DRM everywhere but SmashWords for same eBook?

Status
Not open for further replies.

evilrooster

Wicked chicken
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sunpig.com
One thing that slowed everything down was waiting for the hardware to arrive. Do you recall the Palm Pilot? Books from major publishers were available for the Palm for years and years.

I'm assuming you don't recall the Palm. So here's how to simulate the experience: Take a 3x5 index card. Cut out a 2x2 square hole in that card. Now read a standard paperback book through that hole, holding the card flat against the page. That isn't really a true simulation: the readability of the text would be too high. But it will give you an idea.

I think you're being unfair to the PalmPilot, Jim. I had one for years, and read any number of books on it. It was perfectly usable, and I missed it from the time mine broke (after they were no longer a viable platform anyway) until I got an iPhone.

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
Experiences differ. I really hated reading stuff on the Palm.

The point remains, though, that major publishers were putting out their books in electronic formats long before the current crop of tablets came along.

Last edited:

Deleted member 42

I think you're being unfair to the PalmPilot, Jim. I had one for years, and read any number of books on it. It was perfectly usable, and I missed it from the time mine broke (after they were no longer a viable platform anyway) until I got an iPhone.

I liked both of mine, too, and am quite happy with the iPhone 4 screen, when I'm not reading on an iPad.

I'm not a kindle fan; I know many are, but my vision is such that the backlit screen is a good thing.

Arpeggio

Registered
Reaction score
This thread has developed since I started it. I read some of it and agree with Old Hack (from what parts I read of the long debate).

Without the copyright industry (authors, software creators, musicians, film makers etc.) then.....Computers, binded paper, Stereo systems, Televisions, iPads and other computer tablets, CD's, cassette tapes and LP's.....would have been expensive door stops and paper weights with some freebees (on a computer: solitaire, maybe chess too) and spam adverts. Hardly anyone would buy one. Would you buy a computer or iPad if there was no software available for it?

I agree with DRM, if you don't then you don't I wont try to change your mind. I would only be able to debate the implementation of it.

Amadan

Banned
Reaction score
Without the copyright industry (authors, software creators, musicians, film makers etc.) then.....Computers, binded paper, Stereo systems, Televisions, iPads and other computer tablets, CD's, cassette tapes and LP's.....would have been expensive door stops and paper weights with some freebees (on a computer: solitaire, maybe chess too) and spam adverts. Hardly anyone would buy one. Would you buy a computer or iPad if there was no software available for it?

I agree with DRM, if you don't then you don't I wont try to change your mind. I would only be able to debate the implementation of it.

Being opposed to DRM is not the same thing as being opposed to copyright.

Arpeggio

Registered
Reaction score
Being opposed to DRM is not the same thing as being opposed to copyright.

It might be interpreted that that is what I was saying, but I mean I agree with DRM because I support copyright.

Amadan

Banned
Reaction score
It might be interpreted that that is what I was saying, but I mean I agree with DRM because I support copyright.

That implies that people who don't agree with DRM don't support copyright.

You agree with DRM because you believe (incorrectly, IMO) that it protects copyright.

Arpeggio

Registered
Reaction score
That implies that people who don't agree with DRM don't support copyright.

You agree with DRM because you believe (incorrectly, IMO) that it protects copyright.

There's nothing that can be said on this subject that hasn't been said in the past.

Instead it should be asked how would those who are opposed to DRM ensure that authors will not lose compensation for their works if there are no mechanisms to prevent someone from simply digitally copying it (on the basis that although DRM isn't 100% secure, most customers aren't trying to break it then pass it on for free or post it on the internet.)

Amadan

Banned
Reaction score
There's nothing that can be said on this subject that hasn't been said in the past.

Instead it should be asked how would those who are opposed to DRM ensure that authors will not lose compensation for their works if there are no mechanisms to prevent someone from simply digitally copying it (on the basis that although DRM isn't 100% secure, most customers aren't trying to break it then pass it on for free or post it on the internet.)

You're right, there's nothing that can be said on this subject that hasn't been said in the past, including that question and its numerous rebuttals.

Deleted member 42

There's no mechanism now, including DRM that prevents that.

There never has been.

Status
Not open for further replies.