Status
Not open for further replies.

gcsalamon

Gina
Registered
Reaction score
Website
gcsalamon.blogspot.com
So! What's everyone working on? I'm doing edits on my female bodyguard story.

By the way- very nice cover Selma! Checked out your blog, too, and your books sound like my kind of read.

I'm currently editing a book I thought I was done with (at least until a publisher/agent picks it up). I decided to increase the pace a little in the first bit of chapters by adding another murder attempt on the main character, which, of course, means more small changes throughout.

I've become very familiar with the saying: Revise, revise, and revise again!

SelmaW

Follow your heart; take your brain
Registered
Reaction score
By the way- very nice cover Selma! Checked out your blog, too, and your books sound like my kind of read.

I'm currently editing a book I thought I was done with (at least until a publisher/agent picks it up). I decided to increase the pace a little in the first bit of chapters by adding another murder attempt on the main character, which, of course, means more small changes throughout.

I've become very familiar with the saying: Revise, revise, and revise again!

Aww thank you! :D

Yes... revisions are like a whirligig carousel with a battery that won't die.

Calle Jay

Romance Novelist & Freelance Editor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.callejbrookes.com
I'm currently in the researching/drafting stage of my next PAVAD romance (FBI team). I know the story that I want to tell, but it's heavy on forensic pathology details so I'm going slower than I normally do during the drafting phase. It's a story I've had in the back of my mind since '09, so I'm excited to write it and see how it unfolds.

I've also started the planning of the next book in the same series, working on developing the characters and such.

When not doing that I'm working on three other projects in the works.

SelmaW

Registered
Reaction score
Silver - No shame in that. If the frustration is outweighing the joy, a breather might help things even out again.

Calle - You sound like a busy bee! The forensic pathology stuff sounds interesting, but yeah, I'm sure it's very detail-oriented. Doing executive protection research was difficult for the opposite reason: it's surprisingly difficult to find a wealth of information on the technicalities. It can be done, but it takes sifting.

gcsalamon

Gina
Registered
Reaction score
Website
gcsalamon.blogspot.com
Speaking of breaks, I'm just coming off four weeks of nothing new on my current WIP. The only writing I did during that time was working on my query and synopsis for "Sleepless" book one of a new series - which is the MS I'm now revising. I'm hoping to get back to book two "Visual Contact" by next week.

But, I must say the break was NOT pleasant. I couldn't stop thinking about the story I should have been working on, and the fact that I wasn't writing!

I'd like to take this opportunity to introduce myself - or more specifically my writing.

I write pretty much strictly contemporary romantic-suspense, or what could also be categorized as mystery/suspense/thriller. And, unintentionally, I seem to find aspects of the paranormal creeping into every story.

The series I am working on at present (mentioned above) I'm calling: Paranormal Crime Solving Mysteries.

I would (very very humbly) compare my writing/stories to those of Jayne Ann Krentz, Julie Garwood, Karen Robards, or (I wish) Sandra Brown's thrillers.

I'd like to know about the rest of you and how you would describe your general writing genre.

Calle Jay

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.callejbrookes.com
I know what you all mean--I accidentally deleted my Nano book (53000 words!) the first week of Dec. and it was completely gone. Nothing I tried found it. After that little set-back, I couldn't write for weeks. Looking back, I think I needed the break, but it was not a pleasant time for me at all!

Now I'm back writing on a daily basis, forcing myself to get out 500 words. Before Dec. I could easily shoot out 2K in a couple of hours! I'm hoping to build back up to those numbers soon!

Silver-Midnight

Registered
Reaction score
rising from the depths of a cup of coffee
I think you'll get your wordage back, Calle Jay. :D

And, gsc, the last time I took a break, I did the exact same thing. All I could think about was writing. But not because I felt I had to write or I wanted to write, I felt I should be writing. So, now, I'm taking another break. Because my brain is just completely fried right now I think. I hope I can actually enjoy this break and my brain will have time to think and relax and all of that.

SelmaW

Registered
Reaction score
o.0 That is my worst nightmare, Calle Jay. I lost 20k once and it was pretty hard to get over.

gingerwoman

Registered
Reaction score
All I have is an old desk top PC but I save every paragraph in three different places including two memory sticks. When I got a virus and lost everything I was fine because 90% was on memory sticks. (The other ten percent I lost were ebooks that I'd forgotten to back to memory sticks. I just read ebooks on free ebook reader on my desk top.)But I didn't lose any of my manuscript even though everything on my hard drive was wiped.

gcsalamon

Gina
Registered
Reaction score
Website
gcsalamon.blogspot.com
Okay, since we're discussing suspense here, I need some help on a scene. I'm collecting opinions and I'll go with the average. To move or not to move - this is the question:

You're driving down a dirt road in the middle of no where. You're alone in the car, except for your trusty German Shepard, who, of course, is in the car with you. Your friend, who happens to be a deputy sheriff, just left and is maybe two minutes ahead of you.

A shot rings out - your windshield shatters - the bullet misses you by inches. (I've skipped some but the rest isn't important)

Naturally, your initial reaction is shock. Your dog goes nuts, you grab a hold of him - hug him to your chest and duck down. Pull your cell out of your pocket and call your friend back to the scene.

OR

In shock or not - and your dog going nuts or not - never mind the shattered windshield - you step on the gas and get the hell out of there.

Which scenario would you choose?

Calle Jay

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.callejbrookes.com
I'd hightail it out of there, too. Because what if the shooter is still around? And he's good enough to hit my windshield when I'm most likely already going 60mph? You bet I'm getting out of there (probably going fast enough to overtake my sheriff buddy!)

