPen Office

Status
Not open for further replies.

WriterTrek

Boldy Writing
Registered
Reaction score
I've used Open Office and put it on a few other computers for people. It's a solid free option that does most of what Microsoft Office does. I find it fairly intuitive.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Open Office is pretty close to Word 2003 in terms of function and layout. You can set it to save documents in .doc format automatically, and move back and forth between Word and Open Office with no problem.

The only issue I've had is with comments. When I add comments in Word, then open the document in Open Office, all comments are the first comment I made. Knowing this, there are other ways to add feedback other than commenting or tracking changes. (I tend to use brackets and/or colored text.)

Maryn, good at the work-around

freedda

Registered
Reaction score
My version of OO is a bit old, but I've always liked it as a good alternative to Word/MS Office which we use at work.

One feature my older version didn't have (and maybe the newer one does?) is the ability to recognize special characters such as paragraphs and tabs when using the find and replace feature.

direndria2

Registered
Reaction score
Well... I'm cheap. Being as Open Office is a free option, this appeals to my pocketbook. I have had no problem with functionality issues, and I edited my wife's MS (typed in Word) using Open Office and there was nothing lost transferring between the two.

Status
Not open for further replies.