Odd Request

popmuze

Last of a Dying Breed
Registered
Reaction score
I know you should always do whatever an agent asks, especially if they're requesting your manuscript. But recently I got a request for a Word file as well as a hard copy of my full manuscript. I sent the Word file immediately. Now I feel like by the time I get the Word file copied and sent out, they'll have probably rejected the manuscript after reading three pages and I'll be out $40.
Do you think I'll do irreparable damage to my chances if I never send the Word file? Or should I just follow orders.
Plus, why would they ask for a Word file and a hard copy in the first place. Can't they print out the hard copy themselves? Is this the kind of agent I want, anyway, who would do this?

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

Hard copy is easier to work on for editing. Why they want it at this point, I couldn't say, but I'd go ahead and send it.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

Witch_turtle

hanging around for a spell
Registered
Reaction score
Maybe send the hard copy with a SASE, so that if they do reject it they can send it back to you and you can use it if someone else asks you for a hard copy later on?

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
You could ask the agent for clarification.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
I've only ever had one agent request this, and it was because they had once been an editor (actually requested the MS in a 3-ring binder) and still liked to read old-school with pen in hand.

You might be able to send it media rate mail or with a "flat rate" box/envelope if you're in the US - those are often cheaper than 1st class.

thothguard51

A Gentleman of a refined age...
Registered
Reaction score
1 ream of paper, about $10.
1 black printer cartridge, about $30.
Sending USPS, about $10.

Yes, I would ask for clarification on why the hard copy is needed.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Well, you should have waited and sent both at once, but as it is, you should probably ask if the agent still needs it. She well might because it may be the hardcopy she wants to read.

MandyHubbard

Once Upon a Time....
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.MandyHubbard.com
1 ream of paper, about $10.
1 black printer cartridge, about $30.
Sending USPS, about $10.

Yes, I would ask for clarification on why the hard copy is needed.

I use kinkos/fedex for printing/mailing as an agent, for the rare editor who needs it. Upload it online and send it off. Yeah, it's a little pricey (probably a little under what you listed above), but I dont have to print it myself or go to the post office.