Local Magazine Confuses First-time Freelancer

Witch_turtle

hanging around for a spell
Registered
Reaction score
Hi! I searched the forum but couldn't find anything specific enough to clear up my uncertainty so here I am :)

A couple of weeks ago I submitted a writing sample to a local e-magazine which started up about a year ago, the creators of which are about to begin publishing a print version. They e-mailed back today with interest, but their first question was if I would be willing to contribute on a voluntary basis, or if I am only looking for paid assignments. They then asked what rate I charge per word and how often I would be able to contribute.

First off, I am a complete newbie. Obviously I would prefer to be paid, but I would really like to get some experience/get my name out there. I have no idea how much money to ask for, but I suspect they won't be willing/able to pay a whole lot. I'm also uncertain how to gauge how often I'll be able to contribute, because despite my actual excellence when it comes to getting things done, I have irrational, nightmarish visions of writer's block every time I think about deadlines.

Secondly, I went searching around their newly-redesigned website (which wasn't yet up and running when I subbed), and on their "contribute" page, they state that writing positions are not paid--so why ask me what rate I charge? Are they just hoping I'll offer to do the voluntary thing and submit freelance articles for free?

Thanks in advance for any advice. Due to my looming graduation from university this spring and my recently-begun efforts to break into writing for money, I'm feeling a bit constantly-nervous!

Melina

Getting better all the time
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.atozwordsmith.com
Maybe just be frank about your newb-ness, and tell them that although you would prefer paid work, you would like to build your portfolio and would consider this first article for free. If they like your work, perhaps they'd consider paying for subsequent articles. The rate you charge should take into account how much work you have to do to write a terrific article: word count, how many sources you have to interview, your travel expenses, how many hours you actually put in, etc.

After you get a few clips under your belt, you really shouldn't work for free, unless it's for a super popular publication that would bring you tons of work by virtue of having that clip, or for a charity or some cause you feel strongly about.

Witch_turtle

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the response Melina. Wise advice, it never occurred to me to offer to "work my way up," so to speak, from voluntary to paid. Maybe doing so would give me a better idea of how much effort each article would take, too.

Susie

Thanks, special friend for my avi!
Registered
Reaction score
Hey,WT, :welcome: to the cooler. When I first started out writing for publication, I would submit to publications that weren't paying, just to get my feet wet, but I would always ask for a complimentary copy where my piece was accepted. This way, at least you can enjoy seeing it in print. Like Melina said from then on, getting paid for your work is always the way to go. :)

Rennet

Registered
Reaction score
You should only write for free if you have absolutely no clips. And even then just a piece or two to get clips. I've been doing this just 3 months now, and everybody pays. Even when I had nothing for clips, they paid something.

Melina's point is valid that you should sacrifice to get your name out there. But I can't think of a publication that both does not pay writers and offers them decent exposure. Most any pub with a readership will pay. And any pub that doesn't pay is going to be of lower quality, because they will only attract newer writers, so it isn't much of a big break.

I would not offer a number first. Something to the effect of 'I write for paid assignments, what rate would you be able to offer for this piece?'

Basically what they are doing is taking advantage of your eagerness to get published, to either offer to write for free or lowball your rate.

Either way don't lose too much sleep over this one, they don't sound like great people to work for and you'll likely move on after your first couple of pieces elsewhere.

Witch_turtle

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for reminding me that my time and effort is worth getting paid for. I definitely get that, but I suppose my excitement at having my first opportunity threw me a little :)

I've spent a lot of time learning the ins and outs of fiction publishing, but never looked into freelance/article writing before. I'll certainly spend some more time reading through these forums from now on.

Rep points for all!

yendor1152

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
You should only write for free if you have absolutely no clips. And even then just a piece or two to get clips. I've been doing this just 3 months now, and everybody pays. Even when I had nothing for clips, they paid something.

Melina's point is valid that you should sacrifice to get your name out there. But I can't think of a publication that both does not pay writers and offers them decent exposure. Most any pub with a readership will pay. And any pub that doesn't pay is going to be of lower quality, because they will only attract newer writers, so it isn't much of a big break.

I would not offer a number first. Something to the effect of 'I write for paid assignments, what rate would you be able to offer for this piece?'

Basically what they are doing is taking advantage of your eagerness to get published, to either offer to write for free or lowball your rate.

Either way don't lose too much sleep over this one, they don't sound like great people to work for and you'll likely move on after your first couple of pieces elsewhere.

I just saw this thread. Sorry to say, but not "everybody" with a readership pays for freelance contributions. How could someone who's "been doing this for three months" possibly know that? Come on.

You, as the freelancer, must do your homework and find out--before submitting--what the rates are, so there won't be any confusion or disappointment. And there's nothing wrong with writing for free, if you like the subject matter and are mainly interested in seeing your piece published. It's not merely to "get clips." That's just ridiculous. Exposure and experience are important, especially when you're starting out. The beauty of being a freelancer is that you make your own decisions, and "writing for free" is always an option.