MsLaylaCakes

Playing the waiting game
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.taraquan.com
When I got some basic security awareness training, I was taught the natural reaction of most people (who have not taken some sort of personal awareness course) is to floor the brakes and freeze. This would be the absolute wrong reaction because the best thing to do is keep your eyes on the road and drive away as fast as you can (preferably in reverse, until it is safe to do a Y turn).

Since I only took that course for a week, and I only practiced the whole reverse/Y turn thing a few times, my bet would be that natural instincts will take over and I'd freeze (and most likely die/get captured) :p

Silver-Midnight

Registered
Reaction score
I agree with everyone else basically. :D

--

Hey, guys, quick advice. I'm still on a writing break. But I still wanted to ask this.

One plot line, for Suspense or Thriller anyway, I like a lot is the "person-who-turns-out-to-be-actually-crazy" (think Fatal Attraction, Single White Female, and A Thin Line Between Love and Hate). And while I do still like this plot line a lot, it can also get old to write over and over. I'm trying to come up with other ideas for Suspense/Thrillers. But I just can't.

I think it might be because with these, most of the time, the main character figures out who the "bad guy" is a little bit easier maybe, provided they don't know it's them in the beginning. And my main issue or fear when it comes to M/T/S is proving that the person who did it, well, did it, without it being something completely out of left field naturally.

So, do you know of any other scenarios in which the main character(or one of them anyway) would know that the bad guy was the bad guy without needing complete, like 100% clues? You know what I mean.

And if not, and this may even still apply if the MC knows the killer, do you have any tips for laying down clues?

Those two things are like the hardest for me to pick up on and write. I have read Romantic Suspense and Suspense, Mystery, and Thrillers. Those two things end up affecting me the most. I think so far.

SelmaW

Registered
Reaction score
Absolutely agree with Layla and the rest of you too. Most untrained people's reaction will be to freeze - actually, most trained people will freeze too, but the difference is they'll snap out of it. You'd want to hightail it out of there, though.

Silver, have you tried going through books and reading like a writer - you know, highlighting lines where you see authors dropping clues that become significant later, etc? That might help.

Princess Marina

Princess Marina
Registered
Reaction score
I write Regency Romances. I don't think they're very big on suspense so far, but it's a concept i could learn. So long as no one minds me writing in archaic language and having no forensic investigators. So Yes, I think it's a good idea and please keep me in the loop.

gcsalamon

Gina
Registered
Reaction score
Website
gcsalamon.blogspot.com
Thank you everyone for your votes. I'll incorporate her fleeing the scene.

Now to answer Silver, I've pulled up a little info that might help you get some ideas.

Top motives for murder:

11. Hate Crime (religious, racial, etc)
10. Robbery
9. Murder-for-hire (hitman)
8. Thrill Killing
7. Mob Contract
6. Gang Vengeance
7. Jealousy
6. Crime of Passion
5. Initiation
4. Obsession (Fantasy)
3. Revenge
2. Mental Illness
1. Money (most common: insurance policy)

Also:

1. Anger
2. Copy-cat (possibly to break the original record)
3. The "need" to be "noticed" (believe it or not, many cases are caused by
a motive of attention by an outcast).
4. Unplanned murder during a current crime that was not well planned
(i.e. a serial rapist turns into a murderer when the victim sees his face
before she can be blindfolded)
5. Drug deal gone wrong (one of the biggest reasons now, actually)
6. Elimination (victim knew too much)
7. "Urge to kill"...always had an urge (could also be linked to mental illness)

As for ways to set out clues, unfortunately, I'm not even sure how to explain it. I can tell you that for myself, I pretty much started by doing exactly what Selma suggested: I went back and read a few books that I knew had what I was looking for, but this time I read them as a writer, watching for and noting when the writer did just that.

How did she work those clues in without it being obvious either to the MC or the reader?

While I plot/write I lay a trail of bread crumbs. My goal is to make sure the crumbs are rarely right in front of my MC's face, but at the same time, not so subtle as to be missed completely. By the time my MC has reached the end of the trail, they should have all they need to identify the baker.

Do you remember all the little (subtle) clues set out in Back to the Future? All the little items that were placed in the background in and around Marty? I get a real kick out of re-watching that movie just for the purpose of looking for all those little things. It's a lot of fun to note how the writer/director managed it.

Silver-Midnight

Registered
Reaction score

Silver-Midnight

Registered
Reaction score

Ann_Mayburn

Smutty McTitters
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annmayburn.com
I love the tropes page. :) If nothing else it's good for jogging a story along if I get stuck on some plot point. Gives me alot of 'oh, duh, why didn't I think of that' moments.

Silver-Midnight

Registered
Reaction score
I love the tropes page. :) If nothing else it's good for jogging a story along if I get stuck on some plot point. Gives me alot of 'oh, duh, why didn't I think of that' moments.
It does seem very useful, especially for someone like me who can use the same plot/death over and over again quite easily. Haha.

ETA: Okay, one more TV Tropes links.

Here's one for Romance Novel Plot Tropes:

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/RomanceNovelPlots

ETA 2: Okay, now this is the real last one:

Motivations for characters, just to add to what Gina said. (Thanks again for those Gina; really helpful.)

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/MotivationIndex

Last edited:

SelmaW

Registered
Reaction score
Wow Gina, nice job! Those are some great comprehensive lists that really break things down into their simplest forms. Kudos to you.

*steals everything away, like a thief! muahahahaha I shall never be apprehended! I know too much!*

Status
Not open for further replies.